Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is looked at in Medicals

Wikiposts

What is looked at in Medicals

Old Jan 31st 2003, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Default What is looked at in Medicals

Do they get a medical history for you both or is it your fitness at the time as they only last a year, anyone know what's on them apart from an X ray and HIV test ?

Regards

Carrianne
Old Jan 31st 2003, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is looked at in Medicals

Like most medicals you get to tick boxes declaring any previous health problems, other than that I don't think they check history.

Mash..

Originally posted by Carrianne
Do they get a medical history for you both or is it your fitness at the time as they only last a year, anyone know what's on them apart from an X ray and HIV test ?

Regards

Carrianne
Old Jan 31st 2003, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is looked at in Medicals

I would disagree with that Mash as we had ours looked ath this week and they new EVERYTHING about me (including stuff when i was 16). It felt very invasive that they were asking personal questions about my past. I'm not sure where they got this info from but I am not happy about it.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has had this experience.

Originally posted by mashiraz
Like most medicals you get to tick boxes declaring any previous health problems, other than that I don't think they check history.

Mash..
Old Jan 31st 2003, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Ah I see - ticky boxes good
Old Jan 31st 2003, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Unhappy

Grub,

They obviously had your medical records which I thought they would have to get you to allow them to see, like when thry ask them from you in work you have to give your consent under the data protection act .... not sure though with this & immigration ?

Anyone else ?
Old Jan 31st 2003, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Goose is an unknown quantity at this point

They don't "check medical history" as such. They rely on you to provide the history (as mashiraz correctly stated) by asking you to tick boxes eg have you ever suffered from cancer, tuberculosis etc.

If you mislead them by ommitting something on the questionaire they have the right to revoke any PR visa granted under such "fraudulent" circumstances. Don't know of any-one its ever been applied to though.

The XRay is to pick up illnesses such as tuberculosis and the medical itself is a doddle. You are given an eye test (err what letter is this, and this, and this?), a hearing test (doctor stands on other side of room and asks if you can hear him/her), a bit of professional prodding around boobs and nether reasons, a blood test (for obvious reasons) and a urine test.

A word of caution...use your discretion when answering the questionaire. If you truly think something is irrelevant don't mention it. Question box = have you had any surgery recently? I let on that I had had a minor shoulder operation to shave some bone in my shoulder socket because I was experiencing pain serving at tennis. Our application was delayed whilst I had to revert back to the surgeon months later and get him to confirm that the surgery was not going to affect my profession! As an accountant!
Old Jan 31st 2003, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Goose is an unknown quantity at this point

Whoah! I am not aware of them ever having access to medical records but then our medicals were not taken in the UK.
Old Jan 31st 2003, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Goose x
Old Feb 2nd 2003, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Having known quite a lot of people going through their medicals I think it also depends on which doctor you see, as apart from the essentials like blood/urine tests, x-rays etc it seems to vary how thorough they are in different areas. For example, some women I've talked to didn't have their breasts examined, some did. Don't forget you can ask for a chaperone and are entitled to one!

The doctor we saw wasn't very thorough, we saw him late on a friday afternoon and he seemed far more concerned with having his money - in cash! Not that I'm complaining.

My son's eye test was a joke - can you see the chart?! He wanted to read the letters bless him but the doctor wasn't interested!

The doctor doesn't have access to your medical records, only the information you have supplied.
Old Feb 2nd 2003, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

thanks, it does seem very varied and dependant doesn't it, I am in Perth but not sure where we will be sent possibly edinburgh or Glasgow.

Cheers

Carrianne
Old Feb 2nd 2003, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Ginny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Carrianne
thanks, it does seem very varied and dependant doesn't it, I am in Perth but not sure where we will be sent possibly edinburgh or Glasgow.

Cheers

Carrianne
Hi there,

We're in Dundee and only had to tick boxes, blood and urine test etc. No delving through past medical notes. We didn't get sent to one particular place. We were asked to produce these and got the Docs details off the designated list. Just so happens that one was in Dundee.

Hope this helps.

Ginny
Old Feb 2nd 2003, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point

What about the illegal drug question ? What if you smoked a doobie recently ? Do they check you for doobieness ? Or are they looking for Class-A's when they take your blood or is it just a HIV, Hep. test ? A friend of mine has his medicals soon and he is a doobie smoker.....:scared:
Old Feb 2nd 2003, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

wolfens_wife is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ginny
Hi there,

We're in Dundee and only had to tick boxes, blood and urine test etc. No delving through past medical notes. We didn't get sent to one particular place. We were asked to produce these and got the Docs details off the designated list. Just so happens that one was in Dundee.

Hope this helps.

Ginny

What kind of questions do they ask you? I know its ticking boxes, but I can't find any information on it anywhere! Got medical coming up anytime this year!

thanks

Mich
Old Feb 2nd 2003, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

jambo_g is an unknown quantity at this point

Just had my medical in the surgery in Edinburgh.

Quick and painless. No past medical notes.

Got caught with the tattoo thing though!!

I had to fork out for three Hepatitis tests at £20 a go.

The whole thing came to £140!!

Graham