Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What to look for...............

What to look for...............

Old Apr 14th 2008, 8:20 am
Am i dreaming??

RachT08 will become famous soon enough
Smile What to look for...............

We're going on our research trip next April and was wondering what kind of things we should look for in somewhere we'd like to live. This may be a bit obvious to some, but i've only ever lived in one town my whole life.
Places we're going to are Cairns, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide.
Anyone already there or been?? Pros and Cons for all would be ace.

Thanks guys
Old Apr 14th 2008, 8:37 am
Now an expat!

MonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really nice
Default Re: What to look for...............

Originally Posted by RachT08
We're going on our research trip next April and was wondering what kind of things we should look for in somewhere we'd like to live. This may be a bit obvious to some, but i've only ever lived in one town my whole life.
Places we're going to are Cairns, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide.
Anyone already there or been?? Pros and Cons for all would be ace.

Thanks guys
As you have only lived in a small town like Weymouth, would you really want to live in a big city? You may find most the places on your list are to big and may find it useful to research some smaller towns away from the cities.
I had the same problem, small town, steady job, not a big fan of cities. So I set out to find a town or area of similar size to what I was used to. Having said that, I love Sydney but don't think I could live there (Or afford to!).
Old Apr 14th 2008, 8:41 am
Am i dreaming??

RachT08 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MonkeyBoySteve
As you have only lived in a small town like Weymouth, would you really want to live in a big city? You may find most the places on your list are to big and may find it useful to research some smaller towns away from the cities.
I had the same problem, small town, steady job, not a big fan of cities. So I set out to find a town or area of similar size to what I was used to. Having said that, I love Sydney but don't think I could live there (Or afford to!).
Yes i had thought of that, i'm not a fan of city life. But my knowledge of oz suburbs is small (ie none ) Going in to this blind is bad, but i dont know where to look to find out more info!!!
Old Apr 14th 2008, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Hi, I recommend, Victor harbour and Cleland wildlife centre in Adelaide!

Bluekipper
Old Apr 14th 2008, 11:20 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of recent threads with info on Cairns.....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=cairns
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=cairns

Follow the links in them to see pictures and suburb info.

We came from a small town and Cairns suits us down to the ground.
Tremendous variety in a relatively small (in Aus terms) area.

Cairns is actually more like a country town than a city.