Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what is a living wage in oz????

what is a living wage in oz????

Old Feb 16th 2003, 4:59 pm
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future
Default what is a living wage in oz????

Just excactly how much do people need to be earning to live comfortably in oz. I know some things in oz are cheeper than the u.k. but because the wages are less aswel how can i find the right balance if you know what i mean??
For instance in the u.k theres definitaly a north/south devide in the wages and house prices. but is there such a devide between the u.k and oz?
the reason i`m asking is that my job in oz pays about £5000 less a year than it does here in the u.k. and i just manage to get by on that.
Old Feb 16th 2003, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

form 1105i states that in 1997 households of 2 or 3 migrants who had lived in aus. for less than 2 yrs. spent on average $700 a week.

married couple renting would need $355

single person renting would need $215

this is based on social security payments intended to provide a minimum standard of living.

Terry
Old Feb 16th 2003, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold

Hi Denhim,

Read somewhere on the Internet (Cost of Living Webiste I think) that if you earn for instance £500 in the UK you would have to earn £350 in Australia to have the same standard of living. What they base this on is anyone's guess. I'd imagine it depends mostly where you are going to set up home, same as the UK really, choose Sydney and you'll pay a whole lot more than other cities.
Good Luck
Santa
Old Feb 16th 2003, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Terry
form 1105i states that in 1997 households of 2 or 3 migrants who had lived in aus. for less than 2 yrs. spent on average $700 a week.

married couple renting would need $355

single person renting would need $215

this is based on social security payments intended to provide a minimum standard of living.

Terry

Just got to say that I am currently unemployed, and renting at $370 per fortnight. I am living on social security payments of $497 per fortnight and that includes around $99 of rent relief.
Old Feb 16th 2003, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

That's a how long's a piece of string question!
Old Feb 16th 2003, 10:29 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what is a living wage in oz????

Originally posted by denhim
Just excactly how much do people need to be earning to live comfortably in oz. I know some things in oz are cheeper than the u.k. but because the wages are less aswel how can i find the right balance if you know what i mean??
For instance in the u.k theres definitaly a north/south devide in the wages and house prices. but is there such a devide between the u.k and oz?
the reason i`m asking is that my job in oz pays about £5000 less a year than it does here in the u.k. and i just manage to get by on that.

This is a difficult question to answer and I'm still trying to work it out after being in Brisbane for a short time. I also took a pay cut to come here but don't yet know if I'm better off.

Cost of living comparisons suggest that Oz is about 70-75% of cost of UK but it depends what you spend your money on. If you spend money on high taxed things in UK like fuel, booze and fags you'll save quite a bit with fuel at 32p/litre, #5 bottles of wine for #1.75 and fags costing #2.70 a pack (sorry, I can't find a pound symbol on keyboard so using #!)

Also housing is cheap, I rent a big four bed, two living (rumpus) room house with pool for the same cost as the small 3 bed house in the UK we left.

You could also check out grocery prices at www.woolworths.com.au. Eating out is much cheaper, #10 should cover a decent pub lunch with drinks for two. Also, no TV licence required, no council tax to pay if you rent. Try www.realestate.com.au for propert/rental costs.
Old Feb 17th 2003, 5:09 am
Perthguy1

Originally posted by jayr
This is a difficult question to answer and I'm still trying to work it out after being in Brisbane for a short time. I also took a pay cut to come here but don't yet know if I'm better off.

Cost of living comparisons suggest that Oz is about 70-75% of cost of UK but it depends what you spend your money on. If you spend money on high taxed things in UK like fuel, booze and fags you'll save quite a bit with fuel at 32p/litre, #5 bottles of wine for #1.75 and fags costing #2.70 a pack (sorry, I can't find a pound symbol on keyboard so using #!)

Also housing is cheap, I rent a big four bed, two living (rumpus) room house with pool for the same cost as the small 3 bed house in the UK we left.

You could also check out grocery prices at www.woolworths.com.au. Eating out is much cheaper, #10 should cover a decent pub lunch with drinks for two. Also, no TV licence required, no council tax to pay if you rent. Try www.realestate.com.au for propert/rental costs.
To insert a £ symbol.....START-PROGRAMS-ACCESSORIES-SYSTEM TOOLS-CHARACTER MAP....copy the symbol you want then go back to here and paste it.

£

Old Feb 17th 2003, 5:17 am
Perthguy1

Originally posted by jayr

To insert a £ symbol.....START-PROGRAMS-ACCESSORIES-SYSTEM TOOLS-CHARACTER MAP....copy the symbol you want then go back to here and paste it.

£