Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is it like trying to start a business in Oz?

What is it like trying to start a business in Oz?

Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

foxychic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is it like trying to start a business in Oz?

It is apparent that there are relatively few who choose to go on a business visa, however for those of us who have, having just read the thread "take stock, most return home" there were a couple of posts on this thread stating how difficult it is to start and run a business in Oz, not as good as the UK etc. Just wondered if there were any others who have started their business in Oz and what experiences you have had.

I would mention at this time that we are not expecting it to be dead easy and making tons of money in our first year, we are imagining it will be similar to starting a new business in the UK along with all the associated problems.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of
Default Re: What is it like trying to start a business in Oz?

I will bump this up for you as i also have a mild interest.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 9:44 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

It's something I'm considering too. I think the bottom line is to research your market incredibly well and maked damned sure there are people out there who want your services. That said, my BIL set up a tile franchise store in Sydney - had a great spot, the chain was a nationally recognised one, they had good stock and staff - and yet it failed. Sometimes these things just don't work out no matter how much effort you put into them. I suspect it's worth remembering that and building an escape route of some sort into your business plan.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Bump.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 9:54 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by foxychic
It is apparent that there are relatively few who choose to go on a business visa, however for those of us who have, having just read the thread "take stock, most return home" there were a couple of posts on this thread stating how difficult it is to start and run a business in Oz, not as good as the UK etc. Just wondered if there were any others who have started their business in Oz and what experiences you have had.

I would mention at this time that we are not expecting it to be dead easy and making tons of money in our first year, we are imagining it will be similar to starting a new business in the UK along with all the associated problems.
Having started a couple of businesses here, I can say that it gets easier as you get to know the systems to work with.

When I started my first UK ones it was difficult, as I didn't know what to do to begin with, but it was easier for the next one. I had very much the same experience when I started here aswell.

Consequently it will be harder than in the UK, as you won't have the local experience/knowledge.

Old Aug 24th 2005, 9:54 am
BLC

About on par with the UK, still form filling, taxes to pay, hassles, hassles, hassles and more hassles

I would say if you have been in business in the UK you would be at an advantage, though it is different but like others have said research like mad, don't put in more than you can afford to lose and have a back up plan.

Do get yourself onto a small business course in Australia, learn about the wonders of GST, award rates, legals, H&S etc. A few places to wet the palette -

http://www.ausindustry.gov.au/

http://www.australianbusiness.com.au/

ABCDiamond is the one to ask

Best wishes
B

Old Aug 24th 2005, 10:07 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

How do you obtain an ABN?
Old Aug 24th 2005, 10:15 am
BLC

Originally Posted by bridiej
How do you obtain an ABN?
http://www.abr.gov.au/ABR_BC/

http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/pat...59#001_003_021

B

Old Aug 24th 2005, 10:21 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers m'dear!
Old Aug 24th 2005, 10:33 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by BLC
ABCDiamond is the one to ask
You seem to be doing a pretty good job yourself

Old Aug 24th 2005, 10:44 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

To start a business is relatively easy and straight forward, and no more difficult than the UK. I’ve started 2 here so far and 1 in the UK. All you need is an ABN number really and off you go trading. BUT here is where we have found it much harder than the UK. To get stock is frustratingly difficult, well for us anyway. Long unreliable lead times and high and complicated import procedures. I was going to start an online computer store similar to dabs.com back home but after months of research and talking to suppliers and manufacturers and also taking stock of what the other online computer retailers were like, I gave up on the idea. Many parts would be obsolete or highly devalued before I could offer them for sale. My lingerie company became very expensive to stock for because the stock delivery and lead times were so long and unreliable I was having to stock a phenomenal amount of stock so that I wouldn’t disappoint the end customer. As a result the Lingerie company is on temporary wind down whilst we get passed the first few months of having our 1st child. Then when I’ve plucked up the courage I will need to buy a very large stock to buffer me against the delivery problems.

My 2nd business here is much more relaxing and rewarding and I highly recommend it to anyone with some decent land. Breeding Alpacas! Lovely animals and they run the business for me.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 10:46 am
BLC

Originally Posted by arkon
My 2nd business here is much more relaxing and rewarding and I highly recommend it to anyone with some decent land. Breeding Alpacas! Lovely animals and they run the business for me.
Sorry if this sounds a daft question but what do you breed them for?

B

Old Aug 24th 2005, 11:15 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BLC
Sorry if this sounds a daft question but what do you breed them for?

B
It's not a daft question at all. Someone thought I was breeding them for sausages once. You breed them to improve the Australian stock. A long long time ago, 1000's years in fact the Incas kept Alpacas for their very fine fleece. Far better than sheep. A very soft strong fiber. But that was then. The know-how was lost with the Incas and in the years since then the fleece is nowhere as good as it used to be. So what we and many others are doing is to, by selective breeding. Bring the fleece micron levels back to what it used to be so that we are all wearing Alpaca wool rather than sheep wool.

Alpacas are far more environmentally friendly than sheep, suffer far fewer problems and diseases than sheep and are just generally a far nicer animal.

So in a nut shell we are breeding a better class of Alpaca to eventually replace the merino wool sheep. Also a nice good quality pregnant female sells for about $5000-$10000 and a good quality stud male anywhere up to $150,000!
Old Aug 24th 2005, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Bengyboo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Foxy my 163 chum,

Will let you know how easy it is to start in the next few days!! But if you can do the 163 application it will be a breeze. I am going to meet SteveyP's accountant I am hoping to let him do it all.

Running and reaching our target t/o is a different matter, maybe we can buy each others service??
Old Aug 24th 2005, 11:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
So in a nut shell we are breeding a better class of Alpaca to eventually replace the merino wool sheep. Also a nice good quality pregnant female sells for about $5000-$10000 and a good quality stud male anywhere up to $150,000!
Geez and you still get upset with Bunnings, the local cinema and boatyard (only joking).

Alpacas seem to be appearing everywhere in the UK as well as Oz (a farm near us in Scotland has changed from horses to alpacas). I keep calling them llamas but my wife tells me everytime they are alpacas. I found out I might be technically right because the dictionary says they are sheeplike animals from Peru, a species of llama. I hope they don't go the same way as emus and ostriches et al as a commercial opportunity.

Just on the general theme of difficulty of starting up a business, it's worth bearing in mind that only 50% of small UK businesses are still in existence after 3 years. The ease or difficulty of startup could be the least of one's worries!

OzTennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.