Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is it like now that you are here in OZ

What is it like now that you are here in OZ

Old Jul 15th 2004, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Default What is it like now that you are here in OZ

Hi,

I was such a frequent poster on here, going through the process and chatting almost every night, making friends getting advice having debates.

But I would like to pose a question to all those who have moved out in here in the past year?

How did you find the move? What where your expectations before going? Where did you move? What would you have done differently if you could go back?
How is life now? Different or better?

For me we found the move stressful without even realising we where stressed. We decided to save and travel on our way over which was great but there is such anticipation for your new life you cannot relax. I don't think we would change anything, we planned well, knew what part of Oz we wanted to move to and where not disappointed. As we have travelled Australia before.

We had no expectations and I think this really helps it's not a pessimistic point of view it's just acceptance that you are who you are and that won't change when you go to a new country.

Life now is good, although different. There is a lot of red tape and excitement on arrival and that soon steadies out. I don't analyse things to much, but occasionally I think, Oh I miss something and it will be really silly and it will go away, something like, Well no laughing now Ant and Dec's humour on telly. Or Chips and curry. I said they where silly.

I noted that I am more laid back and TV is no longer something I watch when I come in.

We have been lucky with work and got jobs quickly but that for me was after spending most days on the internet in Work Directions as its free to search and apply for loads of jobs and getting turned down for loads. I never gave up.

So how is it for you know, what do you love and Hate?

Old Jul 15th 2004, 10:33 am
Shaun&MIchelle

michellecarre is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is it like now that you are here in OZ

Originally posted by Carrianne
Hi,

I was such a frequent poster on here, going through the process and chatting almost every night, making friends getting advice having debates.

But I would like to pose a question to all those who have moved out in here in the past year?

How did you find the move? What where your expectations before going? Where did you move? What would you have done differently if you could go back?
How is life now? Different or better?

For me we found the move stressful without even realising we where stressed. We decided to save and travel on our way over which was great but there is such anticipation for your new life you cannot relax. I don't think we would change anything, we planned well, knew what part of Oz we wanted to move to and where not disappointed. As we have travelled Australia before.

We had no expectations and I think this really helps it's not a pessimistic point of view it's just acceptance that you are who you are and that won't change when you go to a new country.

Life now is good, although different. There is a lot of red tape and excitement on arrival and that soon steadies out. I don't analyse things to much, but occasionally I think, Oh I miss something and it will be really silly and it will go away, something like, Well no laughing now Ant and Dec's humour on telly. Or Chips and curry. I said they where silly.

I noted that I am more laid back and TV is no longer something I watch when I come in.

We have been lucky with work and got jobs quickly but that for me was after spending most days on the internet in Work Directions as its free to search and apply for loads of jobs and getting turned down for loads. I never gave up.

So how is it for you know, what do you love and Hate?

We are not even there yet, but I wondered about TV, really sad but I was wondering whether you could get Digital TV over there, therefore you should be able to tune into English channles! Obvioulsy not, does that mean I will have to wean myself off soaps!??
Old Jul 15th 2004, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Honestly it doesn't really matter, you can get foxtel or Austar that has Uk tv on there but, ABC has stuff like the the bill etc. I used to love Hollyoaks but never seen it or even missed it. So you will get used to it. I have never really looked back. I think it was more our dry sense of humour I meant.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 10:40 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by michellecarre
We are not even there yet, but I wondered about TV, really sad but I was wondering whether you could get Digital TV over there, therefore you should be able to tune into English channles! Obvioulsy not, does that mean I will have to wean myself off soaps!??
On my recent trip I watched a bit of TV mainly because it was cold and dark at 5 pm.
Australian TV is dire and apart from ABC is virtually unwatchable because of the adverts.
IMO satellite or cable is essential although dominated, inevitably, by sport (as is every news programme).
Don't say that you will be too busy doing 'outdoor' things to need telly because you won't be on cold,dark winter evenings.

G
Old Jul 15th 2004, 10:42 am
Shaun&MIchelle

michellecarre is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Grayling
On my recent trip I watched a bit of TV mainly because it was cold and dark at 5 pm.
Australian TV is dire and apart from ABC is virtually unwatchable because of the adverts.
IMO satellite or cable is essential although dominated, inevitably, by sport (as is every news programme).
Don't say that you will be too busy doing 'outdoor' things to need telly because you won't be on cold,dark winter evenings.

G
Lots of sport!! Don't like the sound of that, no I agree even you do lots of outdoor things, still like to relax in front of TV sometimes. Better get my mum taping all the soaps and send them on a monthly basis!!
Old Jul 15th 2004, 10:48 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by michellecarre
Lots of sport!! Don't like the sound of that, no I agree even you do lots of outdoor things, still like to relax in front of TV sometimes. Better get my mum taping all the soaps and send them on a monthly basis!!
I think the soaps are available on satellite/cable but a couple of years behind.
Someone who watches them will be able to tell you better

G
Old Jul 15th 2004, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

I think mainly the same as you Carrianne, nothing specific, just the odd thought now and again.

Hate - The 'Hungry Jacks' advert on the tv. That tune drives me round the twist.

Whisky
Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, what a question. How is it for me now?
I was writing a letter to a mate back in the UK at lunchtime today; I said I'd write my whinges, then I'd write about the stuff I love. The worst bit was realising I had filled 6 pages with gripes, but struggled to do 2 on the positive stuff.
TV seems to have been the thing people have picked up on from Carrianne's post. I used to watch quite a bit, the TV was on all evening. Now I watch one programme a week (Casualty onUKTV). The rest of the time the box is on, The Bloke is staring at it, but its mostly tripe, not worth watching. I get to see the odd Brit sitcom now and then, but I'm surprised how easily I have almost banished TV from my life.
So I've been here nearly 9 months, on the northern edge of Brissie; I'm now married, done a tax return, had 2 jobs, should be starting to feel at home.......
How was the move? Surprisingly easy, very sad to be saying goodbyes, but the actual organising of the flight and leaving work and packing all went really smoothly (at that end anyway!). Don't think i'd do anything differently, except use a different moving company, but who knows, I might have had c**p service from another one too.
I was lucky to have The Bloke here waiting for me, meant that we had somewhere to live, and a car, and all that sort of thing. I didn't have any worries like that to sort out. However I still have a feeling that I am living in "his" house, because his things are all around, and most of mine are still packed, and could stay that way for years as theres no chance of buying on our low wages.
I was lucky that I got a job at once, and when the contract finished I picked up another straight away. However the pay is low, the holidays non-existent, I won't go on, I've already posted enough on that subject. The food is expensive and often poorer quality - I eat far less here.
I've got plenty of friends on the forum, and get the chance to meet up with some of them from time to time. However, I have no mates around here, don't know anyone who lives close, and work with a bunch of women I have nothing in common with. I've become mates with a Kiwi at work, but she has her own life outside.
I miss my lifestyle - going out for drinks and meals with friends,just chatting with them or shopping with them. I miss my job more than I ever thought I would, even though I knew it was special and I'd never find another like it. And I miss my mates and family.
I wouldn't go back; I love The Bloke, I love the idea of the relaxed lifestyle that I might have one day here, I love the scenery and the landscape that I might be able to afford to visit one day. I want to love Australia. But at the moment I just seem to be in the same daily grind as in the UK, like a hamster on a wheel, getting nowhere, except that here I am lonelier and colder, and I no longer know where "home" is.

Bet you wish you'd never asked! Now pass me my rose-tinted specs and I'll put them back on....
Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:12 am
Bitter and twisted

Chin up Polly

I am already having severe doubts about having any social life on my observations so far.
I am sure it will happen but take will take time.

Best wishes

G
Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:23 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
Hmm, what a question. How is it for me now?
I was writing a letter to a mate back in the UK at lunchtime today; I said I'd write my whinges, then I'd write about the stuff I love. The worst bit was realising I had filled 6 pages with gripes, but struggled to do 2 on the positive stuff.
TV seems to have been the thing people have picked up on from Carrianne's post. I used to watch quite a bit, the TV was on all evening. Now I watch one programme a week (Casualty onUKTV). The rest of the time the box is on, The Bloke is staring at it, but its mostly tripe, not worth watching. I get to see the odd Brit sitcom now and then, but I'm surprised how easily I have almost banished TV from my life.
So I've been here nearly 9 months, on the northern edge of Brissie; I'm now married, done a tax return, had 2 jobs, should be starting to feel at home.......
How was the move? Surprisingly easy, very sad to be saying goodbyes, but the actual organising of the flight and leaving work and packing all went really smoothly (at that end anyway!). Don't think i'd do anything differently, except use a different moving company, but who knows, I might have had c**p service from another one too.
I was lucky to have The Bloke here waiting for me, meant that we had somewhere to live, and a car, and all that sort of thing. I didn't have any worries like that to sort out. However I still have a feeling that I am living in "his" house, because his things are all around, and most of mine are still packed, and could stay that way for years as theres no chance of buying on our low wages.
I was lucky that I got a job at once, and when the contract finished I picked up another straight away. However the pay is low, the holidays non-existent, I won't go on, I've already posted enough on that subject. The food is expensive and often poorer quality - I eat far less here.
I've got plenty of friends on the forum, and get the chance to meet up with some of them from time to time. However, I have no mates around here, don't know anyone who lives close, and work with a bunch of women I have nothing in common with. I've become mates with a Kiwi at work, but she has her own life outside.
I miss my lifestyle - going out for drinks and meals with friends,just chatting with them or shopping with them. I miss my job more than I ever thought I would, even though I knew it was special and I'd never find another like it. And I miss my mates and family.
I wouldn't go back; I love The Bloke, I love the idea of the relaxed lifestyle that I might have one day here, I love the scenery and the landscape that I might be able to afford to visit one day. I want to love Australia. But at the moment I just seem to be in the same daily grind as in the UK, like a hamster on a wheel, getting nowhere, except that here I am lonelier and colder, and I no longer know where "home" is.

Bet you wish you'd never asked! Now pass me my rose-tinted specs and I'll put them back on....
oh Poll........you sooo need a good night to cheer you up. If my bl*ody house had sold and I was over there I'd be straight round to drag you out for some retail and serious alcohol therapy!!!!

>>>>sending you a big cyber hug to cheer you up

Petra
Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody hell Polly,
It makes me feel really sad when I read how things are going for you, after all we go through to get ourselves out here. The hours and hours we spent on here before we came out. The hopes, the dreams, and especially all the heartaches we had.
Somewhere in the middle of all that, I felt that we had become good friends on here, and just hate to think that things aren't going too well your side.
Polly, I really do hope that things will change for you and hubby soon.
You know where i am if you need a chat, but too far for a good night out.

Whisky
Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:34 am
Frequent Flyer

pirate is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Carrianne

I moved to Brisbane with my husband last September. I have lived here on and off for the last 6 years but this is the first time for my husband. I'll bullet point the positives that we have found;

* Higher fitness levels and participate in more sport
* Eat out regularly (it's more affordable)
* Enjoy more of an outdoor lifestyle
* Fantastic weather all year round
* Larger house to live in
* Cheap petrol
* Australians are friendly, genuine and helpful
* Cheap internal flights (thanks to Virgin and Jetstar)
* Wonderful food, farmers markets, supermarkets much improved
* TV so bad that we don't watch it (a great positive)
* Visit theatre/cinema/sportsvenues/music venues regularly
* No real traffic jams (yet)
* Excellent sports facilities and public transport
* Doing breakfast
*Brisbane is a smart & modern cosmopolitan city

Negatives

* Appalling driving skills, (no skills)
* Too many car accidents
* Too many powerful cars driven by idiots
* Redneck element still apparent here and there
* Not so hot at giving good service in business
* Not a great choice in clothing, Sydney and Melbourne are better
* Where are all the shoes? A lack of lovely European shoes
* No daylight saving - a huge negative for me

I think that's where I'll leave it for now.

Pirate
Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno, sometimes I wonder whether its just that I'm getting my comeuppance for being too complacent!! I didn't expect it all to be fantastic at once, but after 9 months i thought it might at least feel a bit like home, especially as I WANT it to feel like home.

Like you say Whisky we went through a lot before we got here, and people like Tinaj and Carriannelived through it all with us. Its odd how some people just find their feet at once and slot into a new life, while others find it tough going. Still, it could be worse,a nd I'm sure it'll all fall into place in the end. I'm not beaten yet by along way And I now have 25 pairs of M&S knickers that arived by airmail yesterday! Oh the little things that make you laugh

Be interested to hear some more honest answers to Carrianne's post. Come on guys, I've bared my soul, your turn now
Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

25 pairs - blimey - you could open your own store with that many

Whisky
Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

What a question, just as I was off to bed.

4 years and different emotions from all family members each year.

Generally

Year 1, brilliant, invigorating, new, exciting, few hassles as we had contacts, love it.

Year 2, Things start to niggle, media, people, slackness, weather yes I did say weather, too hot, too dark too early, too cold in winter, big concerns politics, education, teen culture, job prospects money.

Year 3, Just getting on with it, settled day to day grind, accepting.
same life as UK really, work school work weekend etc.

Year 4, not a good one, kids older can express their feelings about it too, one nears adult hood and knows he has better opportunities in the UK and lets us know it 10 year old, we are totally unhappy with education system and his social life of invites to hang out at shopping mall at 10!, wants to dye hair as everyone is doing it, earings, not quite sure what happened to the innocent dream of parks and beaches . First bouts of homesickness really feel the need to go home as the UK visitors have stopped, find it very disturbing and unsettling all round, all three kids LOVE it, love the family, love the cool weather, OZ is suddenly boring I realise how much we do give up by being here, hub realises how much he could earn there Realise my 7 year old does not even know who my family are. Raises far more questions about our life in OZ than I am comfortable with. Face reality, my guess is at least two of our kids will go with their blood and end up back in the UK. As for us main concern, our financial state if we stay here, no security of income, but there are things we love time may tell if they are enough.

Last edited by jad n rich; Jul 15th 2004 at 9:15 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.