Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What life is like in Brisbane, from a newly arrived expat

What life is like in Brisbane, from a newly arrived expat

Old Sep 18th 2003, 8:20 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default What life is like in Brisbane, from a newly arrived expat

From another thread , cos dotty suggested it have its own

Originally posted by PADDAD

Dotty I love your question as I am constantly although not intentionally comparing Aus to the U.K. We have been in Brisbane a little over a month.

We had never been to Australia before and could only go by what our friends or on the television. Most of the info we got was from friends who had either visited Australia or who are already living here. I can't have been wearing tinted rosy specs because I am not disappointed, this place rocks!

The place – Beautiful. Brisbane city is one of the best looking cities I have ever seen and is spectacular at night time. The beaches here are clean and gorgeous. I was surprised that even the Gold coast was pretty despite being warned that it was very commercialized.

The people – Wonderful. The people here appear to be a lot more positive i.e. kind, helpful, friendly, approachable etc. The expressions on peoples faces as you’re walking down the street is not stressed, miserable or unapproachable – generally smiling and pleasant. Perhaps this is contributed by the fact that the sun shines on most days.

Estate Agents – Some sleazy buggers out there so don’t forget your shower gel! The other 50% were brilliant and very helpful. We had a 3 bed semi in the U.K. on a noisy road i.e. loud drunks walking past after visiting the local pubs and all sorts of traffic noise i.e. trains, planes and automobiles. We have managed to buy a brand new 4 bedroomed home with huge rumpus room, magnificent swimming pool, jacuzzi, huge double garage, two large bathrooms, two lounges, dining area, open kitchen further dining area, outside patio entertainment area and built on 3000 square metres in what is deemed as a ‘prestigious’ and established area with no mortgage to pay. So already our cost of living is substantially improved.

Food – Fantastic! The foodmarkets in the shopping centres provide superb quisine. Amazing variety of foods to choose from e.g. Chinese; Japanese, Thai; healthy options i.e. fresh juices, salads, sandwiches; burger and chips; Freshly prepared Singapore noodles; bakery; roast meats to choose from served either as a roast dinner or on sandwiches; halal foods, etc.etc. and all very delicious and affordable. I thought that the foodmarkets in the U.K. were dire.

Facilities – Manmade City beach (Sandbanks) in the centre of Brisbane! And it’s FREE! We went along there last Friday evening and took the boys aged 8 and 12. They had a large screen set up over the water and were showing the movie ‘Ice Age’, the atmosphere was glorious, again this was FREE. Gas barbecues dotted about this and beaches in general, again FREE. Live entertainment laid on for the kids, FREE. Etc. etc.

Schools - The school that my children attend was VERY welcoming. Again the staff were approachable and friendly. No undercurrents i.e. brooding, unhappy teachers to speak of. The children love it there. Very easy to enrole them, we phoned the day before to make an appointment to come in the following day and they started immediately. The class room approach to bad behavior in young children is a positive one unlike the U.K. where if children had forgotten homework or stepped out of line their names were stuck on the board with a great big thundercloud above it (humiliation is not great for a child’s confidence) – here they are given incentives i.e. stickers or acknowledgements of their good behavior and this seems to drive them forward. My 8 year old loves it! It seems that on most days when I collect him from school he is on a high about something i.e. describing a science experiment or how he was praised for doing so well in his math’s etc. As far as educational standards go my son’s math’s was not up to speed when we first arrived here, what does this say about the highly regarded church school he attended in the U.K.!

General - Everything and everyone is a lot more laid back here. This can either pee you off or you’ll fall in and love it. I haven’t come across one aggressive driver yet – I’m sure it’s just a matter of time before I do but they are obviously seem few and far between. I know there are negatives but I haven’t come across any major negatives yet. Nowhere is perfect but so far this place seems to come very near or maybe it seems that way compared to living in the U.K..

Apart from family and friends the only thing I miss about the U.K. is the long summer evenings.

Glad to see you like it so much Diana
Old Sep 18th 2003, 8:26 am
WBB

great thread, very well written, concise and informative.

made me even more determined to get there now.

Old Sep 18th 2003, 8:26 am

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of
Default Re: What life is like in Brisbane, from a newly arrived expat

Originally posted by MrsDagboy

Dotty I love your question as I am constantly although not intentionally comparing Aus to the U.K. We have been in Brisbane a little over a month.

We had never been to Australia before and could only go by what our friends or on the television. Most of the info we got was from friends who had either visited Australia or who are already living here. I can't have been wearing tinted rosy specs because I am not disappointed, this place rocks!

The place – Beautiful. Brisbane city is one of the best looking cities I have ever seen and is spectacular at night time. The beaches here are clean and gorgeous. I was surprised that even the Gold coast was pretty despite being warned that it was very commercialized.

The people – Wonderful. The people here appear to be a lot more positive i.e. kind, helpful, friendly, approachable etc. The expressions on peoples faces as you’re walking down the street is not stressed, miserable or unapproachable – generally smiling and pleasant. Perhaps this is contributed by the fact that the sun shines on most days.

Estate Agents – Some sleazy buggers out there so don’t forget your shower gel! The other 50% were brilliant and very helpful. We had a 3 bed semi in the U.K. on a noisy road i.e. loud drunks walking past after visiting the local pubs and all sorts of traffic noise i.e. trains, planes and automobiles. We have managed to buy a brand new 4 bedroomed home with huge rumpus room, magnificent swimming pool, jacuzzi, huge double garage, two large bathrooms, two lounges, dining area, open kitchen further dining area, outside patio entertainment area and built on 3000 square metres in what is deemed as a ‘prestigious’ and established area with no mortgage to pay. So already our cost of living is substantially improved.

Food – Fantastic! The foodmarkets in the shopping centres provide superb quisine. Amazing variety of foods to choose from e.g. Chinese; Japanese, Thai; healthy options i.e. fresh juices, salads, sandwiches; burger and chips; Freshly prepared Singapore noodles; bakery; roast meats to choose from served either as a roast dinner or on sandwiches; halal foods, etc.etc. and all very delicious and affordable. I thought that the foodmarkets in the U.K. were dire.

Facilities – Manmade City beach (Sandbanks) in the centre of Brisbane! And it’s FREE! We went along there last Friday evening and took the boys aged 8 and 12. They had a large screen set up over the water and were showing the movie ‘Ice Age’, the atmosphere was glorious, again this was FREE. Gas barbecues dotted about this and beaches in general, again FREE. Live entertainment laid on for the kids, FREE. Etc. etc.

Schools - The school that my children attend was VERY welcoming. Again the staff were approachable and friendly. No undercurrents i.e. brooding, unhappy teachers to speak of. The children love it there. Very easy to enrole them, we phoned the day before to make an appointment to come in the following day and they started immediately. The class room approach to bad behavior in young children is a positive one unlike the U.K. where if children had forgotten homework or stepped out of line their names were stuck on the board with a great big thundercloud above it (humiliation is not great for a child’s confidence) – here they are given incentives i.e. stickers or acknowledgements of their good behavior and this seems to drive them forward. My 8 year old loves it! It seems that on most days when I collect him from school he is on a high about something i.e. describing a science experiment or how he was praised for doing so well in his math’s etc. As far as educational standards go my son’s math’s was not up to speed when we first arrived here, what does this say about the highly regarded church school he attended in the U.K.!

General - Everything and everyone is a lot more laid back here. This can either pee you off or you’ll fall in and love it. I haven’t come across one aggressive driver yet – I’m sure it’s just a matter of time before I do but they are obviously seem few and far between. I know there are negatives but I haven’t come across any major negatives yet. Nowhere is perfect but so far this place seems to come very near or maybe it seems that way compared to living in the U.K..

Apart from family and friends the only thing I miss about the U.K. is the long summer evenings.

Nice to hear from someone else who has made the move. It's always good to read different peoples thoughts, good or bad.

Where are you in Brisbane?
Old Sep 18th 2003, 8:29 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see you enjoying it. I already know i'm gonna miss those long summer evenings, had to call the kids in at 7.45 last night as it was nearly dark then! Keep us posted won't you?
Old Sep 18th 2003, 10:23 am
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

Diana, we too have been here 7 weeks now and we would agree with your post on first impressions so far. The dark nights do take some getting used to but I guess as the temperature rises we will be glad of this.

Dawn
Old Sep 18th 2003, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

ssshhh don't tell everybody!

Been here 3 months, and the place is brilliant. I can vouch for the things that you have said.

Almost everything in this environment is better. Yes you pay more taxes....but you can see where it goes.

Old Sep 18th 2003, 10:56 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

yeah jwatson, I guess I shouldnt let on that its so great here should I
Old Sep 18th 2003, 11:00 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy

Oh bugger.........we were set on going to Melbourne.....but now after reading that post it's reminded me how lovely Brisbane is...the buildings, the river, the people....Southbank is beautiful and best of all FREE!! All my kids....including the big 38 year old hardly got out of the water there! The only thing that puts me off is the humidity Brisbane gets in summer....not sure I could cope with it. But hey you never know...
Old Sep 18th 2003, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Apparently, you do get used to the humidity - as long as you don't sleep with air-con.

Good thing about humidity is that your skin never gets dry, also it means the temp doesn't go down too far when the sun goes down. Can walk around all night in a T shirt. It does get dark early, but the nights are very usable

Its not the humidity that is the hassle really....if you can cope with a day in Singapore - only gets as bad as that once or twice a year.

It's the Mossy's that get you here
Old Sep 18th 2003, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point

Great Post!

More bait for Us SAD Dreamers, hey!!

Oh I so badly can't wait to get there!

Old Sep 18th 2003, 11:21 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

I may be talking out of my backside here.........feel free to correct me anyone but regarding the mozzies......me and an aussie mate of mine reckon it has a lot to do with your blood group as to whether they bite you loads or not......... When we validated in April my hubby and one of our sons were bitten to a red lumpy pulp ....... but me and our other 2 kids weren't bitten at all

The 2 kids who weren't bitten have the same blood group as me, other son has the same as hubby...

My aussie mate reckons the mozzies jump over her to get to her fella as she's never bitten but he is.........
Old Sep 18th 2003, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

I'm not sure if this is true, but I heard that people get bitten about the same, but, "big but" - some people don't react so much, or hardly at all, to the anti-blood clot agent that gets injected into you with each bite.

Therefore, some people don't know they have been bitten, with others each bit turns into a painful sore.

Also, when you live there for a while your body gets used to the bites and doesn't make such a big deal of them anymore

(not sure if this is true, anybody heard the same?)
Old Sep 18th 2003, 11:30 am
....is FAB

Maybe I'm just more thick skinned!!!!!!!...........no sense no feeling!!!!
Old Sep 18th 2003, 11:38 am
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough

I hardly ever get bitten and they do also climb over me to get to hubbie, he is a postive blood group and I am negative, don't know if its true but it seems to be the case with us!!!
Old Sep 18th 2003, 11:42 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by artep
I may be talking out of my backside here.........feel free to correct me anyone but regarding the mozzies......me and an aussie mate of mine reckon it has a lot to do with your blood group as to whether they bite you loads or not......... When we validated in April my hubby and one of our sons were bitten to a red lumpy pulp ....... but me and our other 2 kids weren't bitten at all

The 2 kids who weren't bitten have the same blood group as me, other son has the same as hubby...

My aussie mate reckons the mozzies jump over her to get to her fella as she's never bitten but he is.........
artep, not sure about that, all I know is that I usually take Dagboy anytime theres an invitation to a BBQ etc, that way everyone else will be bite free

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.