Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What kind of job reference do i need?

What kind of job reference do i need?

Old Jul 27th 2008, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

alexa7 will become famous soon enoughalexa7 will become famous soon enough
Default What kind of job reference do i need?

I have a dumb question
Should i ask for written references from work in UK so when i look for a job in Oz they can have it straight away or do i just get details (phone number, address etc) of my employers in uk and Oz company (their hr i assume) can take care of that? how does it work? when i moved jobs in uk i never had any written reference-just pass the details and they ask my previous themselves. How is it in Oz?
thx!
Old Jul 28th 2008, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What kind of job reference do i need?

I've generally found references are taken by phone here and are much more detailed but at the same time more of a chat. For referees in a different country then giving them the email address is usually OK.

I have always been asked for 2 referees but these do not need to have been my manager and a work colleague will do (from what I've seen very useful for those with a poor work history as you just get someone who like you to do it for you). My references here have also been done by the employment agent prior to the job offer (or the companies HR department where they don't use an agent).

I would mainly make sure you have email addresses to give for people who will provide references quickly as you don't generally get offers "subject to satisfactory references".
Old Jul 28th 2008, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of
Default Re: What kind of job reference do i need?

Nearly everywhere will take phone or written references, but I did get generic references which I have used, but usually they will either phone or write away for references anyway. Generic references won't go amiss, probably worthwhile getting them if you can.