Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What kid of Van/People Mover?

What kid of Van/People Mover?

Old Jun 29th 2008, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of
Default What kid of Van/People Mover?

We are from the US and I see that there are many vehicles in Australia that I'm not familiar with. We have 4 children under 11 (2 in car seats). We currently drive a 2001 Toyota Sienna (mini van) which seats 7 and is a wonderful van - no mechanical issues at all! I'm looking for something similar. Also interested in different/alternative fuels for vans. Are there vans with good gas mileage? Are there vans that run on alternative fuels? As you can see, I'm totally confused Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 29th 2008, 9:38 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: What kid of Van/People Mover?

Can't go too far wrong with a Toyota Tarago.

Old Jun 30th 2008, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

keijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant future
Default Re: What kid of Van/People Mover?

Mitsubishi Delica, Petrol or diesel, 4X4, 7 or 8 seats. Comfort & style

Check out www.delicaclub.com
Old Jun 30th 2008, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Can't go too far wrong with a Toyota Tarago.

Can the Tarago use E85? If yes, is E85 available in Queensland? Thanks for the link. Looks like a nice van. I'll have to check it out once we land. I love my Toyota!
Old Jun 30th 2008, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by keijei
Mitsubishi Delica, Petrol or diesel, 4X4, 7 or 8 seats. Comfort & style

Check out www.delicaclub.com
Keijei -

Thanks for the info on the Delica. I went to the website and checked it out. I love the sunroof options (current van has a sunroof). But I'm not picky...just need a way to drive the children around town - and economically is better. I like the diesel option. Thanks!
Old Jun 30th 2008, 5:32 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: What kid of Van/People Mover?

Originally Posted by tiger222
Can the Tarago use E85? If yes, is E85 available in Queensland? Thanks for the link. Looks like a nice van. I'll have to check it out once we land. I love my Toyota!
I know nothing about E85, so can't help you there!
Old Jul 1st 2008, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Does Honda have a Van available in Australia? The Honda Odyssey is a wonderful option in the US. Do they sell the Odyssey or another van in OZ?
Old Jul 1st 2008, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Does Honda have a Van available in Australia? The Honda Odyssey is a wonderful option in the US. Do they sell the Odyssey or another van in OZ?
They sell the Odyssey, comes in two forms (older / newer) the older is the same I believe as the Ford Galaxy, the newer is much more car like, although still a 7 seater.

Mitsubishi did a Nimbus, stopped production around 2002 (guessing), and now do a Grandis (similar to the new Odyssey).

Kia do a Carnival and a Grand Carnival, also a new model just out whose name escapes me.

There's a whole variety of Toyota 7/8 seater vans/peolpe movers available in addition to the Tarago, all a little older; TownAce / MasterAce / LiteAce / HiAce. The HiAce can be particularly luxurious. Some of these may be grey imports (from Japan) so watch out for suspiciously low mileage.

The bigger 4x4s generally have seven seats, but rear space is sometimes compromised; Ford Territory etc.

If you're on a budget maybe a seven/eight seater estate (station wagon) might be an option. Ones to look out for Ford Falcon / Mitsubishi Magna / Volvo V70 / Mercedes E class (old shape probably). The Volvo and Merc sometimes come with built in seats in the boot (backward facing, so only really suitable for kids), the Ford (more generally) and the Mitsubishi are sometimes converted to a 7/8 seater with the after sale addition of a third row of seats (forward facing) in the boot.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spartacus
They sell the Odyssey, comes in two forms (older / newer) the older is the same I believe as the Ford Galaxy, the newer is much more car like, although still a 7 seater.

Mitsubishi did a Nimbus, stopped production around 2002 (guessing), and now do a Grandis (similar to the new Odyssey).

Kia do a Carnival and a Grand Carnival, also a new model just out whose name escapes me.

There's a whole variety of Toyota 7/8 seater vans/peolpe movers available in addition to the Tarago, all a little older; TownAce / MasterAce / LiteAce / HiAce. The HiAce can be particularly luxurious. Some of these may be grey imports (from Japan) so watch out for suspiciously low mileage.

The bigger 4x4s generally have seven seats, but rear space is sometimes compromised; Ford Territory etc.

If you're on a budget maybe a seven/eight seater estate (station wagon) might be an option. Ones to look out for Ford Falcon / Mitsubishi Magna / Volvo V70 / Mercedes E class (old shape probably). The Volvo and Merc sometimes come with built in seats in the boot (backward facing, so only really suitable for kids), the Ford (more generally) and the Mitsubishi are sometimes converted to a 7/8 seater with the after sale addition of a third row of seats (forward facing) in the boot.
Thanks Spartacus, that was very helpful!

Now for a follow up question: Which of these models will get better gas mileage? Is there a hybrid van available in the Australian marketplace?

Thanks again!
Old Jul 1st 2008, 5:20 pm
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Is there a hybrid van available in the Australian marketplace?
I don't think there's a hybrid van in any market... I drive a Prius, and am probably going to buy one over in Oz, so I've been looking at the market. the Honda hybrid and the Prius appear to be the only hybrid cars available in Oz. The Lexus RX400h (hybrid 4x4) is available, and I think the Camry hybrid is planned (in 2010). But no hybrid vans.

Maybe your best choice is a diesel, if they do Bluetec/Bluemotion models in Oz.

Cheers
b