British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What are the key differences between the Sunshine Coast and the Gold Coast? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-key-differences-between-sunshine-coast-gold-coast-574801/)

Nix and Mike Nov 23rd 2008 5:44 pm

What are the key differences between the Sunshine Coast and the Gold Coast?

Just curious.....I know that the Gold Coast is bigger, and is the larger tourist area in Aus.
But what are the other key differences in lifestyle? Schooling? Standard of living / affordability. Other?
Just curious.....

Nix

happybunny79 Nov 23rd 2008 6:39 pm

Re: What are the key differences between the Sunshine Coast and the Gold Coast?

Would be interested in this answer too......

loubiegreen Nov 23rd 2008 8:57 pm

I would also be interested in the answer to this one.

Kind regards Lou xxx

James516 Nov 23rd 2008 10:57 pm

There aren't any differences - the two areas are indistinguishable. Many people, even locals, struggle to tell the difference between Surfer's and Caloundra. If you are daydreaming a bit when you drive, you can forget easily which one you are in.

goldchoccycoin Nov 24th 2008 12:03 am

Sunshine Caost has less employment - more unemployment, lower wages etc. Housing seems to be expensive in both areas. Gold Coast has slightly better access to Brisbane if you wish to commute (train in Sunny Coast is slower and not as accessible in my experience).

Sunshine Coast would be more laid back - depending on where you live.

If you can work from home or have a trade or career that is easy to move about then my preference would be Sunshine Coast but that's just a personal choice - unfortunately for most people they need to be where the jobs are and for most it's Brisbane - so commute is the key factor.

jad n rich Nov 24th 2008 3:52 am

Having lived in both, I would say on a day to day basis of normal life, nothing much is different, House school work etc very much the same. The areas are only 2 hours apart, in australia that is a very small time distance wise, you can drive fo r 12/18/20 hours and see nothing different and Ive dont that a few times:eek:

Both places are about one hour from brisbane, GC has a nice 4 lane highway part of that, if your at the northern end of the GC I think that bit is a better drive. Make no mistake tho, traffic on both runs in rush hour/holidays can be brutal if there is an accident or roadworks. Shops on GC, more of them, but all basically the same stuff just more of it, SC is planning more shops next year but GC does have IKEA.

Theme parks, GC has 3/4, SC gets its first next year, warner bros water park.

Both coasts have incredibly beautiful hinterland and rainforest areas.

Similar unemployment/employment levels but SC has smaller overall population.

Both also have lots of new housing estates which either appeal or DONT, they can be the cheaper form of housing.

Both places are screaming for another hospital as it brisbane.

Schools private and state, lucky draw in the end - what teacher/combo of kids you get, one parent will be happy another will be horrified.

Both have UNI and TAFE.

Some would say GC is more nightlife orientated, It is if you only looked at surfers paradise, the QLD hub of that sort of teeny stuff.

Weather very similar GC can be a degree cooler at times. Both are subtropical, hot and possible storms in summer, mid/low 20's in winter with occasional cool night.

FluffieFaerie Nov 24th 2008 5:24 am

Ignore me, I talk crap.

sa2uk2oz Nov 24th 2008 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by James516 (Post 7002413)
There aren't any differences - the two areas are indistinguishable. Many people, even locals, struggle to tell the difference between Surfer's and Caloundra. If you are daydreaming a bit when you drive, you can forget easily which one you are in.

The two seem very different to me? we live on the gold coast and have only visited the Sunshine coast for weekend away trips, however, find the sunshine coast less built up- fewer high rise buildings than Surfers - and less traffic... We are in the suburbs on the gold coast, and really happy here..