Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What jobs are people doing in Aus??

What jobs are people doing in Aus??

Old Apr 6th 2006, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of
Default What jobs are people doing in Aus??

Hi Everyone

We are in Mooloolaba Magic Land (well thats what I call it - been here 5 weeks!).

Just wondered what other folk were up to with regards jobs. We have found that for nearly every job u need a licence! We had proper jobs in UK, now looking for something more casual and part-time. Would be interesting to hear what others are up to.

Cheers

The Spinkways
Old Apr 6th 2006, 6:40 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What jobs are people doing in Aus??

Originally Posted by jacknscoob
Hi Everyone

We are in Mooloolaba Magic Land (well thats what I call it - been here 5 weeks!).

Just wondered what other folk were up to with regards jobs. We have found that for nearly every job u need a licence! We had proper jobs in UK, now looking for something more casual and part-time. Would be interesting to hear what others are up to.

Cheers

The Spinkways
Hi Fellow 'Surrey'ers'.........

Not there yet, but heading for Perth...

OH is gonne TRY and get a job doing similar to now, working with HIV+ individuals....Me, I'm gonna drive a lorry!

We are looking at starting a business though....with the intention, of course, of getting someone into manage it! Beach??? Hmmmm.!
Old Apr 6th 2006, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

Cheers

The Spinkways
We're both doing what we done in the UK...Chris is Roofing, he's working for a firm just needed to get his Blue card and thats all If he wanted to start up on his own he'd have to get a licence.

Me, I'm just about to start a job doing Care Work for the Elderly...you need to have a certificate III, but I've managed to get in on a level II which they said is sort of the same I need to get a Police check and do a 2 day First Aid Course.

Good luck with what ever you end up doing

Sue x
Old Apr 6th 2006, 10:34 pm
The Mango King

Antney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to all

Hi, well I'm doing the same job I did in the UK. I'm a General Manager working for a company that imports fresh fruit and vegetables into Australia. You don't need any licences, just a few brain cells !!! Plus the Australian produce industry is light yeard behind the UK in the way they do things.

Good luck finding a job

Anthony, Lisa & Phoebe
Old Apr 6th 2006, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

OH is gonne TRY and get a job doing similar to now, working with HIV+ individuals....Me, I'm gonna drive a lorry!
Your OH is after the same job as me then, lets hope there is more then one Has she spoke to anyone in Perth about possible jobs yet?
Tracie
Old Apr 6th 2006, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

cazz is on a distinguished road

Hi Everyone

Cheers

The Spinkways
We have been here for 12 months now, myself and my husband are both working for Ray White in Buderim . Aghhhhhhhhhh real estate agents I hear you all say but were really very nice people so need any advice (or a house give me a shout

Cazz
Old Apr 7th 2006, 2:25 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

OH is doing the same job as in the UK (which was why he was headhunted to come over here) - financial recruitment. Salary better out here.

I'm doing the same job out here but I have to call it 'marketing' these days. Not on such a good salary, pay is better in the UK. Took a while to get back to the same level I was on in the UK, employers needed convincing that I had the knowledge of the Australian market, contacts etc
Old Apr 7th 2006, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

The Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the rough

Ended up going into almost exactly the same jobs as the uk, I'm a HR person and hubbys an IT service technician.

Contemplating starting our business but not worked out what we'd like to do yet. (be nice to be in control of our own time for once)
Old Apr 7th 2006, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Hi Fellow 'Surrey'ers'.........

Not there yet, but heading for Perth...

We are looking at starting a business though....with the intention, of course, of getting someone into manage it! Beach??? Hmmmm.!

Drive a truck you mean???

My OH does this - but he did have to re-do part of his licence!!!

cost abit but easy - he has gone from a hgv to a semi license - basically same thing. But he hasn't renewed his ADR due to the cost and the difference - he feels it wouldn't be worth his while. A word of warning - before we came out here - he could command a good weekly wage driving - out here they are very poorly paid.

Sarah
Old Apr 7th 2006, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

finsbury will become famous soon enough

I work in university research in Aus and worked in the civil service/law firms in the the UK. I've been surprised by how many new opportunites I've had. Certainly worked out well once I was able to get my foot in the door with that first job.