Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What are J.a.l like to fly with??

What are J.a.l like to fly with??

Old Nov 19th 2005, 7:43 pm
Running on the spot.

rugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to behold
Default What are J.a.l like to fly with??

Hi
Anybody out there give us a review on JAL please,got it booked for our reccie in April.
Shame about the rugby today!!!
Old Nov 19th 2005, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are J.a.l like to fly with??

Originally Posted by rugbymad
Hi
Anybody out there give us a review on JAL please,got it booked for our reccie in April.
We were flying with them, but just changed dates and flights, but was told the seat pitch is really good 34 inches. have you looked at www.airlinequality.com they review most airlines.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 7:55 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I flew jal one time, they were good and what I liked most was the overnight in japan which was free. really broke up the long haul plus the arrival time in japan was about 8pm, nice and dep the next morning wasnt early so no rushing
Old Nov 19th 2005, 8:00 pm
Running on the spot.

rugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
I flew jal one time, they were good and what I liked most was the overnight in japan which was free. really broke up the long haul plus the arrival time in japan was about 8pm, nice and dep the next morning wasnt early so no rushing
Thank you both for your help! Looks ok then which has pleased the good lady breadknife!
Old Nov 19th 2005, 8:13 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

We flew with JAL last year to Brisbane.
We thought they were good. You can have a choice between Japanese and Western food on board, and unlimited drinks. They give you blankets and pillows, and the onboard entertainment included movies and "Playstation" type games in the seat backs. After a 12 hour flight from Heathrow, (we left at 7pm), we stopped at Osaka for a 7 hour stopover. Plenty of time to get a fantastic shower, (towels and hairdryer available free of charge), a meal and a snooze! The onward flight to Brisbane took 9 hours. Unfortunately there wasn't any entertainment on board this leg but as it was an overnight flight, this wasn't a problem. We arrived in Brisbane at 6.30 in the morning.
On the return flight (leaving at about 8.30am we were fortunate enough to be given Upper Deck seats. (They are still Economy seats. We didn't ask for them, but I suggest you do.) There was more leg room and storage beside your seats. Leaning against hubby I was even able to stretch right out, legs on the storage compartments and sleep! The movies on this leg were on demand so you could pause and start again whenever you wanted. We arrived in Tokyo around 5pm and were taken by minibus to a transit hotel outside the airport for an overnight stay. JAL pay for this stay as their onward flight to Heathrow doesn't leave until the next morning. They also have a checkin desk in the lobby of the hotel so that you can stay at the hotel until the last possible moment. (We checked in in our pyjama's!!! Honest, we did!). They also paid for an "eat all you like" breakfast, and then took us back to the airport. The flight left around 10am and we arrived back in Heathrow around 3.30pm.
For the price of the flights (£700 per person return, last July), I thought that it was worth the money. I would fly with them again.
Any more questions, just ask.
Julie.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 8:20 pm
Running on the spot.

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
We flew with JAL last year to Brisbane.
We thought they were good. You can have a choice between Japanese and Western food on board, and unlimited drinks. They give you blankets and pillows, and the onboard entertainment included movies and "Playstation" type games in the seat backs. After a 12 hour flight from Heathrow, (we left at 7pm), we stopped at Osaka for a 7 hour stopover. Plenty of time to get a fantastic shower, (towels and hairdryer available free of charge), a meal and a snooze! The onward flight to Brisbane took 9 hours. Unfortunately there wasn't any entertainment on board this leg but as it was an overnight flight, this wasn't a problem. We arrived in Brisbane at 6.30 in the morning.
On the return flight (leaving at about 8.30am we were fortunate enough to be given Upper Deck seats. (They are still Economy seats. We didn't ask for them, but I suggest you do.) There was more leg room and storage beside your seats. Leaning against hubby I was even able to stretch right out, legs on the storage compartments and sleep! The movies on this leg were on demand so you could pause and start again whenever you wanted. We arrived in Tokyo around 5pm and were taken by minibus to a transit hotel outside the airport for an overnight stay. JAL pay for this stay as their onward flight to Heathrow doesn't leave until the next morning. They also have a checkin desk in the lobby of the hotel so that you can stay at the hotel until the last possible moment. (We checked in in our pyjama's!!! Honest, we did!). They also paid for an "eat all you like" breakfast, and then took us back to the airport. The flight left around 10am and we arrived back in Heathrow around 3.30pm.
For the price of the flights (£700 per person return, last July), I thought that it was worth the money. I would fly with them again.
Any more questions, just ask.
Julie.
Julie,
Thanks very much for that,it looks like we are doing the same trip as you!
It's good to hear nice things as We booked and trusted our travel agents,who I have to say are very good and gave us good info as it turns out!What did you think of Brisbane then?
Ian
Old Nov 19th 2005, 8:38 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Julie,
Thanks very much for that,it looks like we are doing the same trip as you!
It's good to hear nice things as We booked and trusted our travel agents,who I have to say are very good and gave us good info as it turns out!What did you think of Brisbane then?
Ian
Love it sooo much that we'll hopefully be there to live in 9 months time!!!
Old Nov 19th 2005, 9:54 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
We were flying with them, but just changed dates and flights, but was told the seat pitch is really good 34 inches. have you looked at www.airlinequality.com they review most airlines.

I flew on jal to england last year. outbound the plane had more room than on the return flight. On the way over I had more room than the return as after arrival back in Australia I had bruises on my legs where they had been pressed against the seat in front!
Old Nov 20th 2005, 12:36 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

The only time I've had bad experiences with JAL is for their domestic flights within Japan where the seat pitch is a miserly 26-27 inches (built for the Japanese person in mind). That was painful. For international flights they were good.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 12:53 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't mind JAL at all. On the return leg make sure you leave at least an hour for immigration and security qs if you are staying overnight at Tokyo. For such a busy airport the Duty Free is useless. Buy in the UK or Australia. Kansai is smaller and the Duty Free even smaller. The building at Kansai is something else.

Anyone going via Japan should look at a stopover opportunity. We had a fantastic time there flying back into Narita, a few days in Tokyo, bullet train to Kyoto and flying out of Kansai.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

TrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Juliecabs] You can have a choice between Japanese and Western food on board, and unlimited drinks.

We flew with JAL and I agree with Julie they do give you a choice of food Western / Japanese. Trouble was for us we were sat towards the rear of the plane so by the time they got to us and we put our order in ALL the western food had gone and it was a choice of raw fish, raw fish or raw fish (well along those lines anyway!). Me and the wife could manage a couple of mouthfuls but not much and the kids eat nothing. When we brought this to the stewards attention they could not offer us anything at all for the kids - not even a buttered bread roll!! They told us that when the next meal was given out they would start at the rear of the plane but sadly this was tea (?) and the choice was not to our liking either!! Very Japanese based. By the time we arrived in Tokyo we were starving and it was straight into Ronalds place (Maccie D's) for Big Macs all round with extras!!! Moral of my tale?? Keep a packed lunch in your bag just in case!!!
Trev.