Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For what its worth...

For what its worth...

Old Jul 3rd 2003, 4:22 am
Just Joined

big stu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default For what its worth...

...some reason why coming here in Nov 99 was the BEST move we ever made...

1 Schoolkids having their PE lesson on Manly Beach in the sun then going for a swim to cool off (unheard of in UK)
2 Girlfriend being able to go to the shop at night with NO FEAR
3 Not worrying all day if my house has been burgled
4 Leaving windows open at night and hearing waves crashing, not cars!
5 Food - all fresh...and cheap!
6 pubs are friendly, rarely violent (unheard of in UK)

any more to the list?

Whoever is having doubts about it all, just do it - i gave up the lot back home and came here without a job etc....set up for life now!

Stu

Last edited by big stu; Jul 3rd 2003 at 4:25 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 5:01 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For what its worth...

Very nice too I love it already must go to Sydney , then maybe not ?

A new study has found that fear of crime is very high among the immigrant population in Sydney but paradoxically most first and second generation immigrants living in the city's south-west feel safe in their local area.

The report Gangs, Crime and Community Safety: Perceptions and Experiences in Multicultural Sydney is the result of an extensive survey of 835 adults and young people, most from a non-English speaking background, conducted by researchers from the University of Technology, Sydney and the University of Western Sydney.

"While the recent moral panic about ethnic crime in Sydney situates 'ethnics' as criminals, the research clearly reveals that 'ethnics' are also victims of crime," Professor Collins said.

http://www.uts.edu.au/new/releases/2...tember/23.html

Old Jul 3rd 2003, 5:07 am
Just Joined

northern beaches mate

safest place i`ve ever been

but coming from a very run down area of manchester, anywhere would be safe to me

never ONCE felt threatened

Stu
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 5:38 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by big stu
northern beaches mate

safest place i`ve ever been

but coming from a very run down area of manchester, anywhere would be safe to me

never ONCE felt threatened

Stu
I am sure its very nice , is it pricy or can a refugee buy in .

Old Jul 3rd 2003, 5:40 am
Just Joined

pricy compared to everywhere else.....

think the refugees are all out west....(allegedly)
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 5:43 am
Banned

pricy compared to everywhere else.....

think the refugees are all out west....(allegedly)

Well we working poor will have to dream on , the wild west is unloved by you rich sods over East.

Old Jul 3rd 2003, 5:48 am
Just Joined

actually gonna come and visit the west soon, looks very appealing...will see how the "other half" live (joke)

Stu
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 5:53 am
Banned

actually gonna come and visit the west soon, looks very appealing...will see how the "other half" live (joke)

Stu
Please do we had a couple also their daughter and her Hubby , both from Sydney (Brits) come and build 2 bloody big homes right next to where we living 100 yards from the beach great sea views .
They went back to Sydney in less than 12 months saying that WA was great for a short time but no way they would stay here as wages were poor and it was a limited life compared to the Eastern States.

Old Jul 3rd 2003, 5:57 am
Just Joined

actually meant for a holiday mate, not prepared to leave manly beach just yet!

altho an old colleague of mine lives in Perth as her hubby is in the navy and they love it

Stu
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 6:03 am
Banned

actually meant for a holiday mate, not prepared to leave manly beach just yet!

altho an old colleague of mine lives in Perth as her hubby is in the navy and they love it

Stu

You have no where better to go for a holiday , try and keep it short , average time taken to do all Perth has to offer is 3 days .
Some love it here , they realy enjoy the boredom Perth has , was rightly voted Dullsville by a travel Mag.