Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WHAT ITEMS TO BRING WITH YOU

WHAT ITEMS TO BRING WITH YOU

Old Apr 1st 2008, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

tayles will become famous soon enoughtayles will become famous soon enough
Default WHAT ITEMS TO BRING WITH YOU

Although not at the shipping stage yet, I was thinking of the things I would or wouldn't take with us.

Hoping to go to South West WA and was wondering what I would need to take in the way of winter clothes if any.

Also would you recommend taking any duvets, bedding from the Uk

Are there any other items that you wished you brought but didn't?

Just passing the time as I wait for that visa
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:16 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WHAT ITEMS TO BRING WITH YOU

there are lots of threads on this:

bedding
rotary washing line
tumble dryer
shoes
clothes
bedding
bedding
towels
bedding
more bedding
towels

bedding and towels

i'll see if i can find the thread for you
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:22 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...d+brought+with

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...d+brought+with

the last link is the best one
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:24 pm
Handsome Internet Guy

Icarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond repute

Slippers
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

tayles will become famous soon enoughtayles will become famous soon enough

Great thanks for that
Old Apr 1st 2008, 9:24 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Icarus
Slippers
Slippers with cartoon characters on them....
Old Apr 1st 2008, 11:21 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tayles
Although not at the shipping stage yet, I was thinking of the things I would or wouldn't take with us.

Hoping to go to South West WA and was wondering what I would need to take in the way of winter clothes if any.

Also would you recommend taking any duvets, bedding from the Uk

Are there any other items that you wished you brought but didn't?

Just passing the time as I wait for that visa
A small branch of Marks & Spencer!

Seriously definitely bring decent sheets and duvet covers etc. I didn't bring enough and have just ordered some by post from UK as still half the price of buying in aus.

Any favourite face creams or other items from Boots you are fond of.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 3:37 am

dazah is an unknown quantity at this point

boy i wish i brought a good english duvet with me the ones i found here are like paper nothing like the british tog raiting bigger the better for winter

a aussie one are good for summer

i had a problem first out finding kingsize sheets n quilts getting easyer now

cloths are good from uk you can spot the brit they have a better fashion sense

every time i go back to uk i stock up on my sports stuff and my suits from savil row lol i wish

oh dont forget your suntan lotion for your slip slap slop

slip on some sun cream slap on a hat slop on a shirt or some thing like that

words you will need / hear

thanx for that / no worries ( if only they new lol ) / catch ya ( they think your falling hehe) / most of all he / she cracked the shits it gives me the shits darl / hi how are ya going

thats just a few

edit **

oh and a translator lol they talk aussie not english
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 4:26 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JoolsB

Seriously definitely bring decent sheets and duvet covers etc. I didn't bring enough and have just ordered some by post from UK as still half the price of buying in aus.
Seriously? Where are you buying from if you don't mind me asking? I thought I had got some good bargains over here.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
Seriously? Where are you buying from if you don't mind me asking? I thought I had got some good bargains over here.
i have found a cheap manchester shop in geelong things way cheaper then uk my friend from nsw fills her case every time here
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 5:37 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
I used to buy from TK Maxx where I would get superking 300 thread count egyptian cotton set including duvet cover pillow cases for only 30 GBP (so $70) whereas here just a duvet cover of comparable quality is about $180 plus extra for pillow cases..

I have heard there are bargains to be found at Harris Scarfe during sale though?
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
there are lots of threads on this:

bedding
rotary washing line
tumble dryer
shoes
clothes
bedding
bedding
towels
bedding
more bedding
towels

bedding and towels

i'll see if i can find the thread for you

To be honest with you I wouldnt bother with bedding, I much prefer the stuff they sell here, & if you dont mind not to have designer stuff, I dont think its anymore expensive than UK, & towels again I wouldnt bother, & rotary washing line was invented in Australia, & almost every house with a garden has already one in it, I would suggest to bring your books, desks, PC, all your digital stuff, chest of draws, even thought most bedrooms have WIR, but you need still need draws to put your small stuff in it, all your kids toys, their playstations & games, things like that, I wouldnt even over stuck with clothes either just bring what you have & buy as you need over here.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 6:32 am

chris and farideh have just nailed it

buy what you need here sum up what it would cost you to ship as to buying here

it will work out better buying all new think about it why are you comeing to australia ?

ANSWER = a new start and a better life so start of with every thing new im still replaceing thngs now but its all fun wish i could replace wife but im stuck with her only kidding love her realy

rotary washing line was invented by a aussie and there stronger built here then the english ones some have a winder on to raise and lower
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 6:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazah
boy i wish i brought a good english duvet with me the ones i found here are like paper nothing like the british tog raiting bigger the better for winter
Bull. It must be where you're living. I've found excellent thick duvets here.

i had a problem first out finding kingsize sheets n quilts getting easyer now
Considering Aussie bed sizes are slightly different from the UK you were obviously looking for the wrong thing.

cloths are good from uk you can spot the brit they have a better fashion sense
That again must be where you are living. I have no idea if the people around me are British, French, Australian, whatever. No one looks any different from how they looked in the UK apart from the fact they are dressed for Aussie weather, not UK weather.

oh dont forget your suntan lotion for your slip slap slop
You are seriously advising someone to stock up on sun cream in the UK to bring to Aus That has to be one of the daftest things I've heard in a while.

words you will need / hear

most of all he / she cracked the shits it gives me the shits darl /
I've lived here 2 and a half years. I can honestly say I've never heard those expressions except from a couple of people on here. Did you not use colloquialisms in the UK?

To the OP I'd say it depends on how long you intend to live here. If you're only planning on coming for a couple of years then bring anything you'd want for that period of time. If you're planning on being here longer or forever then I wouldn't worry about stuff unless you need something specific. At some point you will either run out of something or it will break or wear out and you'll have to replace it with the equivalent here. No worries
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 7:14 am

most of first post was a bit f a joke

best things to bring with you is what you could never replace

if only here for short time put in storage

Last edited by dazah; Apr 2nd 2008 at 7:19 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.