Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what if your kid's not sporty!!

what if your kid's not sporty!!

Old Aug 14th 2004, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future
Default Re: what if your kid's not sporty!!

dear steandleigh

don't know about the cookie prob, he's tucked up safe in bed!

but cheers babe, he'll be happier knowing there's people like you out there!!!!

love and kindness,
honeybob....
Old Aug 14th 2004, 12:46 am
wombat42

Default Re: sorry, while i laugh mentalist!!!

Originally Posted by honeybob
can you spell rugby - go on give it a try womhom!
rugbie

Old Aug 14th 2004, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future

madsad, tonnes of karma coming your way!!!!!

thanx babe, can just imagine him now!!!

honeybob xxx
Old Aug 14th 2004, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

dear steandleigh

don't know about the cookie prob, he's tucked up safe in bed!

but cheers babe, he'll be happier knowing there's people like you out there!!!!

love and kindness,
honeybob....

Old Aug 14th 2004, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: sorry, while i laugh mentalist!!!

go on wom,

here's your opportunity to show the girls how nice you can be

honeybob x
Old Aug 14th 2004, 12:56 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

madsad, tonnes of karma coming your way!!!!!

thanx babe, can just imagine him now!!!

honeybob xxx
When he wakes tomorrow!! love him for what he is.
Not what others want him to be.

He is your's & your's alone

Love him dearly
He will pick your home.

Adios. Mr Madsad.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

madsad, you absolute babe!!!!!!!

cheers for what you said, you are right, he's my babe and i have never cared over here what others thought about his sporting abilities, regardless!!!

my love for him never flickered, just my perception of how other peers would consider him!!!

just want him to have a happy, giggly life! you know!!!!

your words meant alot!

HB x
Old Aug 14th 2004, 1:25 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

madsad, you absolute babe!!!!!!!

cheers for what you said, you are right, he's my babe and i have never cared over here what others thought about his sporting abilities, regardless!!!

my love for him never flickered, just my perception of how other peers would consider him!!!

just want him to have a happy, giggly life! you know!!!!

your words meant alot!

HB x
No worries, tomorrow is another adventure, take care, best wishes to you & the little man. What you give to life = what life gives you back, or as my Grandpa put it, i never lost anything, i just ran out of time!!
Old Aug 14th 2004, 3:18 am
Badge

I'm with Hevs. Australians are fairly tolerant to people who give "things a go"- indeed that expression is almost enshrined in Australian folklore and culture.

If he gets stuck in to something then he will get somewhere. I know stacks of Aussies (in IT) who have no interest in sports what so ever.

BM

Old Aug 14th 2004, 4:47 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Anyone elses blood sugar go up reading this, or was it just me?
Old Aug 14th 2004, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Both my kids weren't into sport at all when we came, last to be picked for teams etc., but since being here sport has become less of a chore for them & they even enjoy some types now. They'll never be Olympic athletes but at least now they're not being made fun of and are now encouraged by staff & students to give it a go.

My son, who's 9 even went to cross country training voluntarily before school for two weeks. He said he knew he wouldn't win or anything but it was a good way to keep fit - I was in total shock! Then in the school cross country last week he came 14th out of 98. I was so proud of him.

Cross it off your list of worries honeybob!

Loopy
Old Aug 14th 2004, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

It might be hard to believe but Australian kids are not some kind of super-breed - instantly born to greatness in the swimming pool, cricket oval or where-ever.

They're the same kids you get anywhere. Short ones, tall ones, fat ones, thin ones, fast runners, slow runners, co-ordinated ones, non co-ordinated ones..... Some of the kids are good at sport, some of the kids are average at sport and some of the kids are hopeless at sport. Just the same as in the UK, strangely enough.

The only difference that I have noted here is that ALL kids must be able to swim. Kids who cannot swim are viewed as decidedly odd. They don't have to be Ian Thorpe, they just need to be able to get from one end of the pool to the other.

My sons (15 and 17) are not the slightest bit sporty and never have been. They enjoy a little (gentle) physical activity, but not a lot and it's never been detrimental to them in the slightest at school or wherever. They both chose rowing or rifle shooting as their compulsory school sports (no running and no balls involved) and are very good at it - though all that practice killing people on the Playstation probably helped a bit with the rifle shooting.

Last edited by NickyC; Aug 14th 2004 at 6:31 am.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 6:31 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by nickyc
It might be hard to believe but Australian kids are not some kind of super-breed - instantly born to greatness in the swimming pool, cricket oval or where-ever.

They're the same kids you get anywhere. Short ones, tall ones, fat ones, thin ones, fast runners, slow runners, co-ordinated ones, non co-ordinated ones..... Some of the kids are good at sport, some of the kids are average at sport and some of the kids are hopeless at sport. Just the same as in the UK, strangely enough.

The only difference that I have noted here is that ALL kids must be able to swim. Kids who cannot swim are viewed as decidedly odd. They don't have to be Ian Thorpe, they just need to be able to get from one end of the pool to the other.

My sons (15 and 17) are not the slightest bit sporty and never have been. They enjoy a little (gentle) physical activity, but not a lot and it's never been detrimental to them in the slightest at school or wherever. They both chose rowing or rifle shooting as their compulsory school sports (no running and no balls involved) and are very good at it - though all that practice killing people on the Playstation probably helped a bit.
l think most or all primary schools in OZ make in compulsary for kids to learn to swim, this is because of the large numbers of Australian homes that own swimming pools and because most Australians live near the coast and spend alot of time at the beach, it is necessary for kids to know how to swim to save their lives.

Old Aug 14th 2004, 6:52 am
mick n cheryl

Originally Posted by wombat42
Being a Pom everyone would expect him to be crap at sport.
RUGBY WORLD CUP WINNERS WERE POMS I THINK

Old Aug 14th 2004, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough

Dear Honeybob

I have 2 boys and I come from a MAJOR footballing family and we live in a town where people eat, sleep and sh**e rugby. I tried the boys in both clubs.....hated it. In fact any team sport they both loathed and I really worried. When they were about 10 and 12 they found fishing and I was saved they joined the club and it became their life then a little later on they started surfing, kayaking and bodyboarding, now this is their lives and one of them is even studying at college to become a coach. Connor will find his thing when he's ready, don't worry, he may have even found it already..........Bill Gates step aside Connor Honeybob is here.

Lindsey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.