Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what if your kid's not sporty!!

what if your kid's not sporty!!

Old Aug 13th 2004, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future
Default what if your kid's not sporty!!

this is a major worry to me! my son, who is seven, isn't particularly into sport! he is, the most lush little boy, and he loves his computer!!! he's the computer monitor in his year, and even his teacher said she was amazed by his computer knowledge!

maybe i am completely naive, i have this vision of surfer kids, not enthralled by the brit kid whom isn't into sport...

maybe i'm just worrying a bit too much, but what are other people's perceptions of this.

i worry about connor, he really tries and he likes swimming, but football is a no go!
Old Aug 13th 2004, 10:25 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough
Default Re: what if your kid's not sporty!!

Originally Posted by honeybob
this is a major worry to me! my son, who is seven, isn't particularly into sport! he is, the most lush little boy, and he loves his computer!!! he's the computer monitor in his year, and even his teacher said she was amazed by his computer knowledge!

maybe i am completely naive, i have this vision of surfer kids, not enthralled by the brit kid whom isn't into sport...

maybe i'm just worrying a bit too much, but what are other people's perceptions of this.

i worry about connor, he really tries and he likes swimming, but football is a no go!
Why worry? Let the child develop his own likes.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 10:27 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

And the richest man in the world is ??????????

Siren's b/h
Old Aug 13th 2004, 10:32 pm
mick n cheryl

Swimming is one of the biggest sports over here Loads of swimming pools and swimming clubs, and football over here is played with the wrong shaped ball anyway
Don't worry about anything just sit back and look forward to your new adventure

Mick n Cheryl

Old Aug 13th 2004, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future

you're completely right! i couldn't give a stuff if con didn't like sport in oz, but you know that scenario, the last kid to be picked in sports class...

we've all seen it, i just worry too much, sorry....

Old Aug 13th 2004, 10:45 pm
wombat42

In Australia guys that are'nt sporty are often accused of batting for the other side.

Old Aug 13th 2004, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

forgive me siren, maybe i'm dim, and i know i spend far too long on this website!!!!

but what exactly did you mean?

if what you're saying is how i perceive it then thankyou....

i love my boy, wouldn't have him any other way..

billy gates watch out...
Old Aug 13th 2004, 10:51 pm
kong

Originally Posted by wombat42
In Australia guys that are'nt sporty are often accused of batting for the other side.
Wombat, you truly are the king of stereotyping the nasty, macho, redneck/narrow minded side of Australia.

Carry on like this and I shall have to retire, you are beating me in enlightening the POM dreamers of what a nasty backward and truly ignorant nation that Australia can be.

Old Aug 13th 2004, 11:00 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

forgive me siren, maybe i'm dim, and i know i spend far too long on this website!!!!

but what exactly did you mean?

if what you're saying is how i perceive it then thankyou....

i love my boy, wouldn't have him any other way..

billy gates watch out...

Yep yep. The biggest thing is though, just to give it a go. Dont have to be the best, or know how to do it, but to just try.

Siren's b/h
Old Aug 13th 2004, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

dear wom, (oh sorry, that rhymes with hom!), i honestly couldn't give a rat's ass if con isn't into sport, and if he did end up batting for the other team, so what!! as long as he is happy and a good bloke, !! (of course his boyfriend must have a nice arse, keep the mother happy - it's obligatory, in the small print!)

i just worry about con's perception of life and how he'll cope with it, and at 7 years of age i'm sure he'll be so happy with your message, i'll pass it on and try to explain the term 'clever shite'!!!!!
Old Aug 13th 2004, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

jinxnkay is on a distinguished road

my son is 8 and is exactly the same. hes not very sporty but hes academic. however since he started school in may all his class mates love him. he wins a teachers award most weeks and has been sent to the head of school to show a story that he wrote. he has had a story printed in the school news letter. his friends think its great and congratulate him. they have taught him how to play aussie rules at playtime and they dont care that he isnt very good at it. i went to watch sports day on tuesday. he didnt come first but his friends patted him on the back at the end of the race just the same.
i wouldnt worry to much about your son at 7 he will be a novelty they will love his accent and they will want to be his friend.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanx so much for that, just the therapy i needed....

con, like your son, tries so hard! he might not be the best at sport but his friends over here don't seem to mind... i just had this vision of him suffering in oz!

like your babe, he really does well at school without really showing any enthusiasm, but if you sit him down in front of a computer screen he just thrives!!!

don't know where he got it from, his dad is well into sport, but con only wanted the brazilian football strip cos he liked the colours! so he wears it all the time whilst at his screen...

don't want to put him into too stressful a situation....

regards, honeybob...
Old Aug 13th 2004, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

i loved that, football is played with the wrong shaped ball anyway!

thankyou for your advice, it was so appreciated... i think con worries about it too, so that adds to your ever burdening guilt list!!!

christ, am i doing the right thing here!

spiders (complete phobia) and computer loving kids, on a bad day i wonder if australia really is for us....

i just want what is best for my babes, am i mad?
Old Aug 13th 2004, 11:44 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

dont worry even one little bit, what is for your little man wont pass him.

People will judge him for his strength of his character not his ability to kick a football/rugby ball etc etc :lecture:
Old Aug 13th 2004, 11:50 pm
wombat42

Being a Pom everyone would expect him to be crap at sport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.