Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What if you haven't sold your house?

Wikiposts

What if you haven't sold your house?

Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default What if you haven't sold your house?

Hi,
Are there any who have migrated to Australia and haven't sold their house yet? What would happen if you sold your house after, say, 3 years and you bring the money into Australia. Would it be considered income and taxed ?

Did you get your property valued just before leaving, so that whenever you do sell it, it would be easy to show what the actual gain/loss is to the tax office?

Cheers
Anya
Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What if you haven't sold your house?

I think it all depends on whether you purchase a property in Aus without selling your house. I think its the difference between the value of your house (when you purchase a Aus house) and what it is when you sell your UK house thats the profit they take into consideration not the value when you move over. If you don't purchase until you sell your UK house as long as you do it within a certain amount of time (about 5 or 6 years i think) then its ok. Sorry if its so vague but this is what impression I am under. Oh and I do still have my property in UK so am interested as well.

Some one correct me if I am wrong.

Jo
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What if you haven't sold your house?

As far as I understood as long as you haven't bought a place in Oz then your house would remain your primary residence and therefore free of capital gains tax on the sale but you could be caught by capital gains tax on any change in the exchange rate.

From what I've read this is definitely an area where its worth paying for expert knowledge.