Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what if you dont have enough points..??

what if you dont have enough points..??

Old Oct 11th 2003, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

GazzaGeorgie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what if you dont have enough points..??

thats the question...we seem to be very borderline on both our cv's, history
wife is a enrolled nurse..its seems no go for Skilled visa unless RGN..but a wealth of experience
I'm a sales director who manages a team but...only has one person who i manage who manages someone else....if that makes sense..i think you need to manage a team who in turn manage another team...

so what do we do....any ideas or experiences...
Old Oct 11th 2003, 9:04 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

think i would speak to an agent if i were you, they will have all the answers for you.
Old Oct 11th 2003, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

SuzeM is an unknown quantity at this point

The long way round would be for your wife to do the conversion course from EN to RN and then she'd have to work as an RN for 12 months before applying as main applicant. Its probably going to take 2-3 years via this route but it depends how much you want it!
Sue
Old Oct 11th 2003, 12:05 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by SueandIan
The long way round would be for your wife to do the conversion course from EN to RN and then she'd have to work as an RN for 12 months before applying as main applicant. Its probably going to take 2-3 years via this route but it depends how much you want it!
Sue

I agree with what sue posted above - however you could apply under stni (state/territory nominated independant) class, with your wife only having 6 months post rgn conversion with her as main applicant. under stni you dont have to pass the points test, but be under 45 yrs and satisfy the english language etc.
as hev suggested, a migration agent may be able to point you in the best direction...
Old Oct 11th 2003, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
I agree with what sue posted above - however you could apply under stni (state/territory nominated independant) class, with your wife only having 6 months post rgn conversion with her as main applicant. under stni you dont have to pass the points test, but be under 45 yrs and satisfy the english language etc.
as hev suggested, a migration agent may be able to point you in the best direction...

My husband sent my cv to Queensland state territory board
yesterday. I was about to start the conversion course but decided against it due to the length of time it would take.
What do you mean by the 6 months post rgn conversion?

Georgie
Old Oct 11th 2003, 1:36 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by GazzaGeorgie
My husband sent my cv to Queensland state territory board
yesterday. I was about to start the conversion course but decided against it due to the length of time it would take.
What do you mean by the 6 months post rgn conversion?

Georgie

the nice thing about the stni class of visa is that it is for people who have jobs which are on the occupations on demand list but wouldnt pass the points test because of, for eg, not enough recent work experience (ie if you have only worked in your/any job for 2 years, and to get the extra points you have to have worked for 3 out of the previous 4 years). I am a nurse and have just gone back to work after taking 3 years out to have kids. I could apply to the states who run this type of nomination eg victoria, sa, and be assessed as someone who could quickly be integrated into the workforce as i have an occupation in demand - they waiver the 3 out of 4 years and would accept me with only 6 months experience. so if you did the conversion course and worked for 6 months then applied for stni it may get you in that way. Richard on this site sent me a link to the South Australia board and when I find the link I will post it for you.

Sue
Old Oct 11th 2003, 1:39 pm

found it...

http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/site/index.cfm

give that a whirl, it has the info you need (i think/hope!!)

sue
Old Oct 11th 2003, 1:46 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

found it...

http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/site/index.cfm

give that a whirl, it has the info you need (i think/hope!!)

sue
Yes, you beat me too it. I was going to suggest you try Adelaide.
Old Oct 11th 2003, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

the nice thing about the stni class of visa is that it is for people who have jobs which are on the occupations on demand list but wouldnt pass the points test because of, for eg, not enough recent work experience (ie if you have only worked in your/any job for 2 years, and to get the extra points you have to have worked for 3 out of the previous 4 years). I am a nurse and have just gone back to work after taking 3 years out to have kids. I could apply to the states who run this type of nomination eg victoria, sa, and be assessed as someone who could quickly be integrated into the workforce as i have an occupation in demand - they waiver the 3 out of 4 years and would accept me with only 6 months experience. so if you did the conversion course and worked for 6 months then applied for stni it may get you in that way. Richard on this site sent me a link to the South Australia board and when I find the link I will post it for you.

Sue
I realise enrolled nurse training is very dated now and most nurses have iether done the conversion course or simply left
nursing. I am in a similar situation where I have years of experience before starting my family, left for about three years
then returned by working in a nursing home because it was more
flexible with hours. They would probably prefer me to have current experience in a hospital. I've been in the home for the last 12 months working 24 hours per week.

Do you think the STNI would be interested in an enrolled nurse
who is willing to update her training in Australia?
This could be our last hope!
Do you know if they run STNI in Queensland?
Georgie
Old Oct 11th 2003, 11:17 pm

Originally posted by GazzaGeorgie
I realise enrolled nurse training is very dated now and most nurses have iether done the conversion course or simply left
nursing. I am in a similar situation where I have years of experience before starting my family, left for about three years
then returned by working in a nursing home because it was more
flexible with hours. They would probably prefer me to have current experience in a hospital. I've been in the home for the last 12 months working 24 hours per week.

Do you think the STNI would be interested in an enrolled nurse
who is willing to update her training in Australia?
This could be our last hope!
Do you know if they run STNI in Queensland?
Georgie
think your best bet would be to contact the state nursing board for queensland - go to tthe anci site for the link. if that brings you no joy then i'd go with heathers suggestion of contacting a migration agent; most of them do a basic assessment of your suitability to emigrate for free - if they say you wouldnt be able, then they would probably offer you advice for a fee if they thought there was a way round it.
hope i'm not being too nosey, but why is this your last hope? if it the age thing then I suppose you do need to move fast!
have you tried all the agencies who supply to aussie hospitals-maybe one of them can offer you sponsorship to at least get you over there on a temp residency visa and if you can convert over there, then apply for pr?
ahve you contacted all of the places who do the conversion course to see if you can fast-track through in any way? how about distance learning? is it possible you can fast-track through conversion that way?

good luck with it all - it seems a very steep mountain you have to climb !!!
anything I can do to help, just ask

sue
Old Oct 11th 2003, 11:27 pm

just a thought, but have you looked into going over to aus on a student visa? maybe you could do your conversion over there on a student visa? I dont think there is an age limit, but you would have to check on that. there are financial considerations - you have to show you are able to support yourself and any family you take over with you, have a look on the immigration depts website -
http://www.immi.gov.au/students/index.htm
and see if that is an option for you - it sounds a very expensive way of doing your conversion though and i dont know if they do conversion courses over there - you may have to start from scratch.
good luck!

sue
Old Oct 12th 2003, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

think your best bet would be to contact the state nursing board for queensland - go to tthe anci site for the link. if that brings you no joy then i'd go with heathers suggestion of contacting a migration agent; most of them do a basic assessment of your suitability to emigrate for free - if they say you wouldnt be able, then they would probably offer you advice for a fee if they thought there was a way round it.
hope i'm not being too nosey, but why is this your last hope? if it the age thing then I suppose you do need to move fast!
have you tried all the agencies who supply to aussie hospitals-maybe one of them can offer you sponsorship to at least get you over there on a temp residency visa and if you can convert over there, then apply for pr?
ahve you contacted all of the places who do the conversion course to see if you can fast-track through in any way? how about distance learning? is it possible you can fast-track through conversion that way?

good luck with it all - it seems a very steep mountain you have to climb !!!
anything I can do to help, just ask

sue
Thanks Sue for all your suggestions. We've tried everything
that has been suggested so far by everyone except local
agencies. All other agencies will only sponsor RGN level one
nurses. They're not interested in years of experience gained
by enrolled nurses. Sorry, I don't want to get political, but this
is Exasperating !!!

I'm sure we will find a route somehow. Age isn't the big issue.
I'm 38 and my husbands 34. As long as we are under 45 we're
ok?

Time for us to leave it the Agent!
Watch this space.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 7:31 pm

hi there again!
found an advert for an agency in adelaide who appear to recruit enrolled nurses - it is on the nursing careers allied health website, and is for an agency called Medstaff McArthur management services.
www.ncah.com
they send you a weekly update on agencies recruiting nurses and this one is about half way down this weeks list!
medstaff doesnt appear to have a website but there is an address and phone number and an email address - could be worth a try?
let us know how you get on...

Sue
Old Oct 12th 2003, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

I picked this address up on a site a while ago as I have been doing Bank nursing for a while and thought that if I need to go and earn extra cash whilst the business is taking off, I could maybe get in touch with an agency.
Maybe not be any use to you, but worth a try.

Nursing Agency Perth.
Tele (00 61) 9 271 6382 Office hours.

Whisky
Old Oct 12th 2003, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Another good agency you may want to consider is the West Australian Nursing Agency. I think the website is www.wana.com.au

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.