What if we die?

Old May 13th 2009, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Gina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What if we die?

Im so sorry to post such a depressing question but I just wanted to get other peoples opinions and advice on this matter. We (me 26 and Husband 34) have two little girls (9 months and 3 years). We have no family in Australia, and no long term freinds in OZ since we have not been here very long!

We left UK in December and are now in Melbourne.

I just had a thought today, what would happen to my little girls if me and OH died tomorow....
What sort of back up plans do others have in these circumstances? Ie have you changed your will? what would happen to my girls? and what do I need to do to organise things so that if something terrible like this happened they would be ok and looked after??????

We currently have no life insurance either.... Any recommendations????
Old May 13th 2009, 11:18 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What if we die?

Originally Posted by Gina123
Im so sorry to post such a depressing question but I just wanted to get other peoples opinions and advice on this matter. We (me 26 and Husband 34) have two little girls (9 months and 3 years). We have no family in Australia, and no long term freinds in OZ since we have not been here very long!

I just had a thought today, what would happen to my little girls if me and OH died tomorow....
What sort of back up plans do others have in these circumstances? Ie have you changed your will? what would happen to my girls? and what do I need to do to organise things so that if something terrible like this happened they would be ok and looked after??????

You need to get life assurance organised, along with a will.
Old May 13th 2009, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

i thought of that when we arrived 18 years ago,had friends here though.we just did up a letter stating the kids would stay with them until family came over from uk(so they wouldnt end up wards of the state ).did up a free will stating who the kids would go to plus our assets(not much i can tell you).sort out some life insurance for both of you.if you both get insured the premiums are slightly lower than if you get one done then the other.just think what you want the money to be used for eg education,clothing,allowances etc.it is difficult having to think of this but you never know,my dad died when i was 18 years old so as soon as oh and i married i got insurance(prudential)!!! and wrote a will.oh thought i was off my head
Old May 13th 2009, 11:32 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Check your supper for life ins it may have some or be available on it .
Old May 13th 2009, 11:38 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthforme
Check your supper for life ins it may have some or be available on it .

I just checked my supper - I had a chocolate digestive and a cup of milo. But it didn't come with life insurance. Will check again tomorrow night.
Old May 13th 2009, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Gina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this point

aasmith - Thankyou, Its good to know Im not completley nuts worrying about this stuff! Im going to get some life insurance sorted out, plus I have met some lovley friends, one in particular who Im seeing tomorow. Will ask her if she is willing to be a guardian for a period of time in case something happens to us......

perthforme, have checked super and there is some on it, we didnt realise so thanks for that!

Gina
Old May 13th 2009, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
I just checked my supper - I had a chocolate digestive and a cup of milo. But it didn't come with life insurance. Will check again tomorrow night.

We have a current will, one done by lawyers and all...is it still valid once we move?
Old May 13th 2009, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Japonica

We have a current will, one done by lawyers and all...is it still valid once we move?
Get local legal advice on this.

I currently have property in UK, Australia and USA. I found out that my USA will is NOT enforcable in Australia or UK. So I need to draft a will in three countries. I thought 1 will would cover the lot but it won't. You will need to talk to a lawyer in Aus about your situation.
Old May 13th 2009, 9:16 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shorrock

I currently have property in UK, Australia and USA. I found out that my USA will is NOT enforcable in Australia or UK. So I need to draft a will in three countries. I thought 1 will would cover the lot but it won't. You will need to talk to a lawyer in Aus about your situation.
Easier (and cheaper yet) get another one drawn up in Australia anyway!
Old May 13th 2009, 10:15 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Japonica

No. You have to make a will to cover assets in each country.

I recently found out that if you haven't made out a will that all your assets do not necessarily go to your spouse. They can be split 25% to spouse and 75% divided between any children by the courts. As I understand it this can vary depending on the state you are in.

Life insurance / mortgage cover: make sure that both lives are covered. Speaking from family experience it's no good just insuring your husband's life. If you died he would still have to find/pay someone to look after any children before/after school and look after the house etc. This can be very costly if you still have a mortgage to pay off as well.
Old May 14th 2009, 2:04 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shorrock

Who told you that? If it was a lawyer, did such lawyer put advice in writing?

Most jurisdictions do have processes to deal with out-of-jurisdiction wills dealing with assets in that jurisdiction. It may be slower and more complex, but it usually can be done.

So if a lawyer is saying otherwise, is that in writing with appropriate legal references? Or just the result of a quick phone call?
Old May 14th 2009, 3:00 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gina123

Yep, life insurance is recommended and one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance...care_directive and one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_(law)
Old May 14th 2009, 7:53 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by asprilla
Cool lets us know what yerrrr get 2nite . Maybe check your super too
Old May 14th 2009, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

When you do the wills make sure you get power of attorney drawn up for each other as well - this can be vital if one of you is incapacitated, even temporarily.
Old May 14th 2009, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

We have 2 children aged 11 and 13 this year... we made a will when we left Blighty and have made arrangements for the kids to go to my parents as their new guardians.. (they live in Italy)... we have also instructed an excellent family friend to be executor of the will and to ensure that our funds go straight to the kids once they are 21... before that, the executor has been given an amount to be transferred each year which should cover their living costs.. the executor has been given permission to "look" at circumstances should the kids want the money before they are 21...

Personally, the whole thing was a shitty thing to set up.. no one wants to organise this and the whole thing feels really crap, but I think it is so incredibly important to make sure that if both parents die, that someone flies over to take over the kids and make sure that they are alright..

Em x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.