Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What if my cat carries the Calicivirus?

What if my cat carries the Calicivirus?

Old Jan 19th 2008, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

chez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of light
Default What if my cat carries the Calicivirus?

We are planning to take our 3 cats to Australia with us eventually. However one of my cats is a carrier of the Calicivirus.
I know this is something they have to be vaccinated against but for the life of me I can't find anything that actually states that you can't bring a cat in that actually carries the virus already.
Probably completely obvious that you can't and that is so heartbreaking that I can't bring myself to accept it
I have googled endlessly but can't seem to confirm this for sure - thought I'd ask here first before emailing one of the companies that deal with this sort of thing.

Thanks
Old Jan 19th 2008, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

Oceanspirit1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What if my cat carries the Calicivirus?

Hi,
Sorry i can't help you with your question but hopefully someone will come along soon and tell you whether it's possible to take your cat with you.
I really hope it's good news as i can completely understand how you must be feeling. If i couldn't take my cat to oz with us i would be absolutely gutted.
Good luck and hopefully all of you will manage to get there!
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:17 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chez33
We are planning to take our 3 cats to Australia with us eventually. However one of my cats is a carrier of the Calicivirus.
I know this is something they have to be vaccinated against but for the life of me I can't find anything that actually states that you can't bring a cat in that actually carries the virus already.
Probably completely obvious that you can't and that is so heartbreaking that I can't bring myself to accept it
I have googled endlessly but can't seem to confirm this for sure - thought I'd ask here first before emailing one of the companies that deal with this sort of thing.

Thanks
I have not read anything to say that you cannot export a cat with calicivirus, only that cats have to be vaccinated against it.

When you think of how many cats get flu and diseases associated with it as kittens, I wonder how many get tested for calicivirus, probably not many at all.

Or how many cats that are exported even have a blood test, my cat has never had a blood test in his life, we were considering testing him for aids but then saw no point as hes an indoor boy.

I shall do a bit of research and if I find anything out I will let you know, when I next see my friend who is a vet, I shall ask him for you.

Try not to worry too much until you know for sure, if your cat is in good health and is fit for export then that is the main thing. But if I find anything out in the meantime I shall pm you.

Is your cat an indoor cat if he/she is a carrier?
Old Jan 19th 2008, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Check the AQIS site, my vet just did a full blood count on holly and said if shes well enough to have a operation she was well enough to fly, tricky question i admit, i wish you luck with this i really do

Ali
Old Jan 19th 2008, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

chez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I have not read anything to say that you cannot export a cat with calicivirus, only that cats have to be vaccinated against it.

When you think of how many cats get flu and diseases associated with it as kittens, I wonder how many get tested for calicivirus, probably not many at all.

Or how many cats that are exported even have a blood test, my cat has never had a blood test in his life, we were considering testing him for aids but then saw no point as hes an indoor boy.

I shall do a bit of research and if I find anything out I will let you know, when I next see my friend who is a vet, I shall ask him for you.

Try not to worry too much until you know for sure, if your cat is in good health and is fit for export then that is the main thing. But if I find anything out in the meantime I shall pm you.

Is your cat an indoor cat if he/she is a carrier?

Thank you!! How wonderful to have a vet as a friend!!

Yes he's an indoor cat.

Old Jan 19th 2008, 11:34 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!! How wonderful to have a vet as a friend!!

Yes he's an indoor cat.

I started my student vet nurse training under him in 1998, hes a lovely man and I keep in touch with him.

I cant see many if any people getting their cats tested for it so who knows how many get exported with diseases like it.

If he is fit to travel then I cant see a problem but I will see if I can find out for sure.

I think if you make a fuss about it with Aussie quarantine you could raise problems that are not really there.

My export kennels told me Gordons flu vaccine wasnt valid as it didnt show tracheitis on the card, even when I explained it was part of the vaccine, they said as 'lay people' they were not sure.

I had to fax the vaccine data sheet and a note from the vet nurse at Gordons vet to show that it is part of the vaccine which includes calicivirus.

I am taking my Gordon to the vet in the next couple of weeks for a check up for my own piece of mind.

If your cat is in good health then I cannot for the life of me imagine it being a problem.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Alison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you make a fuss about it with Aussie quarantine you could raise problems that are not really there.

I wasn't advising making a fuss with aussie quarantine, merely checking the information on their website

Ali
Old Jan 20th 2008, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

Parsnips is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been injecting rabbits with Calicivirus this week to help control the WA population - They would probably prefer your cat to others!!