Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What if I couldn't sell the house on time?

What if I couldn't sell the house on time?

Old Nov 12th 2002, 8:03 am
Just Joined

uk2oz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What if I couldn't sell the house on time?

Would it be possible for me to ask the estate agent to sell the house? Has anyone done this in the UK (left for Aus before selling the house and asking the estate agent to sell it for you)?

Many thanks,
Mike
Old Nov 12th 2002, 8:51 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

You can do this from abroad but need to use a solicitor / conveyancer too to arrange contract. Effectively you would empower the solicitor to act on your behalf and transfer the proceeds to your account. You could conceivably alternatively give power of attorney to a trusted friend or relation.

Cheers - Don
Old Nov 12th 2002, 10:20 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
You can do this from abroad but need to use a solicitor / conveyancer too to arrange contract. Effectively you would empower the solicitor to act on your behalf and transfer the proceeds to your account. You could conceivably alternatively give power of attorney to a trusted friend or relation.

Cheers - Don
Agree with Don, we have had to leave the sale of the house back in the UK - we have not put the house on the market yet, but we have through our solicitor left specific power of attorney for the sale with my mother in law and sister (both signatures). Cost of arrnaging before we left 40 pounds. We do not plan to sell in the near future (not without our PR) but we are happy with the process. With email and phones we get to arrange anything we would like it is only the final signatures that are required.

Good luck
Old Nov 12th 2002, 10:48 am
Just Joined

uk2oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much for all your helpful comments. I am hoping to follow the power of attorney route if we are not able to sell the house prior to departure.

Cheers,
Mike