Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What if I can't sell my house in the UK?

What if I can't sell my house in the UK?

Old Sep 15th 2007, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Jox_co is on a distinguished road
Question What if I can't sell my house in the UK?

What if I can't sell my house in the UK, should I rent it out?

Anyone been in this position but still gone ahead with plans and rented out?
Old Sep 15th 2007, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of
Default Re: What if I can't sell my house in the UK?

Adam Smith would have probably said....
"If it aint selling...the price is too high!"
...in a Scottish/Kirkcaldy/Fife accent, of course.

We have a figure we 'need' before we are prepared to sell and we are just waiting 'till similar houses in our area sell for above that figure!

Good luck!

Alan and Kim
x
Old Sep 15th 2007, 8:00 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

That all depends... A house is only worth what someone will pay for it.

For me, renting out my house would not be an option.. I wanted to release the capital and have the cash available... renting out for me is a tie to England and would hinder my emigrating progress... so I would reduce the price so the house sold..

BUT... plenty of people prefer to leave an investment in England and find renting out their home as a preferred option.. (not for me tho)..

There are pros/cons with both options.. so I suppose the best thing for you to do is write a list and see what you come up with!

Em x
Old Sep 15th 2007, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Location: South Yorkshire next stop Perth (but open to suggestions)
SarahA will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jox_co

You may or may not want to do it, but(!) a good Solicitor should be willing to work with you moving abroad and thus still allowing you to go even if you haven't got a firm offer on the table, so to speak.

Estate agents will ring you/email you if they have an offer and provided you give all your identification documents and everything needed to proceed with the sale at the start, any solicitors should be willing to send any contracts TR1's etc by airmail to you and you can send them back. Plus email/telephone/fax (you name it) updates when you need them. So even if you had to go before you sold your house, you DON'T have to be in the country to sell your property (though obviously it's easier to do it while you are still here). It's an option GL!
Old Sep 15th 2007, 9:09 pm
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jox_co

We have done that.
Our house has been on the market for 10 weeks now and it has not sold. The market is very slow in the area where we live. I did not want to be held back any longer and leaving it to sell was not an option as who wants to have a mortgage to pay and also rent in Oz. we have found someone who wants to rent our house for 3 years with a possibility of buying it. You have to look at how long you want to wait until you move, do you need equity in the house? would a little extra each month help you out? what do you want long term? Have a plan A a plan B and possibly a plan C.
Good luck I'm sure you will make the right decision.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

tony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nice

we are leaving ours to sell, as its fell thru twice. we have no choice as we have sold cars and given jobs up. we have remortgaged so we can pay bills for 12 months. we have had cash buyers coming in 35 k less. so this is our cheapest option.

HAS IVE SAID MANY TIMES. THE HOUSE SELLING IN UK IS A JOKE
Old Sep 15th 2007, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Thats down and to the right from UK.
znaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to all

I moved out over a month ago having failed to sell the house. I have about a year's worth of bills money in the bank and hope it sells in the that timescale.

I've dropped the price by £60k and now looks as if we may have a buyer.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

Mel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really nice

Friends of our back in the UK are just considering doing the same.

They've had their house on the market for months, had their visa's in hand for months too, so i think they are going remortgage to get out here and rent it out until the market picks up again.

It's not an ideal situation, but the best they can come up with at the moment.

We had our house on the market for over a year before we got out visa's. We sold the house to someone who was going to rent it out, rented it off them until we were ready to go! Bloody perfect!

Hope things work out for you
Melis
Old Sep 16th 2007, 7:27 am
Banned

Aussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud of

No

Oz to far away for a pain in the Arse like that, the emigration process to hard without the added stress of that.

Sell your house or come out for a holiday to see if you would really like it here then sell your house.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Aussie_Pom
No

Oz to far away for a pain in the Arse like that, the emigration process to hard without the added stress of that.

Sell your house or come out for a holiday to see if you would really like it here then sell your house.
we have rented out our 1 bed apartment in essex - looks like the guy is going too buy it so it worked for us.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 8:07 am
Banned

Aussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud of

Glad it has worked out so far you, however house is not sold inthe UK until the contracts are exchanged.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

tony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nice

Glad it has worked out so far you, however house is not sold inthe UK until the contracts are exchanged.
some of us have no choice,we have to leave it to sell. ie no jobs, cars etc
Old Sep 16th 2007, 8:10 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Exchanged on ours Thursday just gone, kind of needed the equity from it but managed to get redundancy from my job which has significantly improved our financial point of view.

For us, keeping the house from such a long distance seemed more hassle than it was worth. Yes, having some investment is fine, but not being able to check on it regularily would have been a major worry (for me anyway). Plus, with all the uncertainty with the house market being the way it is I was glad to get out with 4k over what we wanted anyway.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

Im aware of that thank you. If it doesn't sell too him I will keep renting it till I find a buyer. Someone will come along.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 8:20 am
Banned

Originally Posted by emmyjc1
Im aware of that thank you. If it doesn't sell too him I will keep renting it till I find a buyer. Someone will come along.
For us We had a 1 bed flat and a three bed house, we were not as bothered about selling the flat as the house. We wanted the equity out of the house to buy again in OZ. That said renting the flat, even through rental agencies was a complete pain in the arse, really bad tennants.
Everyone has different circumstances I know but, I think that moving and starting again in a new country is much more difficult than you (i.e one) would think and not having an added complication at that time is worth its weight in gold.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.