Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What I like about Christmas in Australia

What I like about Christmas in Australia

Old Dec 21st 2007, 11:50 pm
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute
Default What I like about Christmas in Australia

There is no media induced mass hysteria which however hard one tries we all get sucked into the feeding frenzy of buying. We went to our local Woolworths last night after work and it was just like a normal evening any time of year. I mentioned to my wife that had we been in a supermarket on 21Dec back in UK it would resemble a riot with stressed families pushing trolleys groaning with a months worth of food for the 2 day break! When we were at the checkout I looked up the aisle to the other end of the store and there was not one person in the entire length of it.
Christmas is celebrated in Australia but in a much more laid back way which after a couple of years here (this will be our 3rd Aussie Xmas) makes you really appreciate the holiday.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 11:53 pm
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of
Default Re: What I like about Christmas in Australia

Originally Posted by Carbery
There is no media induced mass hysteria which however hard one tries we all get sucked into the feeding frenzy of buying. We went to our local Woolworths last night after work and it was just like a normal evening any time of year. I mentioned to my wife that had we been in a supermarket on 21Dec back in UK it would resemble a riot with stressed families pushing trolleys groaning with a months worth of food for the 2 day break! When we were at the checkout I looked up the aisle to the other end of the store and there was not one person in the entire length of it.
Christmas is celebrated in Australia but in a much more laid back way which after a couple of years here (this will be our 3rd Aussie Xmas) makes you really appreciate the holiday.
Yes
Old Dec 21st 2007, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

We've noticed that too. Much less stressful and enjoyable.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 12:03 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

I agree - fantastic to go to the shops and although here it was the busiest I had ever seen yesterday it was still nothing like back home - still plenty of free (in both ways) parking spaces in the car park. The kids have been too busy playing outside to watch TV and ask for everything advertised - no requests for a Wii or PS3 they asked for riding lessons and roller skates instead.

Despite missing the cold christmas feel I wouldn't swap at all - it makes much more sense to have all those public holidays in weather you can enjoy and make the most of.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

aussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud of

21Dec back in UK it would resemble a riot with stressed families pushing trolleys groaning with a months worth of food for the 2 day break!

You made me laugh, could hear my dad saying the exact same, always wondering why people need so much stuff when they'll be shopping at TESCO EXTRA on boxing day and the shops are only shut two days. My dad at times can be a real Victor Meldrew type.

Jane
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 12:37 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree - Christmas here is about celebrating the day - not knackering yourself running round the shops weeks before.
I went late night shopping last night and it wasn't too busy, no big ques or people barging into each other.
I don't buy half the crap I used to. Thought about buying a big box of roses but then thought when would we eat them? We'll be out most days next week on the boat or jetski - can't see us with a box of chocolates on the beach in 38 degrees
As for people who say there's no Christmas spirit in Oz - I beg to differ. There's loads of Christmasy things going on - we're going to a carol service tomorrow at Sandalfords winery. We'll be sat on the grass with a glass of wine listening to the carols
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

Originally Posted by nightnurse2
we're going to a carol service tomorrow at Sandalfords winery. We'll be sat on the grass with a glass of wine listening to the carols
We went to Sandalfords Winery when on our hols to WA. We loved it there esp the room with the oak barrels. Wouldn't might going myself but a bit of a way for us. Have a great time.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

As much as I miss the festivities of an English Xmas (even after 7 years) I have to agree that what you mention is a definite bonus.

I went shopping last night for a few last minute pressies and expected it to be absolutely heaving and there was hardly anyone there. It would have taken me an hour just to park the car if I was in UK!

Even the Xmas food shop was painless (mind you picking up the seafood on xmas eve is always fun!)
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 2:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
As much as I miss the festivities of an English Xmas (even after 7 years) I have to agree that what you mention is a definite bonus.

I went shopping last night for a few last minute pressies and expected it to be absolutely heaving and there was hardly anyone there. It would have taken me an hour just to park the car if I was in UK!

Even the Xmas food shop was painless (mind you picking up the seafood on xmas eve is always fun!)
Bit of a queue (8 people) in a chain's flagship store in Melbourne CBD.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 3:05 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

It's true, its remarkably laid back. People are so good natured too, the shops are ticking over, its possible to find a (free) parking space, there's a good range of produce on the shelves......we managed to get a Wii ..... there was even a Santa in Bunnings today giving out treats to the kids.

I put it down to the weather: too hot to get bothered about anything.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't agree more. I went out today to buy a couple of bits for a friend's birthday expecting it to be murder in Melbourne, but didn't have to queue in any of the shops I was in. Result! I would be completely avoiding such a shopping trip in England!
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 4:56 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I know what you are saying. Although the shops were abit mad today, couldn't even find any stuffing
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 4:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I know what you are saying. Although the shops were abit mad today, couldn't even find any stuffing

I bought some Paxo the other day My christmas pressie to myself (yup, I'm gonna eat it ALL )
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 5:04 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wendy
I bought some Paxo the other day My christmas pressie to myself (yup, I'm gonna eat it ALL )
You like a good stuffing Wendy
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
You like a good stuffing Wendy

Yeah, the Ozzie one are shite - it always gets stuck in my throat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.