Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WHAT? HOW MUCH? Are flights truly so expensive from Australia???

WHAT? HOW MUCH? Are flights truly so expensive from Australia???

Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of
Default WHAT? HOW MUCH? Are flights truly so expensive from Australia???

So we were looking at comparative flights.

We cannot find a flight for 2 adults and 3 kids from Brisbane/Sydney to London (return) for less than AUD11000.00 (yes you read right, ELEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS)? GPB 4500.00

Is it me, am I looking in the wrong place.

Please tell me I am.

Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:46 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHAT? HOW MUCH? Are flights truly so expensive from Australia???

Originally Posted by dejags

We cannot find a flight for 2 adults and 3 kids from Brisbane/Sydney to London (return) for less than AUD11000.00 (yes you read right, ELEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS)? GPB 4500.00

Please tell me I am.

Sounds about right - when was the last time you flew?

- Consider time of year you are flying
- The affect of oil on the cost of aviation fuel
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of

Please tell me I am.

God, that is expensive !!

Have you tried contacting an agent to compare prices ?

Hope you find a cheaper price soon !!

Donna.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Sounds about right - when was the last time you flew?

- Consider time of year you are flying
- The affect of oil on the cost of aviation fuel
I just can't get over the cost.

We flew around the world last year (9 countries - 125 000 miles) and it cost less than that.

Anybody got any good/cheap recommendations for holidays nearer to Australia then?
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

I just can't get over the cost.

We flew around the world last year (9 countries - 125 000 miles) and it cost less than that.

Anybody got any good/cheap recommendations for holidays nearer to Australia then?
Must just be me ....

We'll never leave Australia after we get there. Can't imagine ever being able to afford flying to the UK with the family to see Grandma and Grandad.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:15 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Please tell me I am.

Flying from Aus, yep sounds about right for 5 people. Usually costs me about $2000-$2300 for a ticket home
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Try being creative on the route - it may not be comfortable but you will save a lot of money.

E.g. I just did a quick search on the cost of flying to Frankfurt in March from Sydney on OPODO.DE and you can get a flight for €1,100 with Etihad (around $1,700). You could then look at getting a cheap flight from Frankfurt to London e.g. Ryanair.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:48 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Consider it cheap if it's only $11k for a family of 5. We're looking at going to visit family in Canada next year and it's over $20k for our family of 4 to fly Perth to Toronto.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:56 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Please tell me I am.

In the process of booking a trip back to the UK in June now, the cheapest we can get (for a one-stop flight) for 2 adults and 1 child is $6,200 (including taxes) and that is flying with Singapore (our preferred airline).

This was through MTA Travel.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:57 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Consider it cheap if it's only $11k for a family of 5. We're looking at going to visit family in Canada next year and it's over $20k for our family of 4 to fly Perth to Toronto.
Wow... who were you thinking of booking it through?

We always use these guys and it's about $2000 per person.

http://www.downunder-travel.com/

We've just been doing round trips, about a year between trips. So we already used the first half of it to get here and then will use the second half to return.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:58 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Normally costs us about 12 grand with either SIA or Cathay Pacific. 2 adults 3 kids.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

Please tell me I am.

This has got to be one of the most depressing things about living in Australia, the cost to get out of it! Excuse me please, I'm in a depressing mood.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi we have booked tickets to go home next year. Yeah expensive but were told by various places it depends on when you travel. May-August the most expensive time as this is when Aussie's leave to travel to Europe for the 'summer' .

Donna
Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:11 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgowlass
This has got to be one of the most depressing things about living in Australia, the cost to get out of it! Excuse me please, I'm in a depressing mood.
If you can and plan to go back every year you can buy a return ticket from the UK to Aus and after a year return to the UK for your holiday, then buy another return ticket. It works out much cheaper.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 12:43 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
Wow... who were you thinking of booking it through?

We always use these guys and it's about $2000 per person.

http://www.downunder-travel.com/

We've just been doing round trips, about a year between trips. So we already used the first half of it to get here and then will use the second half to return.
Thing is that from Perth we have to get to your side first. The cheapest I could find was $3800 return going via Dubai, Frankfurt, Toronto. We did look at that agency when we were still in ON, however it still works out to be almost as expensive when you add the zones in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.