Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What house did you buy?

Wikiposts

What house did you buy?

Old Feb 25th 2008, 5:45 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What house did you buy?

[QUOTE=steve`o;5983878][QUOTE=Timber Floor Au;5983683]

So yer you only really aquire and equitable bonus.. when you do indeed downsize to a bloody tent, or buy a shite old campervan,

LMAO Like it !!! Never heard this before !
Old Feb 25th 2008, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Probably. But in the case of project builds, the newer the house, the less well constructed it will be, the shorter it will last before needing repair/demolition.
Is this true. Most Australian homes even newer ones must surely last say 50-100 years? Is there a requirement?

My view is that our home may be 25 years old but it ain't going anywhere in my lifetime or interest in it and I can afford the odd couple of thousand here or there but not 250k+ in one go. And therefore the land is more important.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
But it is on a quarter acre and enabled us to buy in St Ives and live a very nice home life with teenagers and a pool, spa, pool table and party areas.

We have spent five years making improvements but only with us in mind not resale

Houses in Aus are a lot of fun with so much choice there is something for everyone.

I loved reading this thread it is very interesting all the choices and differences we have.
Completely agree. Like your style!
Old Feb 25th 2008, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spartacus
Sustainable forestry means timber section sizes are getting increasingly smaller (decreasingly bigger?), and the methods of jointing more sophisticated, meaning we'll eventually build hosues from match sticks.
I hear the framing (radiator pine) is going from 90mmx45 to 70mmx45/35. I'm going to build my shed using 90mm.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all

we bought a 4 bed, 2 bathroom plus rumpus 1975 brick three story home ( well sort of, its on a steep hill so have three levels)

it was in the original 70's state and we have done it up over the last 2 years.

It was truly hideous but husband convinced me to buy as it has amazing views and was pretty much the worst house in the street !!
Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:07 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by natty
we bought a 4 bed, 2 bathroom plus rumpus 1975 brick three story home ( well sort of, its on a steep hill so have three levels)

it was in the original 70's state and we have done it up over the last 2 years.

It was truly hideous but husband convinced me to buy as it has amazing views and was pretty much the worst house in the street !!

taking your time and getting it right really pays in the end

well i truly bloody hope so i`ve been at it for over 12 months now
Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:16 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Erm, I have no idea Haven't found any, so I guess so

I didn't think ours was that big, but my OH measured around it on google earth (yes, I think he was bored that day ) and we could fit the house we had in the UK 7 times into our yard I'm not sure if you just forget how small the houses are in the UK.

Our intention is to do this up, and then in about 4 years time sell and buy something smaller. That's when my son will have finished school and moved out - he and his mates are apparantly all going to get a house together (that'll be fun! )

Yeh right Wendy i like your optimism - they just keep moving in here - we had to extend to accommodate eldest sons mate and then my dad when mum died.
Good luck then xxxxx
Old Feb 26th 2008, 7:27 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Is this true. Most Australian homes even newer ones must surely last say 50-100 years? Is there a requirement?

My view is that our home may be 25 years old but it ain't going anywhere in my lifetime or interest in it and I can afford the odd couple of thousand here or there but not 250k+ in one go. And therefore the land is more important.
You just have to look at these houses while they are being built to know they won't last half the time your house will Badge.

Some of the timber frames are so poorly assembled, with extra off-cuts to fix up bits they've bodges, frames hanging over the edges of slabs, cracked slabs, windows that don't fit, crooked brickwork that bulges in places. I see these things commonly on project houses being built, in fact I would say I haven't seen one "under construction" project house that doesn't have one of these.

I am in regular contact with a chap who owns a company that inspects project homes at client's expense prior to sign-off. He says on average they find 80 defects with each house that need repair before moving on to the next stage. He's shown me photos - I kid you not, places where builders have chopped sections out of supporting struts to run mains water pipes, places where the bricks are not tied to the frame etc etc.

I honestly don't believe that these project homes will be standing in 25 years without major renovation.

Buzzy
Old Feb 26th 2008, 7:45 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

I think the point a lot of people miss... especially in QLD building across the summer period, is the wetness of the framing timber !

I think TRADA recommend 8% moisture content MAX

I did readings on 9 places in the house, all internal readings...

max was 23%

The next day, the gyproc fellas were here to install ceilings and walls...

OH NO YOU DONT !

so they held off for 4 weeks !!!!!!!!!!!! Until reading was below 8%

At which point the carpenters had to return, and plane down bowing joists and jack studs !!

So be very very very aware.. and dont be scared to bully the builder !! Most of what is said, is 10% know how 90% bull shit )

Ste
Old Feb 26th 2008, 10:35 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
You just have to look at these houses while they are being built to know they won't last half the time your house will Badge.

Some of the timber frames are so poorly assembled, with extra off-cuts to fix up bits they've bodges, frames hanging over the edges of slabs, cracked slabs, windows that don't fit, crooked brickwork that bulges in places. I see these things commonly on project houses being built, in fact I would say I haven't seen one "under construction" project house that doesn't have one of these.

I am in regular contact with a chap who owns a company that inspects project homes at client's expense prior to sign-off. He says on average they find 80 defects with each house that need repair before moving on to the next stage. He's shown me photos - I kid you not, places where builders have chopped sections out of supporting struts to run mains water pipes, places where the bricks are not tied to the frame etc etc.

I honestly don't believe that these project homes will be standing in 25 years without major renovation.

Buzzy

I believe that what you say Buzzy. Our house is a well built BV 4X2 before we bought we had the full structural done and the results were very encouraging. I think my house is about 25 years old.

When my father came to visit (he is ultra critical of everything) he was rather impressed by it. His one complaint was the truly crap standard of joinery that seems to abound in Australia and the fact that our windows seem about a millimetre thick.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 11:38 am
Banned

I would agree regarding 2nd fix joinery !

Ste
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Pisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant future

we bought a 4x2 on the upper north shore in Sydney. It is on an estate of about 40 houses with swimming pool and tennis courts and club house. It is about 15 years old. It was not what we were looking for, but stumbled upon it and it was in our price range. We live at the end of a cul de sac so it is very quiete and my girls can cycle, skateboard etc.
It has been great for us as we have met a lot of people that we would not have met if we had bought a stand alone house. We moved in in December and went to the Christmas party and then a Christmas eve street party. I have met a lot of mom's at the swimming pool and my daughters best mate at school lives just across the road. So it has turned out really well considering we bought after only being in Sydney for a week
Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

warponydestroyer will become famous soon enoughwarponydestroyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
I think the point a lot of people miss... especially in QLD building across the summer period, is the wetness of the framing timber !

I think TRADA recommend 8% moisture content MAX

I did readings on 9 places in the house, all internal readings...

max was 23%

The next day, the gyproc fellas were here to install ceilings and walls...

OH NO YOU DONT !

so they held off for 4 weeks !!!!!!!!!!!! Until reading was below 8%

At which point the carpenters had to return, and plane down bowing joists and jack studs !!

So be very very very aware.. and dont be scared to bully the builder !! Most of what is said, is 10% know how 90% bull shit )

Ste
Impressive - however most folks would not have a clue about that kind of thing - you would expect a half decent builder to know it though.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

brissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nice

been reading this hoping some of you's might put up a pic or 2 so i can have a nosey.....seriously we have held off buying at the min as we,

a: need to save a good deposit up

b:the interest rates

c: hope that if everyone has the same idea , sellers might drop their prices to sell them.

but ideally i would like a queenslander and hubby just wants a house as he's sick of renting this house with dark blue everywhere.

kels x
Old Feb 26th 2008, 9:46 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
we have bought nothing and probably never will here as we cant afford it, which is one of the reasons we are looking into plan B, back to the uk

You serious about going back to the UK Mags?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.