Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What the hell is going on in NZ??

What the hell is going on in NZ??

Old Dec 18th 2003, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Jamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really nice

Hi Rich

It might be too late to save your own case, but if you can please forward me a PM that details all of NZIS's comments and specifically why they thought your case would not fly, I'll take it up with the policy people.

You are after all talented and could train some kiwis through things like classes, even if you didn't employ.

You might not meet all of the quantifiable measures, but you do meet the general objectives, and there is nothing in policy to say they could not approve you as an exception to policy based on unusual talent if they chose to, especially as your wife can most probably find work.

Perhaps you can help others by letting me take your personal comments from NZIS forward. In much the same as you're doing here in public forum, I'd like to try the private ones. Perhaps we can instill some greater objectivity when they assess subsequent cases.

It would also help if you emailed your case officer and advised them that I could talk to them about your business proposal- I don't need or want to go into your personal stuff.

Regards

Originally posted by theguitardoctor
Hi Kev,
Unfortunately, I was told several weeks ago that the NZIS are no longer interested in one man businesses regardless of whether they feed a demand..they told me that the businesses they were looking for were those that employ NZers within 3 years. Mine was a self sufficient business, making a reasonable profit, but it wasn't big enough to employ anyone but me in reality. The NZIS all but told me that I would not be approved then (this was over the course of about 4 visits with an immigration officer). Thus I withdrew my application a couple of weeks ago, though I have not had the refund as yet. Having lost a fortune getting here and all the shit we've been through with the loss of a job offer (wife) when the Gen Skills cat was removed suddenly...we've decided to cut our losses of $30K and return to the UK in the New Year. I don't know what else I could have doen as I tried to gain assistance form a number of sources and they all came to nothing...I just got the feeling that the NZIS were getting aggravated with me.

What line is your business in? Param is a nice area (much nicer then Wellington), although it is a run from the city, especially in traffic. If you can survive up there, I take my hat off to you...

I'd be interested to know how you got yours done quicker...
you have my email...
all the best, Rich.