Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What havent you seen in Oz you may have expected to see?

What havent you seen in Oz you may have expected to see?

Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:32 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default What havent you seen in Oz you may have expected to see?

I think for me it would be, the trails in the sky left by Planes...

Ive not to this day seen a trail from an aeroplane, guess it must be upper atmosphere temperature or someat.

Steve
Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:35 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What havent you seen in Oz you may have expected to see?

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au

Ive not to this day seen a trail from an aeroplane, guess it must be upper atmosphere temperature or someat.

Steve

I guess it depends where you live....we get them over us all the time....have even seen them at night when the full moon was out...that was pretty cool!!

Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:35 am
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

Steve
A kangaroo called Skippy who would inform me of any danger!!!
ViVi
Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:37 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Shoes
Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:39 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Steve
A day in paradise.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:44 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Steve
I havent looked at my flight training books but basically a vapour trail is effectively a cloud.
A jet's exhaust produces about 1 pint of water for each gallon of fuel and this water is expelled into the atmosphere.

To make a cloud, the expelled water must fall into a temperature lower than the dew point. Thedew point is the temperature to which the water condenses and cloud forms.

I believe that the reason you dont see too many vapour trails in oz (especially in oz) is that the dew point would be quite low and since average temperature decreases 2 degrees celsius per 1000ft, most aircraft would be flying below the dewpoint and therefore no vapour trails would form.

Theres lots more to it than that but thats the basics. If you want more I can dig out my met books
Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:47 am
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
I havent looked at my flight training books but basically a vapour trail is effectively a cloud.
A jet's exhaust produces about 1 pint of water for each gallon of fuel and this water is expelled into the atmosphere.

To make a cloud, the expelled water must fall into a temperature lower than the dew point. Thedew point is the temperature to which the water condenses and cloud forms.

I believe that the reason you dont see too many vapour trails in oz (especially in oz) is that the dew point would be quite low and since average temperature decreases 2 degrees celsius per 1000ft, most aircraft would be flying below the dewpoint and therefore no vapour trails would form.

Theres lots more to it than that but thats the basics. If you want more I can dig out my met books
Did you get all that from the back of your cornflakes packet!??!!
ViVi
Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:49 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Kangaroos and Koalas in my backgarden (or at all!)
Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:52 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Sensible traffic rules.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:53 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vivi
Did you get all that from the back of your cornflakes packet!??!!
ViVi
lmao, nope, comes from one of my flight training books. that particular one is "from the ground up" certain it would be on da net somewhere.
Would be nice if corn flakes could teach me to fly since the training Ive had cost me $42000cdn
Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:56 am
vivi

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Kangaroos and Koalas in my backgarden (or at all!)
I really knew I lived here 3 weeks ago. In Jan in Somerset, I was wrapped up in 4 layers watching my daughter play football, the sleet was coming down and I remember saying I will not miss this. 3 weeks ago I am wearing shorts and vest top watching daughter play Newcombe, sun beating down, and a Koala and its baby up a tree in the school grounds. Had a couple of kangaroos in next doors garden, and plenty about on the side of the road. ( no not road kill!!) All I can say is that this is a brilliant and beautiful country, and no guide book can ever compare to reality!!!
ViVi
Old Oct 27th 2005, 9:33 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

I was so dissapointed not to see a Wombat in the wild, didnt realise they dont live in WA

They live in Tassie though
Old Oct 27th 2005, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

BazzaMatthews is a jewel in the roughBazzaMatthews is a jewel in the roughBazzaMatthews is a jewel in the roughBazzaMatthews is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by possoms
I was so dissapointed not to see a Wombat in the wild, didnt realise they dont live in WA

They live in Tassie though
I was camping down at Wilsons Prom' - we were lying around with a candle in the middle of us (not allowed campfires there) chatting and drinking (as you do) and a wombat started eating me bootlaces!! The fella then proceded to wreck a newspaper I was trying to read and when he got bored with that game he decided to eat it. Cool experience that!
Old Oct 27th 2005, 10:08 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BazzaMatthews
I was camping down at Wilsons Prom' - we were lying around with a candle in the middle of us (not allowed campfires there) chatting and drinking (as you do) and a wombat started eating me bootlaces!! The fella then proceded to wreck a newspaper I was trying to read and when he got bored with that game he decided to eat it. Cool experience that!
Oh wow, I've always loved em since I saw that one on A Country Practice years ago

I got to hold one at Perth Zoo, and saw a rescued baby one in Tas but I've still not seen one in the wild.... yet!!

p.s Sorry wheres Wilsons Prom?
Old Oct 27th 2005, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Unycorne is on a distinguished road

So who else has missed Kerbs - you know the things attached to pavements........

Come on girls when was the last time you drove your husbands car and they said to you "watch those alloys" it just simply does not happen here - so what if you bounce off a roundabout of hit a corner a bit tight - they will never know cause there are no kerbs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.