Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what has been the most stressful?

what has been the most stressful?

Old Aug 31st 2004, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

stinky pete is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what has been the most stressful?

hello everyone,

if you had to say what has been the one most stressful thing/experience since starting this whole migration process, what has it been, if you don't mind a stressed sod asking?

banished to upstairs (kind of), the better half having a bad day, what with the prospect of leaving great family and friends behind. we have good days and shite days, mostly good, today crap. Got in from work, partner feeling bad, it's the leaving people behind factor, people you depend upon for a laugh, a drink on a friday night, support during all the significant times and being there for them as well.

what if you never have those kind of mates again, it's what we talk about, when really contemplating it?

would just like some honest replies, maybe a bit of reassurance if i'm completely honest. better half usually a really positive person, just having a bad day hopefully.

P
Old Aug 31st 2004, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: what has been the most stressful?

I'm sorry you have had a bad day. Me and hubby are pretty stressed too at the mo - we are in the process of selling our house (the buyers have some quarms re the survey) so this is causing stress. I would have to say for us this is the most stressfull part of the migration process. We had an agent to get our visa - so i guess he stressed for us lol.

It is natural to have some doubts about leaving, we are also worried about leaving our frinds and family behind. But for me it is worth a go, I would always wonder what might have been.

I hope you both have a better day tommorrow

From Kate
Old Aug 31st 2004, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

Without a doubt the most stressful thing for us has been getting the evidence ready for the visa application. Thinking do we need this certified? Is this enough? Where's the paperwork for this that or the other? When will friends and family get round to doing their statements? Not wanting to but having to nag for things from other people.
I keep saying I just want to get it sent now. Then it'll be out of our hands.

I'm actually dying to get back to work tomorrow just to get my head off the damn visa app.
Old Aug 31st 2004, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by KatieStar
I'm sorry you have had a bad day. Me and hubby are pretty stressed too at the mo - we are in the process of selling our house (the buyers have some quarms re the survey) so this is causing stress. I would have to say for us this is the most stressfull part of the migration process. We had an agent to get our visa - so i guess he stressed for us lol.

It is natural to have some doubts about leaving, we are also worried about leaving our frinds and family behind. But for me it is worth a go, I would always wonder what might have been.

I hope you both have a better day tommorrow

From Kate
Kate,

thanks for the reply, we have yet to put the house on the market, looking forward to it like a hole in the head.

I agree, that will be a stressful time, we love our house, everything important in our lives has happened whilst in this house. and like you say, it's the hidden extras in the survey isn't it, you think it's perfect, and some arse in a suit comes along and says otherwise. or your buyer decides something ain't quite right.

and i agree entirely with what you say, why spend years regretting what could have been. if it's wrong, you come back! just a really expensive holiday.

good luck with the survey, hope it comes off well.

P
Old Aug 31st 2004, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ushas
Without a doubt the most stressful thing for us has been getting the evidence ready for the visa application. Thinking do we need this certified? Is this enough? Where's the paperwork for this that or the other? When will friends and family get round to doing their statements? Not wanting to but having to nag for things from other people.
I keep saying I just want to get it sent now. Then it'll be out of our hands.

I'm actually dying to get back to work tomorrow just to get my head off the damn visa app.
can i just ask, why do friends and family have to do statements? what's that for? and like you, remember actually looking forward to going to work for exactly the same reasons!
P
Old Aug 31st 2004, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

As one who is about to go ( ), i can say that, with hindsight, the most stressful thing, by far, is the goodbyes to family members.

The friends thing is not a problem to either of us as we seem to be lucky, in the fact, that we can make friends wherever we go. That isn't to say that we have never had best friends ( outside of each other ), but practically, and i'm afraid thats what we are, we are each others best friends, so we have what we need.

i am yet to report on 'the other side' and i guess it could throw up some stresses maybe, but i doubt it.

goodbyes = yuk!!!!

Last edited by steandleigh; Aug 31st 2004 at 9:00 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2004, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by steandleigh
As one who is about to go ( ), i can say that, with hindsight, the most stressful thing, by far, is the goodbyes to family members.

The friends thing is not a problem to either of us as we seem to be lucky, in the fact, that we can make friends whever we go. That isn't to say that we have never had best friends, but practically, and i'm afraid thats what we re, we are eah others best friends, so we have what we need.

i am yet to report on 'the other side' and i guess it could throw up some stresses maybe, but i doubt it.

goodbyes = yuk!!!!
nice to speak to you, have read many of your threads mate, wishing you well with the next 2 sleeps, if you sleep at all! can't imagine your excitement! hope it all goes like a dream steandleigh!

think that we will manage to make good friends again, and l agree, you always have each other.

like and admire the positivity!

P
Old Aug 31st 2004, 9:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stinky pete
can i just ask, why do friends and family have to do statements? what's that for?
P
Spouse/de facto visas need supporting statements to prove that they are in a genuine onoing relationship.
Old Aug 31st 2004, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Spouse/de facto visas need supporting statements to prove that they are in a genuine onoing relationship.
cheers pollyanna,

old speckled hen - lovelee jublee!

P
Old Aug 31st 2004, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

The most stressful thing was telling family and friends that we were intending to emigrate - especially my husband's parents. Unfortunately, it's not something you can just slip into the conversation and hope it'll be taken in lightly. My own family was easier because many of us had lived abroad for work before. Anyway, our fear was founded because they were a combination of angry and sad and said some things which were quite hurtful. We just let them say what they wanted to say and saw it as part of the whole process.

After that, the visa application itself was just a matter of much paperwork and patience - we could see from the points test that it should, in theory, be OK. Although, there's always an element of doubt when it's no longer in your hands.

So yes, saying goodbye to family and friends is not to be underestimated - and they're not just a commodity you can exchange upon arrival in Oz. It takes a while and we've only just embarked on that trip - having just arrived - but we trust it will work out too.

Good luck - as you said - some days you will feel good during the application and some days - less good!
Old Aug 31st 2004, 9:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stinky pete

old speckled hen - lovelee jublee!

P
Now on sale in a Brisbane bottle shop!!!
Old Aug 31st 2004, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by chocaholic
So yes, saying goodbye to family and friends is not to be underestimated - and they're not just a commodity you can exchange upon arrival in Oz.
sound advice, much appreciated also.

honestly hope, that all goes well for you and much happiness sent your way.

we can't exchange our friends, we just have to hope we make, new, honest, like a piss up and a laugh, easy going mates, when we get there.

do you think we are being overly ambitious?

P
Old Aug 31st 2004, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

No, of course you're not being too ambitious. You just have to realize that it's probably going to take time before you find people you "click" with and then a lot of effort too. It sounds like the obvious, but it's not going to happen if you're sitting in front of the TV every evening but when you first arrive everything's new, totally new, plus new job. So you'll be exhausted and then you have to spend time making friends.......

But, even then, stay positive - it's going to work out !!
Old Aug 31st 2004, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Now on sale in a Brisbane bottle shop!!!
Pollyanna, oh! glorious fine ale leader,

in your fantastic bottle shop, have you seen an ale called 'summerhill stout'?

it's 4.4%, it has a dark roast malt flavor, with a hint of chocolate, any, absolutely any info. would be sooooooooooo appreciated! it's a geordie brew from big lamp breweries!

like you, real ale applies, with much appreciation and avid interest, i will try anything once!

P.
Old Aug 31st 2004, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by chocaholic
No, of course you're not being too ambitious. You just have to realize that it's probably going to take time before you find people you "click" with and then a lot of effort too. It sounds like the obvious, but it's not going to happen if you're sitting in front of the TV every evening but when you first arrive everything's new, totally new, plus new job. So you'll be exhausted and then you have to spend time making friends.......

But, even then, stay positive - it's going to work out !!
chocaholic, you're a star!

thanks in abundance, better half read your post, after much persuasion, feels better, mind we have had about two bottles of red, but what the hell, drastic measures!

incidentally, we hate TV, except, Location, Location, Location!, place in the sun, and of course, national institution, the trotters!

P

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.