Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Happens to your Uk Pensions fund when you leave

What Happens to your Uk Pensions fund when you leave

Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

jonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to all
Default What Happens to your Uk Pensions fund when you leave

We are looking to leave the uk hopefully later this year. I am 36 and have been paying into the uk government pension scheme for the last 22 years. I also have my own personal pension scheme which I know I can transfer to an oz pension.

However my concern is what happens to the 22 years of contribution in the state pension. I noticed that the International Social Security Agreements Australia end in 2001 so dose this mean these funds can not be transferred and more importantly are they lost

Many thanks

Jon
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:40 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: What Happens to your Uk Pensions fund when you leave

Originally Posted by jonjon
We are looking to leave the uk hopefully later this year. I am 36 and have been paying into the uk government pension scheme for the last 22 years. I also have my own personal pension scheme which I know I can transfer to an oz pension.

However my concern is what happens to the 22 years of contribution in the state pension. I noticed that the International Social Security Agreements Australia end in 2001 so dose this mean these funds can not be transferred and more importantly are they lost

Many thanks

Jon
It isn't lost, you will get the going rate when you become eligible, but it will be frozen at that rate whilst you live in Australia. Unless of course the rules change by then

Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

jonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to all
Default Re: What Happens to your Uk Pensions fund when you leave

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It isn't lost, you will get the going rate when you become eligible, but it will be frozen at that rate whilst you live in Australia. Unless of course the rules change by then
many thanks for the clarification