Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what happens when we get there?

what happens when we get there?

Old Feb 5th 2004, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default what happens when we get there?

We are going to Oz on 16th to validate our visas.
I've read various thread mentioning stamps etc.?

Could someone just talk me through exactly what to do on arrival in Melbourne at 06:55 local time after our non-stop flight from LHR as I don't think I'll be at sharpest!

Is there a queue specifically for people validating visas?
Do they have to be stamped?
Do you do all this before getting your luggage?

etc. etc. etc.

Thanks.

Andy.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 2:42 pm
WBB

Default Re: what happens when we get there?

Originally posted by cadman

Could someone just talk me through exactly what to do on arrival in Melbourne at 06:55 local time after our non-stop flight from LHR as I don't think I'll be at sharpest!

etc. etc. etc.

Thanks.

Andy.
you just get in the normal queue with everyone else.

no fanfare or red carpet i'm afraid.

Old Feb 5th 2004, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Cath is an unknown quantity at this point

Cadman,

Hope all goes well on the 16th. We too are validating on that date, although we are heading for Sydney.

Good luck
Old Feb 5th 2004, 5:09 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

1. No.

2. No. Only your passport needs to be stamped.

3. You get your luggage after clearing passport control.

Peter
Old Feb 5th 2004, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

etc. etc. etc.

Thanks.

Andy.
you can also browse the duty free shop on arrival......before joining the city-bound rush hour traffic down the Tullamarine freeway.....

Have a great trip! Where are you headed once you get out the airport?
Old Feb 5th 2004, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
you can also browse the duty free shop on arrival......before joining the city-bound rush hour traffic down the Tullamarine freeway.....

Have a great trip! Where are you headed once you get out the airport?
Fortunately, we are staying with my cousin who lives in Sunbury so no drive into the city, at least not on arrival.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Cath
Cadman,

Hope all goes well on the 16th. We too are validating on that date, although we are heading for Sydney.

Good luck
Thanks Cath, same to you too!
Old Feb 5th 2004, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by ptlabs
1. No.

2. No. Only your passport needs to be stamped.

3. You get your luggage after clearing passport control.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I can relax a bit more now!
Old Feb 5th 2004, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just one more thing,

What happens during the fuel stop in Singapore?

i.e. do your bags stay on the plane or do you have to collect them and then check them back in again?
(there is approx. 2 hours between arrive SP and leave for MB if that makes any difference)

also, (yes, I know, that's 2 things!), while I remember, what's this on-line check in up to 48 hrs before departure?
how does that work? is it worth doing?

thirdly, ( ), we are arriving at LHR 7 hours before departure, can we check the bags in then or do we have to wait until the gate opens or something?

thanks!

not used to this flying malarky, ain't natural, if God had wanted us to fly etc. etc.

Andy.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 11:58 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel your stress from over here. relax. Singapore airlines look after your baggage all the way. You are in the best hands possible. I have used British Airways on line checkin and it lets you choose your own seat (if it is available). The q was also small where you dump your bags and get the boarding pass. You have to book your flights direct with BA to use the on line check in facility.

No idea about singapore airlines.

Singapore airport is brilliant and has some good duty free shops although I found myself drinking tiger beer at the bar.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Cheers bondi

just wanna make sure it all goes smoothly, head of household and all that.

we booked our flights direct with SIA so it should be cool. It was mentioned in the on-line booking blurb that we could do it (on line check in) just didn't explain what it was all about.
If we can choose our seats that'll be cool.

I too have heard that Singapore airport is good, we're only there for a couple of hours though unlike the 7 hours at Heathrow T3!

Originally posted by bondipom
I feel your stress from over here. relax. Singapore airlines look after your baggage all the way. You are in the best hands possible. I have used British Airways on line checkin and it lets you choose your own seat (if it is available). The q was also small where you dump your bags and get the boarding pass. You have to book your flights direct with BA to use the on line check in facility.

No idea about singapore airlines.

Singapore airport is brilliant and has some good duty free shops although I found myself drinking tiger beer at the bar.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Cadman,

we flew with Singapore and they were great. We should have had 50 minutes in Singapore but as we were late leaving Manchester we had to make up time and we saw Singapore Airport from the back of a golf cart thingy as we were driven at high speed from one plane to another.

Claire