Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What happens when the shippers come for stuff?

Wikiposts

What happens when the shippers come for stuff?

Old Sep 3rd 2003, 12:50 am
Kia
Just Joined

Kia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What happens when the shippers come for stuff?

Pickfords are coming to pack our stuff up on Monday 8th September, and I was wondering what they expect. Are the people packing usually happy for you to be hanging around making sure they only pack exactly what you require?

I appreciate it is probably best that the house is not in chaos when they arrive, but does it matter if everything is not completly ready for them.

On a scale of 1-10 how stressful is the whole procedure?

Does anyone know how much it would be to fumigate a cane chair in New Zealand. We really want to take it but if it is expensive we will not bother? Advice please.

Feeling slightly nervous that we are not going to be ready when they arrive!

HELP, I AM NOW BEGINING TO PANIC!!
:scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 1:43 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

I would like this information also but from previous posts I think it important you have lots of bright stickers on items saying DONT PACK THIS (like the shoes you want to wear etc.)

I shall have a few saying (B list only if we have room)
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

From doing this last time I would suggest pack all your suitcases you're taking with you up as much as possible before they get there.

Put everything that's not to be packed by the movers, including the suitcases, in one corner of your bedroom and one corner of the kitchen if you can manage it. Along with the mattresses you're keeping to sleep on until the last morning. Use some cardboard boxes without lids (closed boxes risk being packed!) to keep cooking stuff or whatever together if you need to. Then you can make it clear that they're not to touch those large piles of stuff but everything else is to go!

You'll end up living out of your cases and your 'corners' until you go as if you're camping but it's easier than retrieving bits and pieces while they're packing and being under their feet all the time. Then you can just answer questions and supervise discreetly. One of us always stayed in the house to be available when needed.

Plus make lots of cups of tea...each team of movers we've had has always checked out the location of the kettle asap on arrival