Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What happens to UK driving licence points?

What happens to UK driving licence points?

Old May 9th 2005, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

hopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant future
Default What happens to UK driving licence points?

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I couldn't find the answer when I searched.

I noticed on the NSW RTA website that I can just swap my UK driving licence for a NSW one. If I have points on my UK driving licence what happens to these? Do they transfer over to the Australian one?

Thanks
Sarah
Old May 9th 2005, 10:46 pm

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: What happens to UK driving licence points?

Originally Posted by hopalong
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I couldn't find the answer when I searched.

I noticed on the NSW RTA website that I can just swap my UK driving licence for a NSW one. If I have points on my UK driving licence what happens to these? Do they transfer over to the Australian one?

Thanks
Sarah
I don't believe they can be carried over or taken in to account. All you need is a valid licence, and to sit a driver knowledge test - actually I think they stopped them at the beginning of this year, have a look here RTA.
When we went to get ours, they were a bit clueless on the UK licence but we got there in the end. Points didn't transfer for us, but they do invalidate your UK licence by punching a hole in it.
Old May 9th 2005, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

leedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
I don't believe they can be carried over or taken in to account. All you need is a valid licence, and to sit a driver knowledge test - actually I think they stopped them at the beginning of this year, have a look here RTA.
When we went to get ours, they were a bit clueless on the UK licence but we got there in the end. Points didn't transfer for us, but they do invalidate your UK licence by punching a hole in it.
why do they do that? Its like cutting your UK pasport in half when you get an OZ one
Old May 10th 2005, 12:02 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by leedslad
why do they do that? Its like cutting your UK pasport in half when you get an OZ one
It's done so that the NSW police can tell that you have an Australian Driving licence, in case you try to show your UK one to avoid getting points if you get caught doing something wrong.
It doesn't invalidate your UK licence in the UK though.
You can also get a new one from the UK, as long as you have a UK address you can use.

I think that in South Australia, they can take the licence from you.

But here in QLD they don't do anything to it.

Old May 10th 2005, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It's done so that the NSW police can tell that you have an Australian Driving licence, in case you try to show your UK one to avoid getting points if you get caught doing something wrong.
It doesn't invalidate your UK licence in the UK though.
You can also get a new one from the UK, as long as you have a UK address you can use.

I think that in South Australia, they can take the licence from you.

But here in QLD they don't do anything to it.
Yeah I used the wrong wording by saying they invalidate it - they just make it unuseable! As you say, you can always apply for another one in the UK. They forgot to to punch mine and I wasn't about to tell them. I've considered whether I could use it for traffic offences but that could end in a heap of trouble.
Old May 10th 2005, 12:54 am
ABCDiamond

Yeah I used the wrong wording by saying they invalidate it - they just make it unuseable! As you say, you can always apply for another one in the UK. They forgot to to punch mine and I wasn't about to tell them. I've considered whether I could use it for traffic offences but that could end in a heap of trouble.
Invalidate was the correct word, but just for Australia, or at least NSW

Old May 10th 2005, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

SydneyStace will become famous soon enoughSydneyStace will become famous soon enough

We ordered a "replacement" UK drivers license before leaving the UK as they hole punch your one when you swap it over to Aus one.
That way you can have both!

Originally Posted by leedslad
Old May 10th 2005, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by SydneyStace
We ordered a "replacement" UK drivers license before leaving the UK as they hole punch your one when you swap it over to Aus one.
Top Tip! That should be in one of those 'Things to do befoe you go' lists if it isn't already.
Old May 10th 2005, 7:16 am
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by SydneyStace
I thought you had to send your old license in before you get a new one.
But of course I could be wrong
Old May 10th 2005, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by pompeywill
I thought you had to send your old license in before you get a new one.
But of course I could be wrong
Ah, but what if you 'lost' it? In effect when it gets defaced over here, it might as well be lost. They'd (the DVLA) obviously cancel your old one, but that's alright cos you only need it to get the Oz one then you could bin it.
I still reckon it's a good idea, if slightly irregular in the eyes of the agencies involved and you understand that.
Old May 10th 2005, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Rockville is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know what you have to do convert your license from UK to NSW. It is my understanding that you need to sit a written test is this right?
Old May 10th 2005, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

hopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant future

Ah, but what if you 'lost' it? In effect when it gets defaced over here, it might as well be lost. They'd (the DVLA) obviously cancel your old one, but that's alright cos you only need it to get the Oz one then you could bin it.
I still reckon it's a good idea, if slightly irregular in the eyes of the agencies involved and you understand that.
Good suggestion about the replacement licence......I wonder if you get better Uk hire car rates with it for return trips to UK?

Sorry to be tedious.......but dragging you back to the points......... (I might e-mail the RTA website to confirm, but of course, don't want to alert them to it either!)...............

Are we all agreed that UK points do not get transferred over to NSW licence? I guess that one concern is that they only started "swapping" licences in January this year and up to that point I believe you had to pass your NSW theory test, so you essentially earned your new licence. I was worried that the new swapping of licences also meant exchanging points.
So if anyone has swapped a UK licence with points on it for a NSW one post Jan2005, could they let me know what happened please?
Many thanks
Sarah
Old May 10th 2005, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by hopalong
...they only started "swapping" licences in January this year and up to that point I believe you had to pass your NSW theory test, so you essentially earned your new licence. I was worried that the new swapping of licences also meant exchanging points.
So if anyone has swapped a UK licence with points on it for a NSW one post Jan2005, could they let me know what happened please?
Many thanks
Sarah
If it helps, when we sat our thoery test (and passed!) all that was left to do was fill out the paperwork and show them our UK licences to prove that we held a valid one.

Jules and I were dealt with by different people, stood beside each other at the counter. The girl who done Jules' spent a lot longer looking at her licence, and was questioning with her supervisor the meaning of the different vehicle symbols on the back of the photo id bit.

I think they thought she was licenced to drive hgvs and motorbikes! In all the time they spent examingin the licence they never once questioned the points on it. With a bit of explanation by us both they accepted that the licence was just for cars and then punched a hole in it.
The guy doing mine, gave it the once over and then issued me with an nsw one, no probs and no punching!

So it's not really a case of 'swapping', just show and tell
Old May 10th 2005, 11:36 pm
ABCDiamond

I think they thought she was licenced to drive hgvs and motorbikes!
That does happen. I have heard of some people who have actually walked out with an Australian HGV licence, due to this confusion

Old May 11th 2005, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Rockville is on a distinguished road

Hi Jules and Chris,
Is it just the photo card part you need to show or the paper part as well, with all th epoints info on?
Many thanks Gill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.