Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what happens to pr visa if runs out b4 you've spent 2 years in oz?

what happens to pr visa if runs out b4 you've spent 2 years in oz?

Old Oct 24th 2005, 7:03 pm
Account Closed

fishface is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what happens to pr visa if runs out b4 you've spent 2 years in oz?

hi we left oz after 8 months to return to uk and my visa expires march 09. does anyone know if we went back b4 expiry date, but not allowing enough time for 2 years as resident what would happen to my visa?
In addition would the 8 months we were already there count, or does it need to be 2 years straight through.. ? forever hopeful of a return- fishface
Old Oct 24th 2005, 7:19 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: what happens to pr visa if runs out b4 you've spent 2 years in oz?

As long as your in Australia before it expires your ok. If you take citizenship it doesn't have to be two years straight although with the change in law possibly coming soon you may need to be here for 3 years before you can apply.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 7:23 pm
Account Closed

fishface is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bordy
As long as your in Australia before it expires your ok. If you take citizenship it doesn't have to be two years straight although with the change in law possibly coming soon you may need to be here for 3 years before you can apply.
thanks for that, thats a great help, that australian visa website dima or whatever it is is sooo tedious, i need caffine to search through it, thanks for saving me a job!
Old Oct 24th 2005, 7:51 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fishface
hi we left oz after 8 months to return to uk and my visa expires march 09. does anyone know if we went back b4 expiry date, but not allowing enough time for 2 years as resident what would happen to my visa?
In addition would the 8 months we were already there count, or does it need to be 2 years straight through.. ? forever hopeful of a return- fishface
If you return before the expiry date then nothing will happen. You can remain resident in Australia still after that date. Just make sure you get back here before then otherwise you cant get back in!

The expiry date is not actually that per se, its the date by which you must have entered permenantly - see it that way.

Once you are in Australia you will need to (by then) clock up 3 years residence to obtain citizinship. Any time spent up till then will count for you.

However, should you wish to leave Australia after your residency visa has expired then you would need to apply for a RRV (Residence Return Visa) to be able to come back into the country, showing your strong ties to Australia and the like, although apparently they can take a dim view of why you have not settled within the five years since granting...

Hope that helps.