Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What happens to my email after leaving UK?

What happens to my email after leaving UK?

Old Jun 28th 2002, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute
Default What happens to my email after leaving UK?

My post is being redirected by Royal Mail, but what happens with email? I have an ntlworld.com email address. My phones/TV/internet package is being cut off the day we leave. What happens to any messages being sent to me? I won't be able to access the ntlworld webmail service if all my accounts have been closed, so any messages for me will get lost I suppose. If I set up a hotmail address, can I get at my ntlworld.com messages? Please help!
Old Jun 28th 2002, 11:43 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What happens to my email after leaving UK?

Hello Jacqui.

If you maintain your old email address (and you may want to so that you don't have to tell all your friends, etc of your new address) you should be able to access your ntl email either via a new ISP when you get to Australia, or via a web-based email service such as can be found at:

http://www.mail2web.com
(try it before you go to see whether it works)

Info on ISP's in Australia is here in case it's of any help:

http://www.gomatilda.com/personal_issues/telecoms.cfm

Hope this helps and that you are well.
Old Jun 28th 2002, 12:44 pm
Squeaking Member

Anon E Mouse is on a distinguished road

It really depends on whether the ISP removes or deactivates the account - if you're not paying them for the service anymore then you can't expect your address to continue to work. (Our work email addresses are deactivated the day we leave...)

Some systems let you put an "auto-reply" or "auto-forward" on the server which can help. The autoreply could say something like "I've moved, reach me at [email protected]" except that of course, you've just given you new addr to those nice people that send you tons of spam....

Forwarding is a bit like mail forwarding by the post office. I'd try to set up a forward to your hotmail account then just send replies to those you want to inform about your move.

Talk to your ISP. But the moment the ISP deletes the account, bye bye address. Mind you it's a good time to rid yourself of all the spammers....
Old Jun 28th 2002, 4:20 pm
Rob

Jacqui wrote:

>My post is being redirected by Royal Mail, but what happens with email?

<snip>

I suspect you're just gonna have to get a new address and tell all your contacts that
your old ntl address is getting shut down.

This is why I recommend people buy a domain name of their own and then use it as
their permanent address. That way you can rediect from your own domain to any ISP you
happen to choose at a later date... any ISP, anywhere in the world!. If you don't
like your ISP, you have no ties to them and can switch to someone better when it
suits you.

People who use their ISP's email addresses make it difficult for themselves to change
ISPs at a later date. I've been with the same ISP for 6 years and never use their
addresses.

==

To get your own domain (e.g. myname.com), pop along to a provider of domain names
(e.g. www.easyspace.com - who I use) and search for an unused domain. Easyspace (and
others too, no doubt) then let you forward your email through your new domain name
and on to your ISP address where you can collect it as usual.

And remember !!!!, NEVER EVER post your new email address in a newsgroup or online
forum. Once you do, it'll be easy pickings for spammers. If you don't post it, they
can't spam it.

Old Jun 28th 2002, 4:28 pm
ndaltonb

Jacqui

As soon as you cancel your ntl account (phone/TV/Internet) your ntlworld account will cease to exist.

Suggest you

1. open a hotmail/yahoo.... account and put something like the following in your autosignature
"Hi, I'm moving in espace and my new e-mail address is [email protected]. Please update your address list asap"

2. Ask ntl if they have a foprwarding serice for say 3-6 months after you close your account. If you don't ask, they may not tell.

hope this helps

Nigel db

Old Jun 28th 2002, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Hi guys..

Sorry Jacqui for butting in on your thread, but that's a good point! I'm with AOL at the moment...I know it probably sounds thick, but if I install AOL on my new PC, will my email address still be waiting for me???

thanks, and sorry jacqui!!

love sophia xx
Old Jun 28th 2002, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Bones is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi sophia,

This is one option,

If you cannot use AOL as an ISP in oz (and I don't think they have coverage down-under), then keep your AOL account activated, sign up with a local ISP and access AOL (www.aol.com.uk) go to member login and enter your username and password. You can then retrieve your mail and inform everyone of your new e-mail address.

Then you can close your account with AOL once everyone is informed.

Pete

p.s. was this the question you wanted answered or have I missed the point? If so - sorry !!
Old Jun 29th 2002, 9:20 am
Ralph J .

On 28 Jun 2002 14:20:27 GMT, Jacqui <[email protected]> wrote:

>My post is being redirected by Royal Mail, but what happens with email? I have an
    >ntlworld.com email address. My phones/TV/internet package is being cut off the day
    >we leave. What happens to any messages being sent to me?

Once you close your UK internet account you will lose any future emails sent to your
ntlworld.com address.

I suggest that a few weeks before you leave UK connect to http://www.optusnet.com.au/
and open a basic Internet account. The particular page to open an account is:
https://rego.optusnet.com.au/register/optus-signup.cgi

Their cheapest plan is the "NetRollover 5 (formerly NetSaver)" plan at AUD $9.95 per
Month which would be adequate. While you reside in the UK you won't be able to send
from the Optus account but you will certainly be able to receive any emails addressed
to <[email protected]>.

You could advise all your contacts of your new email address and have them email you
at that address but you would have to reply from your UK account until you arrive in
Australia. (That's not hard to configure with most email clients)

Once you land in Australia you will be able to select an ISP who is more to your
liking if Optus isn't it.
--
Ralph Jennings

Old Jun 29th 2002, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Norm is an unknown quantity at this point

You can also register with one of the mail forwarding sevices like Bigfoot.com (your address will be some thing like [email protected]) and give people this address. Then any time you change address you just change this on the Bigfoot site and all mail is forwarded on to your new email address. This is particularly useful if you change ISPs often.

Of course, as was already posted, mail services like Hotmail, Easymail, Yahoo etc can be accessed from any computer and any ISP and the address stays constant.

Norm.
Old Jun 29th 2002, 12:20 pm
Tobyabe

Hi

I used to work for tech support in ntlworld and yes they will forward your e-mail for
a ceertain amount of time

--
K.Yeates

[email protected] "Jacqui" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > My post is being redirected by Royal Mail, but what happens with email? I have an
    > ntlworld.com email address. My phones/TV/internet package is being cut off the day
    > we leave. What happens to any messages being sent to me? I won't be able to access
    > the ntlworld webmail service if all my accounts have been closed, so any messages
    > for me will get lost I suppose. If I set up a hotmail address, can I get at my
    > ntlworld.com messages? Please help!
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > izzy knight
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 29th 2002, 12:20 pm
Andy Lawson

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002 15:53:04 GMT, rob <[email protected]> wrote:

>This is why I recommend people buy a domain name of their own and then use it as
    >their permanent address. That way you can rediect from your own domain to any ISP
    >you happen to choose at a later date... any ISP, anywhere in the world!. If you
    >don't like your ISP, you have no ties to them and can switch to someone better when
    >it suits you.

Bigfoot offer a free redirection service. My bigfoot account redirects to my
private ISP account, at the moment, but I can easily redirect it to any other
account I choose.

The redirection service is free, but they charge (I think US$20 pa) a year for more
sophisticated stuff, like spam filtering, filtering on content, etc.

Check them out at www.bigfoot.com

There are probably other companies out there doing this - I'm not involved with
bigfoot except as a customer....

Of course - you still have to let everyone know you're changing your email address.
But only once.
--
Andy Lawson (mailto:[email protected]) "That young girl is one of the least
benightedly unintelligent organic life forms it has been my profound lack of pleasure
not to be able to avoid meeting." - Marvin the Paranoid Android

Old Jun 29th 2002, 12:30 pm
ndaltonb

Sophia,

Short answer is YES.

When you install AOL it will ask at the end if you are a new account or have an existing account. Click existing and make sure you remember login name and password.

Nigel db

Originally posted by sophia
if I install AOL on my new PC, will my email address still be waiting for me???

love sophia xx

Old Jun 30th 2002, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Cheers for the replies everyone. I'm going to take my AOL CD-rom with me and if all else fails, I've set up a hotmail account...guess I will just have to make sure everyone has both addresses!!

love sophia x
Old Jun 30th 2002, 6:20 pm
rob

sophia wrote:

>Cheers for the replies everyone. I'm going to take my AOL CD-rom with me and if all
    >else fails, I've set up a hotmail account...guess I will just have to make sure
    >everyone has both addresses!!

I'd bet your AOL cd has a hardwired UK phone number on it.

In which case, it's not going to work in Oz.

Old Jul 4th 2002, 1:20 am
Rohan Jackson

Sophia,

If you want just get an Oz AOL account (can get a freed cd sent in the mail)
www.aol.com.au They can sort out your uk email account. And the answer is yes you can
receive any email through any ISP doesn't matter where in the world you are, all you
need is the server names and your username and password. The only problem arises when
they cancel your uk account. Try www.mailstart.com you can look at your email while
it is on your server.

Have fun, good luck

<rob [email protected]>> wrote in message
news:1025457378.9640.0.nnrp-13.c2de4...ws.demon.co.uk...
    > sophia wrote:
    >
    > >Cheers for the replies everyone. I'm going to take my AOL CD-rom with me and if
    > >all else fails, I've set up a hotmail account...guess I will just have to make
    > >sure everyone has both addresses!!
    >
    > I'd bet your AOL cd has a hardwired UK phone number on it.
    >
    > In which case, it's not going to work in Oz.