Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What happens at immigration at the airport?

What happens at immigration at the airport?

Old Jan 8th 2004, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

JandKS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What happens at immigration at the airport?

We are going on our validation trip at the end of the month, and hubby is panicking about what happens when we arrive at Brisbane. Do we have to go in a special channel for visa holders? What will we get asked? How does our visa get "validated"?

I think he is worried we are going to get hauled off into a side room for a 15 hour grilling by a big Aussie wearing rubber gloves..... :scared:

thank you
KS
Old Jan 8th 2004, 5:32 pm
WBB

Default Re: What happens at immigration at the airport?

Originally posted by JandKS
We are going on our validation trip at the end of the month, and hubby is panicking about what happens when we arrive at Brisbane. Do we have to go in a special channel for visa holders? What will we get asked? How does our visa get "validated"?

I think he is worried we are going to get hauled off into a side room for a 15 hour grilling by a big Aussie wearing rubber gloves..... :scared:

thank you
KS
just roll up to the desk and they will do the rest, i'm sure it is straight forward enough and they deal with hundreds of these type of things everyday.

to validate you just have to enter australia before the date given to you by dimia, you could leave on the next plane if you wanted to.

good luck.

Old Jan 8th 2004, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

sashadan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by welshboybilly
just roll up to the desk and they will do the rest, i'm sure it is straight forward enough and they deal with hundreds of these type of things everyday.

to validate you just have to enter australia before the date given to you by dimia, you could leave on the next plane if you wanted to.

good luck.

no marigolds involved ,i trust.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 5:43 pm
WBB

Originally posted by sashadan
no marigolds involved ,i trust.

only if you ask nicely

Old Jan 8th 2004, 5:50 pm
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

the queues at immigration are pretty long just to warn you at any airport in australia.

Just think that one day you could have an australian passport and take a different channel.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 5:52 pm
WBB

Originally posted by rapitts
the queues at immigration are pretty long just to warn you at any airport in australia.

Just think that one day you could have an australian passport and take a different channel.

just like the queue to leave the UK

Old Jan 8th 2004, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

shedu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default An Australian passport........

Originally posted by rapitts

Now I like the sound of that - does anyone have any knowledge of the citizenship process????
Old Jan 8th 2004, 6:16 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

when we validated in melb we just went up to the desk (no queues at all) and got 'em stamped....job done...bit of an anti-climax really...not that i was expecting anything more....mind you a bit of red carpet and a few people with a huge banner saying 'welcome to OZ...we're SO glad you came'...would have been nice....
Old Jan 8th 2004, 6:37 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

They had a red carpet from the plane ready for me. Around the check in desk there was a brass band playing in my honour and beer wenches were on hand to quench my thirst.

DIMIA officials were in hand to carry my luggage to the limousine waiting.

OK maybe not. It is just like arriving as a tourist. You will be lucky to get a word out of the buggers.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 6:40 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

The chap who stamped ours was very nice......and extremely tolerant of 2 of my 3 kids who decided after their eternal flight they had new lease of life and decided to do a bit of circuit training round all the barriers that everyone queues round...
Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Not so much immigration but CUSTOMS.
If you have any food whatsoever, declare it (I mean even a block of cheese) We got done at Perth airport last month. We were read the riot act and told that we were lucky that we were not going to jail. We are now listed to be checked whenever we come in.

The p@ss off about it is that this process took an extra half hour of waiting and listening to all the bullshite. We were lectured and just had to stand there and take it or would have probably been hauled off if we said one word. Felt like punching the smug buggers out.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:15 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by suebo
Not so much immigration but CUSTOMS.
If you have any food whatsoever, declare it (I mean even a block of cheese) We got done at Perth airport last month. We were read the riot act and told that we were lucky that we were not going to jail. We are now listed to be checked whenever we come in.

The p@ss off about it is that this process took an extra half hour of waiting and listening to all the bullshite. We were lectured and just had to stand there and take it or would have probably been hauled off if we said one word. Felt like punching the smug buggers out.
Did you forget you had some cheese or did you miss the in flight movie, the question on the customs declaration form and the numerous signs saying declare or bin?

We declare everything thing edible on the way in. That includes chocolate. It does say all food stuffs. If it is processed they probably will let you through. I find something to declare quicker than the green lane.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

snowhite is an unknown quantity at this point

When we went last year for a holiday we were good and even delcared my daughters special medical milk which was our last bottle and unopened .I expected them just to look and say okay but it was taken off us !!!
We were also suprised to see sniffer dogs not for drugs but checking for food stuffs.
Then compared to all that in the xmas box I sent to family was chocolate,sweets ,alchol ??!!
Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

No I didn't miss the inflight movie, smarty pants Just forgot that I had something (well that is what I told them anyway).
If I had not declared what I did, then I probably would have got through without a problem

Last edited by suebo; Jan 8th 2004 at 9:00 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by bondipom
We declare everything thing edible on the way in. That includes chocolate. It does say all food stuffs.
Crikey - I'd better check I haven't dropped any crumbs down my front on the way in.

Customs terrifies me at the best of times!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.