Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What happens to all our $0.01...??? and Coinstar

What happens to all our $0.01...??? and Coinstar

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really nice
Default Re: What happens to all our $0.01...??? and Coinstar

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Because $9.99 still looks cheaper than $10. It's called Psychological Pricing.
I heard at home (UK) that the 9.99 type prices were so that the shop assistant was obliged to register your 10 quid in the till and give you change. If you just gave her 10 quid and walked away, he/she might put it straight into his/her pocket
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:49 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Eastend Girl
I heard at home (UK) that the 9.99 type prices were so that the shop assistant was obliged to register your 10 quid in the till and give you change. If you just gave her 10 quid and walked away, he/she might put it straight into his/her pocket
I've heard that too and it's plausible.

However now that $9.99 = $10 cash, I think it's more to do with psychological pricing. Either that or Aussie shop assistants are more trust worthy than their UK counterparts
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really nice

However now that $9.99 = $10 cash, I think it's more to do with psychological pricing. Either that or Aussie shop assistants are more trust worthy than their UK counterparts

A bit of both maybe
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:47 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: What happens to all our $0.01...??? and Coinstar

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
OK so everything in the UK is priced at 99p, £1.99, £9.99 etc, etc…but when I buy something for £9.99 I expected to be charged £9.99 and get 1p change. (tight git I am).

How come shops here can price things at $9.99 then charge me $10 at the till?
Copper coins (1c & 2c) were removed from our currency in 1991. Prices are now rounded up or down to the nearest 5c.

Despite this, vendors still follow the standard psychological trick of pricing their goods at $*.99, secure in the knowledge that many people will feel they are getting a bargain.

Exceptions to this rule are found in a number of commodities (such as petrol), which derive their price from the international market, and are always calcuated to the lowest currency denomination.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 8:43 am
KLF
What Time is Love

KLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Copper coins (1c & 2c) were removed from our currency in 1991. Prices are now rounded up or down to the nearest 5c.

Despite this, vendors still follow the standard psychological trick of pricing their goods at $*.99, secure in the knowledge that many people will feel they are getting a bargain.

Exceptions to this rule are found in a number of commodities (such as petrol), which derive their price from the international market, and are always calcuated to the lowest currency denomination.
We've done all of this, read the thread FFS! I know you have
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 8:50 am
KLF
What Time is Love

KLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to behold

Yes, you think...

'Beauty, I'm getting a right (cash sale) bargain here'.

"That's $10 please". (I've added the please even though you never get one )

"Oh, you mean $9.99 don't you?"

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

smee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
OOOHHH - Where...?
I know some of the ANZ branches have them.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:28 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KLF
Yes, you think...

'Beauty, I'm getting a right (cash sale) bargain here'.

"That's $10 please". (I've added the please even though you never get one )

"Oh, you mean $9.99 don't you?"

Touched a nerve there then
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:35 am
KLF
What Time is Love

Touched a nerve there then