Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What happens to all our $0.01...??? and Coinstar

What happens to all our $0.01...??? and Coinstar

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default What happens to all our $0.01...??? and Coinstar

OK so everything in the UK is priced at 99p, £1.99, £9.99 etc, etc…but when I buy something for £9.99 I expected to be charged £9.99 and get 1p change. (tight git I am).

How come shops here can price things at $9.99 then charge me $10 at the till?

Oh and also while I’m on the subject of small change….I think I’ve spotted a great franchise opportunity for somebody….’Coinstar’ machines in supermarkets. Not found one anywhere and I’ve got bags of coins I would happily pay 7% commission on to get it changed simply by pouring it into a machine. Anyone fancy going in to partnership?
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:42 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What happens to all our $0.01...??? and Coinstar

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
OK so everything in the UK is priced at 99p, £1.99, £9.99 etc, etc…but when I buy something for £9.99 I expected to be charged £9.99 and get 1p change. (tight git I am).

Oh and also while I’m on the subject of small change….I think I’ve spotted a great franchise opportunity for somebody….’Coinstar’ machines in supermarkets. Not found one anywhere and I’ve got bags of coins I would happily pay 7% commission on to get it changed simply by pouring it into a machine. Anyone fancy going in to partnership?
they round things up or down weird isn't it mind you in Italy they gave us sweets

maybe Ozzies like their change
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:43 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

The 'spare' cents are collected Australia-wide by all retailers and used to fund the annual one day 'charm school' course for a solitary lucky checkout jockey.

Last year's winner is working in Coles, Woodridge by the way.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
The 'spare' cents are collected Australia-wide by all retailers and used to fund the annual one day 'charm school' course for a solitary lucky checkout jockey.

Last year's winner is working in Coles, Woodridge by the way.
PMSL!!!

I reckon it just about evens out over time, rounding up vs rounding down. One solution is to pay on plastic - I'm told that then they have to charge the actual price, as the only reason for "rounding" is that 1& 2 cent pieces are no longer in use.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a way to beat a coinstar machine...
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really nice

I can understand in the Supermarkets items being priced 1.97 etc and rounded up or down when the bill is totalled but I dont know why in shops where you buy single items they dont just put on a $10 price tag if they're not gonna give you the 1c change.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
There is a way to beat a coinstar machine...
Yeah - but first you need to FIND a Coinstar to beat...are there any in Oz..?
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:29 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Eastend Girl
I can understand in the Supermarkets items being priced 1.97 etc and rounded up or down when the bill is totalled but I dont know why in shops where you buy single items they dont just put on a $10 price tag if they're not gonna give you the 1c change.
Because $9.99 still looks cheaper than $10. It's called Psychological Pricing.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:39 am
Account Closed

It's worth noting that rounding only occurs with cash transactions and not with electronic transactions.

The government basicaly got rid of the 1c and 2c coins because they were becoming too expensive to produce and provide very little value.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MartinLuther

The government basicaly got rid of the 1c and 2c coins because they were becoming too expensive to produce and provide very little value.

Except if we can find a Coinstar to cash 'em in at..!
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

it is simple maths - if you buy 5 things for .99cents then you will pay $4.95 so no-one is stealing your cents!! If you buy one thing in a shop, well then .01c isn't much of a penalty for someone serving you for one thing is it?
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 3:19 am
Account Closed

Except if we can find a Coinstar to cash 'em in at..!
Allegedly you can change them at a bank as they are still legal tender.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

smee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to all

Some of the banks have coin counting machines you just pour your money into, it counts it then gives you a receipt you take to the teller and she issues you with notes.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 3:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Teabag
it is simple maths - if you buy 5 things for .99cents then you will pay $4.95 so no-one is stealing your cents!! If you buy one thing in a shop, well then .01c isn't much of a penalty for someone serving you for one thing is it?
Even better buy 3 and you get a 2c discount.

If you were really tight you could pay by EFTPOS when the total rounds up and pay by cash when the total rounds down.

And if you pay cash for petrol you can always get 2c of free petrol (i.e. putting in $20.02 instead of $20). Although you have to be really good with maths if you want to use the 4c off vouchers.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by smee
Some of the banks have coin counting machines you just pour your money into, it counts it then gives you a receipt you take to the teller and she issues you with notes.

OOOHHH - Where...?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.