Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what is happening ? exchange rate !!!!!!!!!!!1

what is happening ? exchange rate !!!!!!!!!!!1

Old Oct 6th 2008, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all
Default what is happening ? exchange rate !!!!!!!!!!!1

Came in from school run and £ to $ gone mad !

Last edited by Reading fan; Oct 6th 2008 at 2:46 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 3:15 pm

MTPockets is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what is happening ? exchange rate !!!!!!!!!!!1

Originally Posted by Reading fan
Came in from school run and £ to $ gone mad !
Global stock markets are tanking. People don't belive (rightly in my opinion) that the bail-out and current plans to restore confidence will work as planned. Money is being moved to 'safer' economies. The era of the 'carry trade' where people borrow money at low rates (japan) and invest it in high yielding currencies (higher interest rates - aussie) is over and being reversed. The Oz economy is considered a fair indicator of global growth (largely a resource based economy - iron ore/metals etc which are in big demand when economies are being boosted) and that outlook is not looking good. If e.g. US and europe slow down, they'll be buying a lot less from e.g. china, who in turn won't need to buy as much from a raw material exporter such as Australia even for pure domestic investment....
Old Oct 6th 2008, 3:52 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Well I was just about to move some cash into my aussie account - shall I wait? Will it get better or worse?
Old Oct 6th 2008, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Candy Groove is a jewel in the roughCandy Groove is a jewel in the roughCandy Groove is a jewel in the roughCandy Groove is a jewel in the roughCandy Groove is a jewel in the rough

who knows Ponyrama? I'm thinking the same thing too

I've decided to bite the bullet and change it tomorrow. We've done well out of it and I'd rather just get it sorted and not worry about it anymore.

I'll have to try and resist the temptation of checking the rate after that though
Old Oct 6th 2008, 5:22 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Candy Groove
who knows Ponyrama? I'm thinking the same thing too

I've decided to bite the bullet and change it tomorrow. We've done well out of it and I'd rather just get it sorted and not worry about it anymore.

I'll have to try and resist the temptation of checking the rate after that though

I'm the same - dont know when I'm on a good thing! I'll move mine tomorrow too. Will get about an extra 1000 dollars on what I would have got last week. So musnt grumble.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Chris N Lora will become famous soon enoughChris N Lora will become famous soon enough

Fingers crossed it will go up even more!! yesterday it was going to cost us £930,00 for our visa application today it is £858.00 fingers cross the dollar will fall more and go to something like $3 to the £ lol
Old Oct 6th 2008, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

OZERJON is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, we are planning to move early next year. We have sold our house here in the uk and have been in rented accommodation for the last 8 months.
have seen the exchange rate steadily climb up and then shoot up over last 24 yrs i,m thinking it's time to get a currency broker involved. Could anyone recommend a good broker. I have money from house sell scattered about various banks in the uk and i'm concerned i may miss the boat.

many thanks
john
Old Oct 6th 2008, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Angib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant future

I like ozforez for exchange rates and can set up online easily too !!!
Old Oct 7th 2008, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

maroonedNZ is just really nicemaroonedNZ is just really nicemaroonedNZ is just really nicemaroonedNZ is just really nicemaroonedNZ is just really nicemaroonedNZ is just really nicemaroonedNZ is just really nicemaroonedNZ is just really nicemaroonedNZ is just really nicemaroonedNZ is just really nicemaroonedNZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Well I was just about to move some cash into my aussie account - shall I wait? Will it get better or worse?
I think go now mate - reserve bank just cut interest rates by twice what was anticipated so it's more than likely to rally alot before the end of the week.

I lost out BIG time bringing kiwi $ over 2 days before the Aussie $ crashed - GUTTED!
Old Oct 7th 2008, 9:43 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maroonedNZ
I think go now mate - reserve bank just cut interest rates by twice what was anticipated so it's more than likely to rally alot before the end of the week.
Fantastic news that !! I thought they were only going to cut the rate by .5% and that the banks were not going to pass anything on.
Instead I come home to find a 1% cut and that all of the major banks are going to pass on a .8% cut in mortgage rates.

WOW ! That's $160 less a month interest on our 230k outstanding balance.
Well received news indeed :-)

Last edited by DownUnderPaddy; Oct 7th 2008 at 9:46 am.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 9:43 am
beach bum

Originally Posted by maroonedNZ

I lost out BIG time bringing kiwi $ over 2 days before the Aussie $ crashed - GUTTED!
I moved it this morning - got 2.39 from high street bank against reuters of 2.42.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 9:49 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
Fantastic news that !! I thought they were only going to cut the rate by .5% and that the banks were not going to pass anything on.
Instead I come home to find a 1% cut and that all of the major banks are going to pass on a .8% cut in mortgage rates.

WOW ! That's $160 less a month interest on our 230k outstanding balance.
Well received news indeed :-)
But not so good for those investing in Aussie Dollars (sigh)
Old Oct 7th 2008, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

TheDaddy will become famous soon enough

I think that the Aussies have done it on purpose to entice us all over during our economical meltdown hahaha
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:22 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MTPockets
Global stock markets are tanking. People don't belive (rightly in my opinion) that the bail-out and current plans to restore confidence will work as planned. Money is being moved to 'safer' economies. The era of the 'carry trade' where people borrow money at low rates (japan) and invest it in high yielding currencies (higher interest rates - aussie) is over and being reversed. The Oz economy is considered a fair indicator of global growth (largely a resource based economy - iron ore/metals etc which are in big demand when economies are being boosted) and that outlook is not looking good. If e.g. US and europe slow down, they'll be buying a lot less from e.g. china, who in turn won't need to buy as much from a raw material exporter such as Australia even for pure domestic investment....
Australian stock markets? - she'll be right mate!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 12:07 am

MTPockets is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Australian stock markets? - she'll be right mate!
ermmm..... aye yeah - the australian market is obviously completely immune from global carnage because...because...it's so far away? ...takes so long to fly to?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.