British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What is a good second language to learn ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-good-second-language-learn-111077/)

Steve & Family Sep 6th 2002 3:35 pm

What is a good second language to learn ?

Hi,

In the interest of my children I was wondering what other langauges the Perthians learn at school. My oldest daughter (age 5) is currently learning French (and she is very good for her age).

Thankyou

Steve
Heading to Perth

Perth Helena Sep 6th 2002 3:57 pm

Re: What is a good second language to learn ?

Originally posted by Steve & Family:
Hi,

In the interest of my children I was wondering what other langauges the Perthians learn at school. My oldest daughter (age 5) is currently learning French (and she is very good for her age).

Thankyou

Steve
Heading to Perth
French is a common second language in schools here, so that's a good one. Italian's fairly common in private Catholic schools.

http://www.eddept.wa.edu.au/ is the Education Dept's website. Look under the "Parents" section and then look up "LOTE" (Languages Other Than English). You should find info on what languages are taught in what schools.

Good luck,

Helena

ptlabs Sep 6th 2002 4:14 pm

Hmm.... I wonder if anyone's interested in learning any of the major Asian languages - after all, Australia's closest neighbour is an Asian giant.

I know a U.S. colleague who speaks/reads/writes English (natively), Spanish (took a major in his bachelor's) as well as perfect Mandarin Chinese. I was amazed.

Peter

Originally posted by Perth Helena:
French is a common second language in schools here, so that's a good one. Italian's fairly common in private Catholic schools.

Steve & Family Sep 6th 2002 4:34 pm

My daughter will be pleased - I know she is only 5 (I don't push her) but she really enjoys learning the French language.

Kind Regards

Steve

hmiller Sep 6th 2002 4:45 pm

Originally posted by Steve & Family:
My daughter will be pleased - I know she is only 5 (I don't push her) but she really enjoys learning the French language.

Kind Regards

Steve
My daughter is also 5 and is learning both Spanish and Dutch. It is so amazing the interest they show at such a young age. I think that it is a wonderful gift for them to have.

Steve & Family Sep 6th 2002 4:53 pm

Couldn't agree more - just wished I had the opportunity when I was that young.

I can just about handle English and thats the only language I know :eek:

Don Sep 6th 2002 4:57 pm

My boy's learning 2 languages and he's only 20 months old!

hmiller Sep 6th 2002 5:00 pm

Originally posted by pleasancefamily:
That is excellent! I wish I had started my daughter out much younger. My fiance' is dutch and we plan on raising our children multi-lingual as well.

Sumatra Sep 6th 2002 8:36 pm

My girl is 5 months old and is already speaking five (5) languages.

Originally posted by pleasancefamily:

Russell Driver Sep 7th 2002 2:51 am

<Steve &amp>; "Family" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    > In the interest of my children I was wondering what other langauges the Perthians
    > learn at school. My oldest daughter (age 5) is currently learning French (and she
    > is very good for her age).
    > Thankyou
    > Steve Heading to Perth

Japanese seems a good bet, my daughter has elected for it in year 8.

Russell

--
Luck is when the paths of opportunity and preparation cross.

Don Sep 7th 2002 5:44 am

Originally posted by Sumatra:

Hi Sumatra. Which 5 languages and how many words in each?! ('Mama' 5 ways doesn't count!)

Jacqui Sep 7th 2002 8:34 am

Well it looks like the French my kids have been learning will be wasted now. They started school last week in Mandurah (near Perth) and will be doing Japanese instead! Some of the classes do Indonesian. Not sure how my eldest will cope with this, as the other kids have been learning Japanese for 3 years and she will have a lot of catching up to do.

ptlabs Sep 7th 2002 9:09 am

At 5 months old? I remember I was learning and speaking 4 languages when I was 6 years, but at 5 months, I can hardly remember a thing :)

ptlabs Sep 7th 2002 9:13 am

Japanese is relatively harder to pick up than Indonesian, IMHO. Like every oriental language, Japanese isn't based on the alphabet, which means learning the language has to be by rote memory at the beginning. Indonesian grammar and syntax is much more relaxed, and is based on the alphabet, albeit with different pronunciation.

Peter

Originally posted by Jacqui:
Well it looks like the French my kids have been learning will be wasted now. They started school last week in Mandurah (near Perth) and will be doing Japanese instead! Some of the classes do Indonesian. Not sure how my eldest will cope with this, as the other kids have been learning Japanese for 3 years and she will have a lot of catching up to do.

lizzie Sep 7th 2002 9:41 am

I bet Lord Professor Robert Winston would like to know about this child?!!!!!!

My kids could only make baby noises at 5 months old, but we liked to think we could hear the odd word (but that's being wishful)

Lizzie