Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is a good daily rate for an IT PM contracting in Sydney?

What is a good daily rate for an IT PM contracting in Sydney?

Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:50 am
Just Joined

Inspector Taggart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is a good daily rate for an IT PM contracting in Sydney?

I'll echo what the rest are saying and don't let them rip you off.

IT PMs where I am just now are on $1000+ per day, contract.

Junior positions being offered on seek for $700.

I've been told by 2 separate agents in Melbourne that they are reluctant to take on contractors who have had no previous experience in the country. Not sure if this is across the board but I would definitely have a good look around:
- Seek
- Mycareer
- Whirlpool
- Local government sites career section

Check out your eligibility for the "Living Away from Home Allowance"

Last edited by Inspector Taggart; Jan 28th 2011 at 4:52 am. Reason: Forgot to add
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

johnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Inspector Taggart
I'll echo what the rest are saying and don't let them rip you off.

IT PMs where I am just now are on $1000+ per day, contract.

Junior positions being offered on seek for $700.

I've been told by 2 separate agents in Melbourne that they are reluctant to take on contractors who have had no previous experience in the country. Not sure if this is across the board but I would definitely have a good look around:
- Seek
- Mycareer
- Whirlpool
- Local government sites career section

Check out your eligibility for the "Living Away from Home Allowance"
The OP is working in London. Experience in Australia is pretty much the same as that in the UK. I've not heard of anyone requiring "Australian experience". Wouldn't rely too much on what the agents say either.

If the OP has good PM experience then he will pick up an opportunity easily and for more money than is currently being offered. My advice, bin the current job, apply for jobs when you get here and double the rate you are now being offered.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by johnnye
The OP is working in London. Experience in Australia is pretty much the same as that in the UK. I've not heard of anyone requiring "Australian experience". Wouldn't rely too much on what the agents say either.

If the OP has good PM experience then he will pick up an opportunity easily and for more money than is currently being offered. My advice, bin the current job, apply for jobs when you get here and double the rate you are now being offered.
Hmm I dunno. They can still come up with the local experience card. But this is mainly against Indians etc. Racist Ozzies!!! I'd take this guys advice though - you'll get more money when your here.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Interestingly mate, IT PM is one of the few professions where Melbourne pays more than Sydney.

http://www.hays.com.au/salary/salarysurveyrequest.aspx

BB
Wow! Little did I know.........can't believe you went permie, BB, given that!

Neil
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

johnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by itxrd
Hmm I dunno. They can still come up with the local experience card. But this is mainly against Indians etc. Racist Ozzies!!! I'd take this guys advice though - you'll get more money when your here.
Trust me. The local experience card does not exist, you will be made to feel at home when you get here. So much easier than working in the UK. Bit unfair to suggest Aussies are racist towards Indians in the workplace - I've not seen any. Do you have any evidence of this ?
Old Jan 28th 2011, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just ask how you managed to secure a contract before arriving in Aus? We are looking at returning but my husband (who is in IT) seems to think it would be impossible to get something before we get there. Thanks in advance
Old Jan 28th 2011, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Trust me. The local experience card does not exist, you will be made to feel at home when you get here. So much easier than working in the UK. Bit unfair to suggest Aussies are racist towards Indians in the workplace - I've not seen any. Do you have any evidence of this ?
Umm dunno about that. It definitely exists. I hire IT people. Forget me though - ask a few agents. Less so against Brits admittedly as its a similar culture. But they can still use it as a reason against hiring you

And yes they are racist to Indians. I am Indian. Are you?

Thats just the way it is though. As long as people are aware of it before they come here its fine. Thats what makes this site so great.

And before you come back saying they are not think of this: if 3 people go for a job and they have the same level of skill - 1 is aussie, 1 is British and 1 is from India who do you think will get the job and in what order?

Its obvious and its 'racist' but really its just the way it is and maybe the way it should be. I'm not complaining at all but thinking anything otherwise is just not clever
Old Jan 28th 2011, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Umm dunno about that. It definitely exists. I hire IT people. Forget me though - ask a few agents. Less so against Brits admittedly as its a similar culture. But they can still use it as a reason against hiring you

And yes they are racist to Indians. I am Indian. Are you?

Thats just the way it is though. As long as people are aware of it before they come here its fine. Thats what makes this site so great.

And before you come back saying they are not think of this: if 3 people go for a job and they have the same level of skill - 1 is aussie, 1 is British and 1 is from India who do you think will get the job and in what order?

Its obvious and its 'racist' but really its just the way it is and maybe the way it should be. I'm not complaining at all but thinking anything otherwise is just not clever
My race is irrelevant to the question you asked. I also do a lot of hiring. I take people on merit, skin colour doesn't matter. Seriously though, you probably need to improve your attitude to the way thing are here in order to make a success of it.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

My race is irrelevant to the question you asked. I also do a lot of hiring. I take people on merit, skin colour doesn't matter. Seriously though, you probably need to improve your attitude to the way thing are here in order to make a success of it.
Yes I am sure you do but unfortunately not everyone else does. Shame but thats life

p.s I am making a success of it - I earn loadsamoney here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But it helps that I was born and raised in the UK. If I was straight off the boat from India I'd find it much harder. And thats a fact ;-)

Last edited by itxrd; Jan 28th 2011 at 10:36 am.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Yes I am sure you do but unfortunately not everyone else does. Shame but thats life

p.s I am making a success of it - I earn loadsamoney here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But it helps that I was born and raised in the UK. If I was straight off the boat from India I'd find it much harder. And thats a fact ;-)
Enjoy your time in Australia.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Enjoy your time in Australia.
Thanks. You too!
Old Jan 28th 2011, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

Inspector Taggart is an unknown quantity at this point

How naive is Johnnye? It's HILARIOUS

All the best to the person looking for work. You'll be grand
Old Jan 28th 2011, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Betty Boot
Can I just ask how you managed to secure a contract before arriving in Aus? We are looking at returning but my husband (who is in IT) seems to think it would be impossible to get something before we get there. Thanks in advance
I got a contract before arriving because an agent I'd worked for in the UK moved over 6 months before me and had a role I was suitable for and suggested me to the client, after 6 interviews and 5 hours of tests over a 2 month period I was given the job. Your husband is right that its very difficult to get a job before arriving, but for my personal contact I would probably not have, however seeing the market as it is now, I'm confident I would have found something shortly after.

Oh and yes, IMHO local experience does matter to a large number of employers.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Inspector Taggart
How naive is Johnnye? It's HILARIOUS

All the best to the person looking for work. You'll be grand
What a pointless comment. At least back it up with a constructive, well thought through argument, if you can.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

Aussies are racist mate, it's because they believe their way of living is the best way. It is one of the only places in the world where one can still maintain a high standard of living and have career progression without post secondary education. You're more likely to succeed in this country because you're a great bloke than the actual skills you bring to a team (to a certain extent).

The major reason Australian's are racist is because they do not understand your previous life and what your culture stands for.

Australian's don't understand how someone with multiple degrees and can work for major corporations back in your home country and then you arrive here and you lack basic communication and interpersonal skills. You're in a business meeting with some of their major clients and you keep referring to them as sir. You shake the hands of your colleagues/clients and your weak limp handshake shows your lack of presence. You're invited out for lunch on a Friday afternoon but you decline and sit at your desk working. Your team invites you for after work drinks but you never come because you don't believe in drinking. They invite you to the cricket but you decline because of your family or religious commitments. They take the piss out of you as a form of bonding and you complain they are bullying you.

There is nothing wrong with being proud of where you come from and the beliefs you hold but being accepted in this country is about adapting our way of life and slowly adding your own flavour of what you bring from your home country.

Cultural diversity.... we just don't understand you, yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.