Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is Frankston like as an area to work and live in

What is Frankston like as an area to work and live in

Old Nov 10th 2014, 1:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Default What is Frankston like as an area to work and live in

Since im still struggling with finding work up here in Wodonga ive been looking for work else where . I did a stint working in Whitehorse and loved the job but the work was only temp. I have seen 2 jobs one in Mentone and one in Frankston both in my skill set and both permanent.
I would be looking to relocate and wondering what areas are good for either of these jobs to live in and schools for a child with Aspergers who is currently in year 6.
Thanks
Mandy
Old Nov 10th 2014, 7:59 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is Frankston like as an area to work and live in

Maybe some useful posts here from post #95 onwards.

Melbournes best kept secrets - British Expats
Old Nov 10th 2014, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

They have been improving Frankston's image recently and there seems to be a lot happening there. A few of the pubs have been upgraded and look quite smart now. There is a new huge aquatic and sports centre there as well.

The beach and waterfront are nice but if you worked in Frankston then you would have a lot of surroundings to choose from to live in.

Mornington and Mount Martha are only 15-20 mins away or if you wanted something more countryfied then there is Baxter or Peacedale. You could also live Bayside from Mordialloc down to Carrum and Patterson Lakes, again 15-20 mins away.

Around Mentone is nice as well and again you'd have a fair amount of choice around that area. As far as prices go, the inland side of the Nepean Highway tends to be cheaper than beachside.

Can't help you with the services for your child as we don't have kids but hopefully someone can help you out on that.

Frankston does have a bit of a reputation and there are a few strange people there but they reckon it's a good place to buy now as prices are cheap and it will have it's day. They are certainly working hard to improve the town, it has a good shopping centre and a number of speciality shops, cinema, theatre and arts centre, quite a few restaurants so it's certainly on the up from when we first moved down here.

Hope this helps...a bit!
Old Nov 11th 2014, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the information. One job application down another to go and who knows might just be what I need.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Frankston like a football match is a game of two halves - it has it's good side and not so good side. My brother, his wife and 3 daughters have lived there since the late 80's. They started off in a nice area up the hill and his daughters went to a great primary school but it was just outside the FHS catchment area so near the end of oldest daughter's time at PS they bought down lower, closer to FHS. All 3 daughters did well at FHS and have gone to Monash, two graduated, youngest in 3rd year. They speak highly of Frankston and have made good lives there and have a nice home in a pleasant area. My brother is a career academic and sings the praises of FHS - sorry I can't comment on provision for a pupil with Asberger's. Good luck - it's not just the 'boganville' it's made out to be and as mentioned on the doorstep of the wonderful peninsula.

Have a look at this photoblog of the peninsula to get a flavour:

Scenic Weekends
Old Nov 16th 2014, 3:38 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
Thank you for the information. One job application down another to go and who knows might just be what I need.
Can't help with the area or schools info but wanted to say good luck with the apps
Old Nov 16th 2014, 6:54 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

My son affectionately refers to it as Frankganistan It's the closest stop on the train from HMAS Cerberus for the navy lads to go and do what testosterone filled boys with cash in their pockets on a weekend pass do.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for all the information. Certainly gives me something to look at.
Cresta I understand exactly what you mean being part of the military for far too long lol.
Mandy
Old Nov 18th 2014, 5:17 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

All the best Mandy,hope it all works out for ya
Old Nov 18th 2014, 9:08 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
Thanks for all the information. Certainly gives me something to look at.
Cresta I understand exactly what you mean being part of the military for far too long lol.
Mandy
It's not quite as bad as a full on garrison town lol.
I enjoyed my time there, took my lad for his first legal drink in the Frankston RSL along with my dad.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 11:31 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

I have some ex UK Navy people who live in the area and yes they refer to it as Frankganistan!!!! They seem to be ok though....not too sure about the "testosterone filled boys with cash in their pockets on a weekend pass do" aspect, if they are anything like I and my friends were then god help them!!