Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What form would our daughter be in?

What form would our daughter be in?

Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Satch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to all
Default What form would our daughter be in?

Our eldest was born in January 1998 and is currently in Year 6 here in England. We are thinking of moving to either the Sydney or Brisbane area. What form would our eldest be in?
Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:34 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: What form would our daughter be in?

My daughter is two years older than yours, and has done 75% of year 7 now, so a child the age of yours would currently be in year 5, but go into year 6 in January.

The above is current for QLD. Although, when we moved from Sydney to Brisbane she stayed in the same year set up.

Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Satch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to all

Thanks so much! We really appreciate it. It helps us answer her questions and make her feel more at ease.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:44 am
ABCDiamond

Depending on the school she goes to, year 6 may be the last year of Primary school before going to High school.

Most of QLD schools start High school in year 8, but some of them, including my daughters, start in year 7.

NSW schools start High school in year 7.

Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:11 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Satch_Boogie
Our eldest was born in January 1998 and is currently in Year 6 here in England. We are thinking of moving to either the Sydney or Brisbane area. What form would our eldest be in?
We are in Sydney and my eldest was born in April 1998. She is currently in year 5 but is among the youngest in her year. It is quite normal here to have a huge age range within one year as so many people hold their children back and don't start them in school until they are almost 6.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:28 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by binbird
We are in Sydney and my eldest was born in April 1998. She is currently in year 5 but is among the youngest in her year. It is quite normal here to have a huge age range within one year as so many people hold their children back and don't start them in school until they are almost 6.
That was like us when we were in Sydney, my daughter was the youngest in her class, but once we moved to QLD, she ended up being in the middle of the ages group, as they started year 1 earlier in QLD than they do in NSW.

That has recently been changed, and QLD children now start year 1 a bit later than they did a few years ago, more in line with NSW now.