Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What foreign language would be most useful in Australia?

What foreign language would be most useful in Australia?

Old Jul 2nd 2011, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What foreign language would be most useful in Australia?

Originally Posted by ebo1608
I mentioned to my Punjabi Sikh mate in England that one day we should meet in India and he can be my interpreter. His response was to burst out laughing and inform me that English is widely spoken as they learn it from 12 onwards. In school they start with the local lingo, then Hindi, and finish with English.
I had several Indian colleagues in my previous job who apparently all learned English from age 12 onwards and suposedly had degrees from Inidan universities where the degree subject was taught in English.

Despite that their spoken English was poor and their written English absolutely terrible. I am not exaggerating when I say that every sentence would have several mistakes in it.

My guess would be that whoever the English school teachers are in India and the uni lecturers, they are not native speakers and they teach "Indian English" - a version which a native English speaker sees as full of mistakes ...
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 9:14 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stahlvivek
Oh Mine?.I got a PR visa a week back under subclass 176.will soon land up in perth.what motivates me to choose down under?.A new enhanced lifestyle in a pollution free environment and the near indian climate.
I wish you all the best with that
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 9:30 am
Just Joined

stahlvivek is an unknown quantity at this point

My guess would be that whoever the English school teachers are in India and the uni lecturers, they are not native speakers and they teach "Indian English" - a version which a native English speaker sees as full of mistakes ...[/QUOTE]

It's true what you said, In india we actually recognise a person's native province/state, just by hearing his/her distinct English accent!.So we have 15 of them!.
Just forget the way it's taught in schools and colleges.Even the accent used by the so called English language news channels in India, will sure give a headache and stomach upset to Native speakers.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 8:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by michael_w
I learnt Chinese through a nine month course in Auckland. It's quite easy once you get over the idea of learning characters instead of an alphabet.
Hi Dear,
Is it practically possible to learn spoken chinese, without using their script?.I mean, using only pinyin english letters instead of characters.

If so, then why not chinese stop using their character scripts and fully switchover to pinyin?.If bhasa malaya and indonesia can be written in english, why not mandarin?

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 9th 2011 at 8:59 am. Reason: fixing the quote.....
Old Jul 6th 2011, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Hi Dear,
Is it practically possible to learn spoken chinese, without using their script?.I mean, using only pinyin english letters instead of characters.
It is possible to learn any spoken language without using written one.
Children do.

If so, then why not chinese stop using their character scripts and fully switchover to pinyin?.If bhasa malaya and indonesia can be written in english, why not mandarin?
In chinese one spoken word can have many meanings so switching over to alphabetic transcription (which represents sounds not meanings) is not possible.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 1:58 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mipik
In chinese one spoken word can have many meanings so switching over to alphabetic transcription (which represents sounds not meanings) is not possible.
Sounds like English.

Lots of words are spelt the same and pronounced the same but have more than one meaning.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 2:15 am
Just Joined

A very informative thread indeed!.So I need to brush up my linguistic skills.For me, it might help learning 4 languages!
1.) Reducing my English accent
2.) Recollecting and enhancing my Hindi, as it might help me connect to the larger indian community.I speak chaste tamil and a bit of kannada.
3.) Mandarin-atleast spoken, for the huge chinese presence in australia.
4.) French-for all its glamour and popularity
Old Jul 7th 2011, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bix
Sounds like English.

Lots of words are spelt the same and pronounced the same but have more than one meaning.
Every word in Chinese has many different meanings.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 11:05 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mipik
Every word in Chinese has many different meanings.
This is incorrect.

I've been learning Chinese on and off for over 20 years and this is one of the many very persistent fallacies, even from learners.

There are many homophones in Mandarin Chinese, but the tones and the fact that most Chinese words are bi- or trisyllabic (i.e. consisting of two or three characters) means that you can distinguish meaning by context.

Some 'characters' have several meanings, but really no more so than English. Just take a look at how many meanings the word 'Set' has?

The characters are quite easy to learn. I managed to learn two and a half thousand in under a year whilst studying for a completely unrelated subject at Uni (I was bored...) The meanings 'leap out' at you, because they are not alphabetic, so even if you forget the pronunciation, you can usually remember the meaning. I have actually found the spoken language much harder; some difficult sounds and of course the tones to master.

Take Japanese (can't believe Japanese hasn't been mentioned)... They adapted Chinese to write their own language but because it is completely unrelated to Chinese they evolved a part phonetic script to write the bits of their language (inflections, clitics etc) that have no Chinese equivalents, phonetically. Whenever you read it, the characters are the bits you remember straight away because they have 'meanings'. The rest is just phonetic, so you have to concentrate much harder in many cases to work out what those bits mean.

For the record, the Japanese adapted Chinese in a rather horrible way; rather like trying to write English with characters: you could do it, but the result would be rather complex and unwieldy.

Speaking of which, I know the Japanese interpreter at work and she's a very busy person, but then we do have a large Japanese community here and despite numbers being down, lots of Japanese visitors to Cairns too. In my experience, they don't seem to be nearly as good at learning English as the Chinese, so maybe Japanese may be the go, though Mandarin would certainly be useful too methinks.

Last edited by tonyk38; Jul 8th 2011 at 11:12 am.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 6:14 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FutureOz2016
but would knowledge of a foreign language be of any use?
If in Melbourne, cantonese or any indian language definitely.

Last edited by Alfresco; Jul 9th 2011 at 6:49 am. Reason: Fixed quotation.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Afrikaans.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 6:44 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

If people could learn to quote on BE then it would be a start.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 6:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Don't be ridiculous. You'll be asking them to not type in upper case or bold next.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Fixed.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 6:50 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
The Chinese will be the only ones rich enough to visit in the future.

I agree Vim.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.