British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What Foods Do You Miss From the UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-foods-do-you-miss-uk-768091/)

moneypenny20 Aug 14th 2012 3:11 am

Re: What Foods Do You Miss From the UK?

Now. ;)

martin1978 Aug 14th 2012 4:45 am

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 10226104)
There is a Hooters in Parramatta, there are Hungry Horse in various locations around outskirts of Sydney, also Hard Rock and Outback restaurants. Of all of them I reckon Outback is more American Diner style.

Or if you're feeling really rich Hurricanes.

livvyg Aug 14th 2012 6:43 am

I second the cereal, the choice here is a little sparse. Shreddies would be top of the list, then cinnamon toast crunch and then good old grapenuts!

rasen78 Aug 14th 2012 7:57 am

Originally Posted by livvyg (Post 10226341)
I second the cereal, the choice here is a little sparse. Shreddies would be top of the list, then cinnamon toast crunch and then good old grapenuts!

I LURVE grape nuts:wub:

Not there yet, so not sure what I may miss. Possibly proper bacon, but don't have it that often, or really good cheese, but am quite happy to investigate Aussie alternatives:D

We'll be fairly close to Hahndorf so some of the European foods we enjoy should be available:thumbsup:

Looking forward to increasing my cooking repertoire :nod:

chris955 Aug 14th 2012 8:03 am

For us it would be in reverse, what food do we miss from Australia ? For me it is Dim Sims, that's all.

Brisneyland Aug 14th 2012 8:55 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 10224006)
Decent sausages, real ale.

+1 I'd never seen a chicken sausage until I came here. Seriously, WTF

Brisneyland Aug 14th 2012 9:01 am

I notice that many branches of Woolies around Brisbane seem to have rearranged their stores to be just like the UK where things are where you'd expect them to be. Probably how they *should* have been all along and also explains why I couldn;t find jack shit at the supermarket when I first came here.

For some strange reason though, chicken is still in 3 separate locations. A bit of it is in with the fish, some at the deli counter and the rest on the other side of the store near the pet food.

Has anyone found frozen mince here?

Shenni Aug 14th 2012 9:44 am

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 10226461)
For us it would be in reverse, what food do we miss from Australia ? For me it is Dim Sims, that's all.

Totally agree ....... usually get a bag or three when I go home and have some every day ........

moneypenny20 Aug 14th 2012 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Brisneyland (Post 10226521)
I notice that many branches of Woolies around Brisbane seem to have rearranged their stores to be just like the UK where things are where you'd expect them to be. Probably how they *should* have been all along and also explains why I couldn;t find jack shit at the supermarket when I first came here.

For some strange reason though, chicken is still in 3 separate locations. A bit of it is in with the fish, some at the deli counter and the rest on the other side of the store near the pet food.

Has anyone found frozen mince here?

:confused: Food has always been where I expect it and I've never seen chicken with fish! You've got some well weird Woolies!:lol:

Edit: Why do you want frozen mince? Can't you buy fresh and freeze it? :confused:

eddie007 Aug 14th 2012 9:58 am

The Byford two have released the following statement.

"life here in Oz is pretty ok really, being elderly we appreciate the amount of time we get basking in the sun, although we do miss radiators to curl up against......

......... Life would be complete if only we could find Whiskas supermeat with Rabbit"

moneypenny20 Aug 14th 2012 11:42 am

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 10226586)
The Byford two have released the following statement.

"life here in Oz is pretty ok really, being elderly we appreciate the amount of time we get basking in the sun, although we do miss radiators to curl up against......

......... Life would be complete if only we could find Whiskas supermeat with Rabbit"

Don't you cook for them?

eddie007 Aug 14th 2012 11:58 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 10226666)
Don't you cook for them?

What makes you think they would eat my cooking? None of the rest of the family do...

Apart from the hounds from Hell..... But they are dumb doawgs:thumbdown:... Nuff said

moneypenny20 Aug 14th 2012 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 10226689)
What makes you think they would eat my cooking? None of the rest of the family do...

Apart from the hounds from Hell..... But they are dumb doawgs:thumbdown:... Nuff said

Well tell them to find a British shop, they're sure to sell it.

eddie007 Aug 14th 2012 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 10226697)
Well tell them to find a British shop, they're sure to sell it.

Not even in pommie perf mate.... Dont think i havent looked:(

moneypenny20 Aug 14th 2012 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 10226704)
Not even in pommie perf mate.... Dont think i havent looked:(

You've got one of those funky violently expensive cook pot things, I'm sure you can find a recipe onlne.