Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Foods Do You Miss From the UK?

What Foods Do You Miss From the UK?

Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:14 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Foods Do You Miss From the UK?

Im not being rude, honest but you dont have to believe there are more, according to the facts they show that there are more in Australia, its just the way it is Im afraid. Around 1250 in the UK and around 800 in Australia so obviously not more in total numbers given the populations of the 2 places but on a per capita basis Australia is way on top, or bottom whichever way you look at it.
Im not sure where the 2600 UK stores comes from, McDonalds own figures say 1250.

Last edited by chris955; Jan 4th 2013 at 6:16 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:20 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chris955
it is so convenient to just drive through and grab something and it is cheap.
Exactly! ...
Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:45 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Im not being rude, honest but you dont have to believe there are more, according to the facts they show that there are more in Australia, its just the way it is Im afraid. Around 1250 in the UK and around 800 in Australia so obviously not more in total numbers given the populations of the 2 places but on a per capita basis Australia is way on top, or bottom whichever way you look at it.
I looked at the link you provided - 2008. The figures from my list were 2011, so 1250 in 2008, 2600 in 2011 (same list has 780 for Aus in 2011). There is approx 63 mill people in UK, and 23 mill in Aus so on the face UK has more Mcdonalds.

Aside from McDonalds there are plenty of others - as the map of one road near me shows (by the way click the next, and you get another 10 still within 1 1/2 miles of me, and so on). And all of these offer free or cheap delivery as there is so much competition.

Just had another look at your link - around 1250 restaurants (784 owned by McD, and 465 franchised = 1249). There are 519 in store restaurants, and 735 drive throughs plus 9 McCafes. Grand total = 2512. I did wonder if the instores and drive throughs were part of the 1250, but the numbers don't match - there is 1254 other types of restaurant, or 1263 when you add the cafes!
Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:49 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I looked at the link you provided - 2008. The figures from my list were 2011, so 1250 in 2008, 2600 in 2011 (same list has 780 for Aus in 2011). There is approx 63 mill people in UK, and 23 mill in Aus so on the face UK has more Mcdonalds.

Aside from McDonalds there are plenty of others - as the map of one road near me shows (by the way click the next, and you get another 10 still within 1 1/2 miles of me, and so on). And all of these offer free or cheap delivery as there is so much competition.

Just had another look at your link - around 1250 restaurants (784 owned by McD, and 465 franchised = 1249). There are 519 in store restaurants, and 735 drive throughs plus 9 McCafes. Grand total = 2512. I did wonder if the instores and drive throughs were part of the 1250, but the numbers don't match - there is 1254 other types of restaurant, or 1263 when you add the cafes!
So many numbers, my head hurts! ...
Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:50 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

I miss vegetables that don't go off in three days, in the fridge or not. Is that a climate thing or an agricultural practice thing?
Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:53 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
So many numbers, my head hurts! ...
Yes I agree, all I know is that in 2011there were 1250 McDonalds in the UK. Whatever, there are way too many in the world
Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:54 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I agree, all I know is that in 2011there were 1250 McDonalds in the UK. Whatever, there are way too many in the world
In the US they have a little plaque in them telling you what number stores they are. Do they do that in the UK as well?
Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:55 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'll agree with you there - there are too many in the world
Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Zen10
In the US they have a little plaque in them telling you what number stores they are. Do they do that in the UK as well?
I have never seen one but to be honest I dont like to spend too much time in them.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 7:03 pm
Banned

I have never seen one but to be honest I dont like to spend too much time in them.
I lived on MacDonalds the first time I was in the states. Don't think I have ever been in a UK one, and certainly have never been in an Australian one. That's why I wondered if all stores are numbered or just US ones.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 10:15 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

I think one of the big differences between UK and Aus, and possibly why there appear to be more fast food places in Aus, is that they all seem to be grouped together in Aus, whereas, in the UK, you will tend to only find one or the other.

So, when driving around and you see a McD's you will be pretty certain to also see a Hungry Jacks, KFC, Red Rooster, Pizza Hut <add any other name> in that area.

In the UK, it tends to be either or. Not sure if it is planning laws etc? Motorway service stations are the obvious exception to that.

Also, the outlets in Aus tend to have the outdoor play areas in them. Very rare in the UK.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 11:55 pm
Banned

Not sure if someone has already posted this, but here are some figures for numbers of MacDonald's:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/fo...ds-restaurants

Most relevant stats being

US - 12,804
UK - 1,115
Aus - 701

So with population stats

US - 311,000,000
UK - 63,000,000
Aus - 23,000,000

Gives us roughly

US - 1 store for every 24,000 people
UK - 1 store for every 56,000 people
Aus - 1 store for every 33,000 people

Draw you own conclusions!
Old Jan 5th 2013, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Zen10
Not sure if someone has already posted this, but here are some figures for numbers of MacDonald's:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/fo...ds-restaurants

Most relevant stats being

US - 12,804
UK - 1,115
Aus - 701

So with population stats

US - 311,000,000
UK - 63,000,000
Aus - 23,000,000

Gives us roughly

US - 1 store for every 24,000 people
UK - 1 store for every 56,000 people
Aus - 1 store for every 33,000 people

Draw you own conclusions!
Or as already posted for Mcdonalds http://geography.about.com/gi/o.htm?...7s_restaurants

US - 18590 or 1 for every 16730 people
England (meaning UK) - 2,600 or 1 for every 24230 people
Aus - 780 or 1 for every 29487 people
Old Jan 5th 2013, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

All these posts about numbers of McDonalds, yet no one has pointed out the CEO of McDonalds in the UK is called Jill McDonald... wonder if she is married to someone called Ronald?
Old Jan 5th 2013, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
All these posts about numbers of McDonalds, yet no one has pointed out the CEO of McDonalds in the UK is called Jill McDonald... wonder if she is married to someone called Ronald?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.