Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Foods Do You Miss From the UK?

What Foods Do You Miss From the UK?

Old Jan 3rd 2013, 6:53 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Foods Do You Miss From the UK?

Originally Posted by Grayling
Or so many lardarses
You been checking in the mirror again,i told ya not too
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 6:54 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
McDonalds plan to open another 1300 stores worldwide this year, I doubt 300 of those will be in the UK though
I dislike the rise in popularity in both countries but I must admit I am amazed to see that Australia has 2/3rds as many as the UK but a third of the population.
See post #104
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 6:55 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
You been checking in the mirror again,i told ya not too
That's the beer....not the burgers
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 6:59 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
That's the beer....not the burgers
We'll have one of them beers before the end of the year
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 7:05 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
We'll have one of them beers before the end of the year
Indeed
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Schweppestons sausages and pork pies
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

mikasse is an unknown quantity at this point

Sandwiches ^^
Old Jan 4th 2013, 1:58 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

I have a friend from London staying with me at the moment. We were driving back from the Blue Mountains the other day and she commented on the number of fast food joints she has seen in Oz. It actually really saddens me to see a Macca's on every bloody corner, it's like Starbucks in the UK.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 7:02 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedT
I have a friend from London staying with me at the moment. We were driving back from the Blue Mountains the other day and she commented on the number of fast food joints she has seen in Oz. It actually really saddens me to see a Macca's on every bloody corner, it's like Starbucks in the UK.
The simple facts are that there are many more more in Australia, it is sad there are so many and must account at least in part to the increase in obesity levels.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

The simple facts are that there are many more more in Australia, it is sad there are so many and must account at least in part to the increase in obesity levels.
I would love to put in direct competition to McDonalds

Drive through with healthy food.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:07 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
I would love to put in direct competition to McDonalds

Drive through with healthy food.
The problem seems to be that people dont want healthy food because the unhealthy stuff tastes so much better. Ask most kids what they want and it will be McDonalds or KFC.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 5:01 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

The problem seems to be that people dont want healthy food because the unhealthy stuff tastes so much better. Ask most kids what they want and it will be McDonalds or KFC.
I sadly eat more Mcshit burgers and alike than I ever did in the UK, and the problem is eating healthy here is just more agg and more expensive! ...

I drive about all day and am often busy. I don't really have the time to stop, buy something decent, consume, and give time to digest, so for me it's pretty much a drive through and eat between driving from one job to the next.

Mcshit, Hungry ole mate, KFD etc are as others have said EVERYWHERE here, and it's just 'too easy' to pop thru one of em.

My only joy as far as food goes these days is choosing 'which' bag of junk it'll be today!

I keep saying to OH that I've GOTTA start taking an esky and packed lunch as I'll eat a damn sight healthier, and no doubt save on the cost! ... but alas, one day! ...
Old Jan 4th 2013, 5:24 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

This thread seems to have gone from 'what do you miss' to 'who has more junk food places'. There are a lot of you commenting on how many there are in Aus, so many more than UK and how eating junk food is easier in Aus cos it's cheaper.

Well there probably are a lot of junk food places in Aus, the same as here in the UK - Chris may not have many near him but living in the back of beyond with only a couple of thousand people, 1 is probably more than enough. Where I live, I could walk to 3 drive through places in less than 20 mins ( less than 5 if I actually took the car and that's allowing for getting stuck at lights) but can't remember the last time I actually went to one. And I mention walk cos the young spark doesn't drive - he also doesn't walk to any of those places. He will walk to shop near them, and does on a lot of days, but he will go to one of the smaller fish and chip shops sometimes. Most of the time though he cooks for himself, and for school and college takes sandwiches or wraps. On top of the 3 drive throughs, we have no end of smaller shops doing everything from chicken, pizzas, burgers, pasties, etc

When we were in Adelaide, I actually don't recall seeing many big M's or similar, but then I wasn't looking for one. If you all want to kid yourselves that there are so many in Aus and that's the reason you're eating there go ahead but it has nothing to do being in Aus or the UK - it's personal choice.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 5:42 pm
Banned

The thing is when you live in Australia you realise just how many of these fast food places there are, as many others will agree. Its not necessarily something you look out for when on holiday. Nobody is saying that there arent these places in the UK, that would be ridiculous but they are so much more common in Australia as the figures show. This seems to be reflected in the growing obesity problem. I know it all comes down to personal choice as you say but it is so convenient to just drive through and grab something and it is cheap.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:01 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is when you live in Australia you realise just how many of these fast food places there are, as many others will agree. Its not necessarily something you look out for when on holiday. Nobody is saying that there arent these places in the UK, that would be ridiculous but they are so much more common in Australia as the figures show. This seems to be reflected in the growing obesity problem. I know it all comes down to personal choice as you say but it is so convenient to just drive through and grab something and it is cheap.
It depends on what figures you believe. This list matches Amazulus figures

http://geography.about.com/gi/o.htm?...7s_restaurants.

To me, knowing how many are in slough, I would agree with these figures. I tried googlin how many near me, but couldn't get a correct answer. There is one on the Bath road (about 1 mile), 1 on the trading estate (1/2 mile), 1 in town (2 miles), 1 in Asda ( 2 miles). If I walk down the Farnham road, there are multiple chinese, indian, chicken, pizza, etc - you name it. Google gave me 10 (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...&ved=0CNABEMgT) so I don't believe there are more in Aus. I was driving every day the first week and found only 2 chip shops in the area of Adelaide where we were staying and visiting. I don't doubt there are many more - perhaps because there are so many near me and it's not something I think about, and didn't notice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.