Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What foods do you miss from home?

Wikiposts

What foods do you miss from home?

Old Jun 17th 2004, 2:25 am
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
Nope, nearest is in Hong Kong!
Theres one in Kuala Lumpur

jib
Old Jun 17th 2004, 3:45 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Re: What foods do you miss from home?

Originally posted by salvador
Hi all! We are new members so go easy with us and break us in gently!! We are planning on emigrating later this year (Perth probably) and amidst all the planning our little nephew said 'do they have quavers in Australia?' .We don't know but it got us to thinking about what foods we might miss when we get there from old Blighty! So we thought we'd check out what foods we should bring with us to keep those homesick feelings at bay when we arrive! Any thoughts? Obviously we can't bring a Bernie Matthews Butterball Turkey with us but a few essentials would be good!
For me, it's that proper freshly-squeezed orange juice, the sort you can buy in the UK in Sainsburys & Waitrose, that doesn't tatse of chemicals or orange peel. I live on this stuff, so tried every type on sale in Melbourne supermarkets but they are all 'fake' & taste *vile*.

I'm gonna be buying a juicer....

Anya.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 3:49 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
None, cos I am home At the moment I'm far to busy enjoying being able to get all the things I missed when I was in Europe to worry about stuff from the UK that I cant get.

I am however starting to worry about not being able to proper german (Maggi) Huhner Boullion. You can get maggi chicken stock here but its just not the same. Next month could be emergency red cross parcel time!!

5 years in Germany helped me to find alternatives to MOST of the food items I was missing from the UK.

If things get really desparate for you, try this website http://www.hungryexpats.com/ Expensive but worth it when the cravings get too much
Mairi, if you can find a good kosher foodstore in Perth, they may be able to help you with the Huhner boullion (or something very similar). Worth a try....

Anya.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jib
Theres one in Kuala Lumpur

jib
I think there's one in Singapore....do I win??
Old Jun 17th 2004, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all

Tim-Tams (sort of choccie biccie I think, not my kind of thing).

If you want to try em - you can get them in Tescos. They've even got three different varieties. (all chocolate of course)

Jo
Old Jun 17th 2004, 11:05 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally posted by steve-n-jo
Tim-Tams (sort of choccie biccie I think, not my kind of thing).

If you want to try em - you can get them in Tescos. They've even got three different varieties. (all chocolate of course)

Jo

mayonaise!!!

Am I the only person who thinks this, MAyo in Oz just isn't the same,
Not complaining about Oz (lots of much better quality foods ie sea foo etc) but when I'm over there i realy miss mayo.

Alos cant stand that "chicken salt" they use on fries in KFC, Chicken Treat etc Would rather have normal salt

All downto personal tastes I suppose

KAla
Old Jun 17th 2004, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by kala
mayonaise!!!

Am I the only person who thinks this, MAyo in Oz just isn't the same,
Not complaining about Oz (lots of much better quality foods ie sea foo etc) but when I'm over there i realy miss mayo.

Alos cant stand that "chicken salt" they use on fries in KFC, Chicken Treat etc Would rather have normal salt

All downto personal tastes I suppose

KAla
Mayonnaise here has always been a problem. The 'traditional' Aussie mayo is revolting. I once saw someone make some using vinegar and condensed milk (they truly believed it was the correct method) and it tasted just like the horrible stuff you buy in the shops.

You can buy decent mayo but not in all supermarkets. You can always get a good one in delis. I'm pretty sure that Best Foods mayo is really Hellmans and the S&W brand is very similar. Alternatively buy anything that has 'whole egg' in the description. The Paul Newman one is also OK. Don't buy or try anything that's called 'traditional' or 'original recipe' or made by Praise.

I always find that as soon as a good, reasonably-priced mayo comes out that I like, they stop making it. Kraft made a nice 'whole egg' one a few years ago but you can't get it any more. Even the Hellmans that was around for a while is gone now - not enough sales apparantly.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Greasy fish and chips with mushy peas.

("Have yer got 'owt moist?")
Old Jun 17th 2004, 1:40 pm

robertd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default M&S

Dont know how true it is but I have heard from four different people all saying that there is going to be a Marks and Spencer opening in Melbourne. Once they have opened one store, I am sure many others will follow. Has anyone heard the same as me, regards Louisa
Old Jun 17th 2004, 2:15 pm
rudo1ph

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
I think there's one in Singapore....do I win??

There are several in Singapore!!!!

Old Jun 17th 2004, 9:36 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally posted by nickyc
Mayonnaise here has always been a problem. The 'traditional' Aussie mayo is revolting. I once saw someone make some using vinegar and condensed milk (they truly believed it was the correct method) and it tasted just like the horrible stuff you buy in the shops.

You can buy decent mayo but not in all supermarkets. You can always get a good one in delis. I'm pretty sure that Best Foods mayo is really Hellmans and the S&W brand is very similar. Alternatively buy anything that has 'whole egg' in the description. The Paul Newman one is also OK. Don't buy or try anything that's called 'traditional' or 'original recipe' or made by Praise.

I always find that as soon as a good, reasonably-priced mayo comes out that I like, they stop making it. Kraft made a nice 'whole egg' one a few years ago but you can't get it any more. Even the Hellmans that was around for a while is gone now - not enough sales apparantly.
Thanks for the info, I did try the hellmans last time I was over and it tasted like some dodgy cheap salad cream. I'm sure I'll find a good one if not it's up to mymum to keep sending it over

Thansk
kala
Old Jun 18th 2004, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

I will miss the sausage rolls and steak bakes from Gregg's from my adopted home, Glasgow...

Just had my last Gregg's feast today as I'll be leaving Glasgow for a long while... Why isn't there one in Northern Ireland???

Mrs JTL
Old Jun 18th 2004, 2:23 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JackTheLad
I will miss the sausage rolls and steak bakes from Gregg's from my adopted home, Glasgow...

Just had my last Gregg's feast today as I'll be leaving Glasgow for a long while... Why isn't there one in Northern Ireland???

Mrs JTL
aye but u need to wait 4 hours to get served
Old Jun 18th 2004, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

karen p is an unknown quantity at this point

I was wondering about bringing food stuffs in.

So far the only things I think I'll be bringing are
some boxes of Bisto and a small jar of marmite
(its only for me as no one else in the family likes it).

Will that be OK or will I end up having to throw it out
or pay a huge fine?

Thanks Karen
Old Jun 18th 2004, 6:42 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by salvador
Hi all! We are new members so go easy with us and break us in gently!! We are planning on emigrating later this year (Perth probably) and amidst all the planning our little nephew said 'do they have quavers in Australia?' .We don't know but it got us to thinking about what foods we might miss when we get there from old Blighty! So we thought we'd check out what foods we should bring with us to keep those homesick feelings at bay when we arrive! Any thoughts? Obviously we can't bring a Bernie Matthews Butterball Turkey with us but a few essentials would be good!
Hi

Don't want to spoil the party but I think the import of foodstuffs is a no no, I'm sure customs won't let you take anything in. So you will have to find creature comforts in Oz.

What will I miss thou? Dominos Pizza (can someone please tell me that Dominos are in Perth?)

That's about it. My cousin did inform me last year that the Ex Pats in Perth were overjoyed when they discovered Aunt Bessie was importing frozen Yorkshire puds from the UK!!

Walla

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.