Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What foods do you miss from home?

What foods do you miss from home?

Old Jun 17th 2004, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

salvador has a spectacular aura aboutsalvador has a spectacular aura aboutsalvador has a spectacular aura about
Default What foods do you miss from home?

Hi all! We are new members so go easy with us and break us in gently!! We are planning on emigrating later this year (Perth probably) and amidst all the planning our little nephew said 'do they have quavers in Australia?' .We don't know but it got us to thinking about what foods we might miss when we get there from old Blighty! So we thought we'd check out what foods we should bring with us to keep those homesick feelings at bay when we arrive! Any thoughts? Obviously we can't bring a Bernie Matthews Butterball Turkey with us but a few essentials would be good!
Old Jun 17th 2004, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

ScuntoBris will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What foods do you miss from home?

Originally posted by salvador
Hi all! We are new members so go easy with us and break us in gently!! We are planning on emigrating later this year (Perth probably) and amidst all the planning our little nephew said 'do they have quavers in Australia?' .We don't know but it got us to thinking about what foods we might miss when we get there from old Blighty! So we thought we'd check out what foods we should bring with us to keep those homesick feelings at bay when we arrive! Any thoughts? Obviously we can't bring a Bernie Matthews Butterball Turkey with us but a few essentials would be good!
Welcome

Mushy Peas with my fish and chips, talking of chips, proper chips not frozen ones.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 9:50 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Robinsons Orange and Pineapple cordial, Frazzles and Jelly Tots - I am really, REALLY missing them after 4 months of cold turkey - even more so at the moment because my Mum *thinks* my sister remembered to get me some as she is currently in the air en route from the UK back to NZ - find out Friday!!! Can't wait!!!
Old Jun 17th 2004, 9:55 am
Waitin for my RPL result.

phyonics is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, and welcome to the forums

Chocolate seems to be a recurring one, in as much as the Australian choccy tastes different, and people from the UK miss chocolate as it used to be 'back home'

Marko
Old Jun 17th 2004, 9:57 am
ABCDiamond

Malt Loaf from Safeways ! I only started thinking about it yesterday.

You do get used to the Australian Chocolate

Old Jun 17th 2004, 10:09 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Welcome!

It comes up again and again (there's even a current thread on it): Marmite! You'll find Vegemite and something that calls itself Marmite but isn't, and a few other clones, but unless you live in Brisbane you won't find the real stuff (and even in Brissie there's only one reported sighting).

Of course you'll probably find a lot of wonderful things that you can't get here, so it evens out. Some people swear by Tim-Tams (sort of choccie biccie I think, not my kind of thing).

Other perennial favourites to lament are decent English-style beer (the Aussie ones are much paler) and cider (Aussie cider is, well, mostly awful). On the plus side the wine's much cheaper!
Old Jun 17th 2004, 10:37 am
Waitin for my RPL result.

phyonics is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't start me thinking about beer again.......
Old Jun 17th 2004, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by phyonics
Don't start me thinking about beer again.......
Another VB please love......................................

Sorry meant to ask for it not type it!
Old Jun 17th 2004, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ScuntoBris
Welcome

Mushy Peas with my fish and chips, talking of chips, proper chips not frozen ones.

In Perth there is a fantastic fish and chip shop. It's just by where you catch the ferries (at least it was there a couple of years ago!) Best fish & chips I've had in years!!!

I know this doesn't help you ScuntoBris, but it might help others who are moving to Perth, and if ever you're there on holiday.....
Old Jun 17th 2004, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Salli
In Perth there is a fantastic fish and chip shop. It's just by where you catch the ferries (at least it was there a couple of years ago!) Best fish & chips I've had in years!!!

I know this doesn't help you ScuntoBris, but it might help others who are moving to Perth, and if ever you're there on holiday.....
Perth int that in Scotland somewhere?........................................

Only kidding

Old Jun 17th 2004, 10:54 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

None, cos I am home At the moment I'm far to busy enjoying being able to get all the things I missed when I was in Europe to worry about stuff from the UK that I cant get.

I am however starting to worry about not being able to proper german (Maggi) Huhner Boullion. You can get maggi chicken stock here but its just not the same. Next month could be emergency red cross parcel time!!

5 years in Germany helped me to find alternatives to MOST of the food items I was missing from the UK.

If things get really desparate for you, try this website http://www.hungryexpats.com/ Expensive but worth it when the cravings get too much
Old Jun 17th 2004, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

salvador has a spectacular aura aboutsalvador has a spectacular aura aboutsalvador has a spectacular aura about

I think we'll also miss M&S food! M&S isnt over there is it??
Old Jun 17th 2004, 1:53 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't miss UK food because there is so much other better stuff. If I feel like I want something we can make it.

Next trip back to Europe I will be getting a cheese platter of the smelliest mouldiest stuff going and stick it on a fiery vindy. Don't think the Mrs would want to share a bed with me after that though.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 2:18 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

I think we'll also miss M&S food! M&S isnt over there is it??
Nope, nearest is in Hong Kong!
Old Jun 17th 2004, 2:20 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
I don't miss UK food because there is so much other better stuff. If I feel like I want something we can make it.

I'm with BP. I don't miss any pommie food when I'm in Oz - I just replace it with all the things I like in Oz. However, I do miss decent sushi here in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.