Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is the first thing you do?

What is the first thing you do?

Old Mar 27th 2008, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

djamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant future
Default Re: What is the first thing you do?

It will take you a week to stop smiling alone.

Don't worry about any aspect of flying/landing, getting to a hotel or other form of accommodation. It will be like going on holiday to start with. Just enjoy the fact you've arrived in a great country and are starting a new life. The rest will fall into place.

Good luck
Old Mar 27th 2008, 4:30 am

Jumbo_Celcius is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
And you are tied to this place how?
...only for as long as it takes me to get another job, buy a ticket and close down my bank account.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 4:52 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jumbo_Celcius
...only for as long as it takes me to get another job, buy a ticket and close down my bank account.
A ticket within Oz?
Old Mar 27th 2008, 4:56 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by SW3105
So you've just been on a long flight and landed in Australia. You're tired, jet lagged and just want to relax, so you have all your suitcases, hand luggage, baby on your hip. You're standing outside the airport and ....

What happens next?

What is the best thing to do? Arrange a rental property online before you go out? Book into a hostel? Hotel? Become great friends with other BE members (I'm friendly, I don't bite!) and stay at their house?
First thing we did was go to the toilet and get some food.

We met our relatives at the airport as we were staying with them until we found our own home. Turned out to be a nightmare, so we bought a house we didn't really want through desperation

So i hope you do it the right way, probably rent first, so you can check out the areas before you make a final decision.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 5:17 am

A ticket within Oz?
That is the big question, to which I cannot provide an answer.........
Old Mar 27th 2008, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

make friends with some BE members BEFORE you go so you can arrange to meet up with them once you arrive and benefit from their wisdom about where to go for cars, where's a nice area to rent etc etc etc

first thing to do when you arrive..... get yourself to that hotel you've booked yourself into for a few nights, then ring said friend and arrange the meet up
Old Mar 27th 2008, 5:44 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jumbo_Celcius
That is the big question, to which I cannot provide an answer.........
Well, happy travels
Old Mar 27th 2008, 6:03 am

Well, happy travels
Gracias amigo
Old Mar 27th 2008, 6:10 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know which area you will be heading for? If so, why don't you book a furnished holiday let for a few weeks or so, at least then you'll have all the comforts of home. If you are moving to the northern suburbs, then I can give you some links if you like.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:54 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

gracias amigo? a big clue to future climes?
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:08 am

or is it "merci ami"...........?

OK smarty pants, name the tune I'm listening to just now?

"make believe ,that you don't see the tears, just let me be, in private 'cos each time I see you, I break down and cryyyyyyyyyyy, aiiiii, aii, aiiii......."
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:17 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Walk on by.

Song title and advice rolled into one.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
Walk on by.

Song title and advice rolled into one.
ooooh, the right answer and hostility rolled into one, that's twice in the past half hour you've proved me wrong, being an insecure individual I no longer feel safe behind my keyboard, maybe a game of dungeons and dragons will bring me back to my comfort zone!!
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:23 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Dunno how getting the title right is "proving you wrong". Must be the insecurities that you speak of. Enjoy the D&D.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:26 am

You are obviously my intellectual superior, I doth my cap to thee sir, allow me to buy you a cup of Mensa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.