Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is the IT field like in Oz?

What is the IT field like in Oz?

Old Oct 3rd 2009, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

CanadaDerek will become famous soon enough
Default What is the IT field like in Oz?

Lived in the Gold Coast for a few years and would love to go back. Have an internet/web design company and considering relocating to Sydney or the Gold Coast...

Does anyone have any insight into the growth in the local market?
Old Oct 4th 2009, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the IT field like in Oz?

Having worked in several IT companies in aus over the last few years I find the work is very similar to the UK.

Theres only a couple of differences, australian companies seem to look after their staff a lot more. They spend time and money to do so organising events and social things more. One place I worked they used to bring a beer trolley round every friday and people would sit at their desks drinking beer all afternoon.

Secondly, they have very different opinons about things. Its hard to explain but they seem to have completly opposite views on the best ways to do certain things. I know in every company around the world people disagree and have different ideas but here its strange. For example you could come up with a better way of doing something, a logical, sensible more efficent way, but they wont like it. Why? because thats not the way its been done in the past. Ah but this way is far better you might argue, and they would agree and say they can see its better but they will do it the old way anyway.

Like I say, its hard to explain, but I have found myself putting forward things at meetings only to have several aussies oppose it and act as if they cannot comprehend different ways of doing things, they can see its better and understand the logic but wont want to do it.
Its a subtle difference but it does come up often.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
Having worked in several IT companies in aus over the last few years I find the work is very similar to the UK.

Theres only a couple of differences, australian companies seem to look after their staff a lot more. They spend time and money to do so organising events and social things more. One place I worked they used to bring a beer trolley round every friday and people would sit at their desks drinking beer all afternoon.

Secondly, they have very different opinons about things. Its hard to explain but they seem to have completly opposite views on the best ways to do certain things. I know in every company around the world people disagree and have different ideas but here its strange. For example you could come up with a better way of doing something, a logical, sensible more efficent way, but they wont like it. Why? because thats not the way its been done in the past. Ah but this way is far better you might argue, and they would agree and say they can see its better but they will do it the old way anyway.

Like I say, its hard to explain, but I have found myself putting forward things at meetings only to have several aussies oppose it and act as if they cannot comprehend different ways of doing things, they can see its better and understand the logic but wont want to do it.
Its a subtle difference but it does come up often.
Agreed - think the work is similar but I've never had that opposition to change thing occur just for the sake of it. Haven't come across that one yet.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 9:25 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

I run a web design business from home and business is pretty good for me. I wouldnt want to depend on it to keep a family etc, but as a second income its great.