Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What to expect when importing my motorbikes

What to expect when importing my motorbikes

Old Sep 13th 2010, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

fathermarc is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink What to expect when importing my motorbikes

I´ve heard so many stories about taxation and charges that I want to hear from someone that has imported their bikes recently. I have a couple of bikes that I just don´t want to let go.
Regards,
Marc
Old Sep 13th 2010, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to expect when importing my motorbikes

Originally Posted by fathermarc
I´ve heard so many stories about taxation and charges that I want to hear from someone that has imported their bikes recently. I have a couple of bikes that I just don´t want to let go.
Regards,
Marc

Hi, I expect it will be the same as importing a car. It will be valued in Australia by a valuation dealer and then you pay duty plus GST on the duty. Quarantine/cleaning costs possibly, rego, plate(s) and roadworthy.

Paulry on the motorbike thread is importing his, but it will be some time yet before he gets here still.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=479975
Old Sep 14th 2010, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of

Regards,
Marc
From what I read and heard, only those who are really attached to their bikes and maybe the bikes are a bit unique takes them over to OZ. But again I have no experience in this so I could be wrong.

I'll be selling mine, in fact I put it for sale this week...feel miserable, I love it and I will miss it

Cheers
B!K3R
Old Sep 14th 2010, 10:12 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

I've only have first hand experience with a few guys that brought in heavily modified bikes or choppers & they all had a real PITA time getting them in.

Most were compliance / emission issues. The last one to bring his bike in was lucky enought to be able to borrow all stock parts from guys over here, and it simplified the matter considerably. 2 days later it was back to its modified state

If you really dont want to leave them behind, its simple. Bring them.

If you are looking at the high second hand value of bikes over here, by the time you get yours imported it wont make much difference, you will just have a few more grey hairs, and the Australian red tape will have sent you a little more over the edge

High value, race bikes, rare bikes & old timers are worth bringing. anything else probably better not to.

p.s If you are by chance bringing over a chopper or similar, call Sean at pommy choppers in QLD. http://www.choppersaustralia.com/services.html#Pommy Choppers...

He brought one over nearly 3 years ago, and it was a nightmare. I believe it took nearly a year before it was cleared & roadworthy.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 10:53 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I'm importing an old bike (P reg) which is in near pristine condition with less than 20 000 miles on the clock. I looked at the costs to import it and it's not too bad if you include it in your container with the household stuff. I'll pick up on the facts when I return home this evening and will let you know but (off the top of my head) import duty is low/zero for motorcycles and you pay tax on the value of the bike. I'm counting on the value of my bike being low because it's an oldish model. The crate for the bike is about £250 and then there's the cost to register it in Australia. The import permit costs AU$50.

The main reason I'm shipping mine is I figured I won't get much for it in the UK and it could be ages before I'm able to budget for another one in Aus.

Good luck!
Old Sep 14th 2010, 11:12 am
Just Joined

fathermarc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everyone that wrote a reply. I feel a little more confidant after reading the last responce. I couldn't leave them behind. One was my father-in-law's which is 47 years old now and is part of the family, the other is my Ducati 999S which is my pride and joy. I reacon they will both worth the headache.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone that wrote a reply. I feel a little more confidant after reading the last responce. I couldn't leave them behind. One was my father-in-law's which is 47 years old now and is part of the family, the other is my Ducati 999S which is my pride and joy. I reacon they will both worth the headache.
Cool.

Make sure you get the Import Certificates for both of them before you ship. Without those you won't get them into Oz.

Good luck!
Old Sep 14th 2010, 11:47 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, by the sounds of it they're definately worth taking. I'll provide my verdict when my bike has arrived and it's on the road late December-ish.

Edit: As far as I'm aware, you're only allowed to import one personal use vehicle per year.

Last edited by paulry; Sep 14th 2010 at 11:50 am.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paulry
Yes, by the sounds of it they're definately worth taking. I'll provide my verdict when my bike has arrived and it's on the road late December-ish.

Edit: As far as I'm aware, you're only allowed to import one personal use vehicle per year.

Oh yeah...and that's changing to one vehicle per person per every 5 yrs at some point!

Last edited by Alfresco; Sep 14th 2010 at 12:03 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 12:02 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Oh yeah...and that's changing to one vehicle per person per every 5 yrs at some point!
It looks like DIAC have taken over the vehicle imports department
Old Sep 14th 2010, 12:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paulry
It looks like DIAC have taken over the vehicle imports department